My proposed rule change acoss all sports, college & pro (replay related)

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Put an end to over-officiating via the use of instant replay (prime example the ridiculous out of bounds replay review in OT last night that decided the game)... here's my rule, and apply it universally to all sports, college & pro...

Officials can look at each replay angle available at half speed only one time. If no obvious overturn, we play on, end of story. No more 10 minute delays. No more freeze frame. No more piecing a replay together from one angle synced up with another angle to see if the ball was out before the knee was down to "get it right" crap.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After reviewing this thread for 10 minutes.

tenor.gif

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
They got it right technically, but it was wrong in spirit. For 100 years of basketball, that play has been ball back to the dribbling team, and nobody ever complained once.

And toilet paper wasn't commercially invented in the western world until mid 1800s. So for the 66 millions of years before that we did a lot of other stuff to get poop off our butts.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
They got it right technically, but it was wrong in spirit. For 100 years of basketball, that play has been ball back to the dribbling team, and nobody ever complained once.
I’m sure folks complained once replay became available. Kind of like Auburn fans and the double dribble non-call - most fans don’t know the rules well enough to spot that missed call without replay. I certainly missed it live. I doubt it’s even mentioned in the 90s.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Get rid of instant replay except for the following scenarios: scoring

And that’s it.

Not for turnovers. Not for fouls/penalties. Not for first downs. They get it wrong half the time for these anyway and it slows down the games.

Just for points.

Refereeing is a human element of the game.

If you want to try and eliminate errors put sensors on everything and everyone and have a computer tell you what happened.

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Dunder's proposal, and here's why. I don't trust refs not to screw my team, because:

• incompetence
  • having a bad day
  • not wanting to admit that they made a mistake
  • sports betting
  • bribery
  • extortion
  • bias against a coach
  • bias against a team
  • bias for a team or coach or player
  • because their conference is expanding next year, and if they don't have a ranked team this year, the conference loses its automatic BCS bowl bid, which would be an embarrassment after adding Miamah and Va Tech to the conference. And the flagship team of the conference is going to get their arses handed to them by Ron Zook if they don't intervene. Literally, millions of dollars are at stake for the conference. And no replay yet, so it is easy to get away with.
  • because of your own conference's bias towards a few teams sometimes

With instant replay, a few bad calls are going to slip through, but it is hard to flat out cheat, and there is a bit less chance that gross incompetence by refs is going to ruin a game.

I'll agree with the fact that it isn't needed in basketball games between two teams that I don't care about. We probably don't need it in baseball which is already too long for a lot of folks. I'm patient, myself. Basketball and baseball have more margin for error. You can get screwed out of a few games and still make a championship run. One loss usually ruins your season in college football.

Ninjax

Nov 21, 2017
I've been saying this since before toilet paper was invented...For all replays, have five individuals provide the review in remote locations. All five would need to agree on the matter in order to overturn the call in question. They have 30 seconds to complete the review. Once a review is made, then the refs on the field or court can determine clock and spotting issues as needed.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Another question: "Are Refs really as incompetent as they seem or are they just crooked?"

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There needs to be a time limit on reviews. If the standard is "indisputable" evidence, and it's not immediately obvious, then it's not "indisputable." Call stands and play on. Shouldn't take any longer than 60 seconds.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
And toilet paper wasn't commercially invented in the western world until mid 1800s. So for the 66 millions of years before that we did a lot of other stuff to get poop off our butts.

upload_2019-4-10_0-21-1.jpeg

66 million, huh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator