My take on the Offense vs LSU

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
After rewatching the game here's what i noticed.

1) our play calling was atrocious. (i know...surprise...surprise). LSU knew exactly what we were going to do before we did it on almost every play.

2) we're asking franks to be a conservative game manager which makes no sense with his skill set.

3) the routes our receivers run are completely nonsensical given what the defense is giving us. We don't take advantage of mismatches and run right into where the coverage is. This is making Franks look a lot worse than he is.

4) our receivers are also poorly coached and don't execute some of the more complex plays very well.

5) we don't get the play call in fast enough and Nuss/Nord are the 2 guys responsible for doing so.

Bottomline: Nussmeier is a fu*king clown And i was blown away at how often he missed easy adjustments or mismatches Dude is just clueless and he should be canned along with Nord and Dixon after the early signing period!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. I agree.

an.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

1) our play calling was atrocious. (i know...surprise...surprise). LSU knew exactly what we were going to do before we did it on almost every play.

2) we're asking franks to be a conservative game manager which makes no sense with his skill set.

Been saying these two things since week 1, we are running and LDR pea shooter offense for a guy who is has a gunslinger cannon skill set. And you don't expect the offense not to have rhythm.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I am guessing your view is that Franks has a big but not particularly accurate arm without a great sense of the field. To counter this UF seemingly has him throwing into about one-quarter of the field, that his half the field and only short. Maybe even one-eighth if you consider the middle half almost completely removed from the play book.

Given his big arm and lack of accuracy, one has to wonder why not have him throw the deep some more. A pick 30 yards down field is no where near as costly as one in the areas they have Franks throwing. They also might uncrowd the areas you are hoping to have him throw into some.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

3) the routes our receivers run are completely nonsensical given what the defense is giving us. We don't take advantage of mismatches and run right into where the coverage is. This is making Franks look a lot worse than he is.

4) our receivers are also poorly coached and don't execute some of the more complex plays very well.

5) we don't get the play call in fast enough and Nuss/Nord are the 2 guys responsible for doing so.

Bottomline: Nussmeier is a fu*king clown And i was blown away at how often he missed easy adjustments or mismatches Dude is just clueless and he should be canned along with Nord and Dixon after the early signing period!
:clap:

We appear to coach scared to death. #3 and #4 stand out each time I go back and watch a replay. I don't know that I've ever seen a big school college team have so many instances of receivers running their routes on top of each other, not to mention getting stuck on defenders or knocked off their pattern so frequently.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
he should be canned TODAY

Today. He should be gone right now. Actually two years ago when
he managed his first 100th ranked offense at UF.

There is nonreason to keep him. Anyone who is inclined to play for us will be even more inclined with a competent OC. We kept Driskel despite changing coaches and even added Brissett. Ugly kept Eason. It happens all the time.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We appear to coach scared to death. #3 and #4 stand out each time I go back and watch a replay.

So true. There isnt a shred of aggressiveness in our play calling. We make Will Muschimp look like a high-flying offense.

I don't know that I've ever seen a big school college team have so many instances of receivers running their routes on top of each other, not to mention getting stuck on defenders or knocked off their pattern so frequently.

Our wide receiver coach was a running back coach from FIU.

We still look like we're coached by a running back coach from FIU

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
:clap:

We appear to coach scared to death. #3 and #4 stand out each time I go back and watch a replay. I don't know that I've ever seen a big school college team have so many instances of receivers running their routes on top of each other, not to mention getting stuck on defenders or knocked off their pattern so frequently.
I agree...i've never seen anything like it!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Given his big arm and lack of accuracy, one has to wonder why not have him throw the deep some more. A pick 30 yards down field is no where near as costly as one in the areas they have Franks throwing. They also might uncrowd the areas you are hoping to have him throw into some.
The team has unskilled or inexperienced defensive backs also but we act like there's no way we can test them. I don't get it.

Frank's is generally accurate. What he's not is quick with the ball and not good at noticing defenses & spies and the like.

I agree with you the short passing game is high risk of a Pick 6 and low gain when we complete them. Gun slingers are going to throw some interceptions, even the Wuerfels, Favres, or Grossmans. We should be more than willing to give up one or two interceptions in exchange for four or more passing touchdowns (or TDs setup by passing).

These SEC teams are terrible at pass coverage in the secondary. We are actually one of the best secondaries even w true freshmen. We have to start taking advantage of that and quit trying to run into the strength of their defenses.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
Today. He should be gone right now. Actually two years ago when
he managed his first 100th ranked offense at UF.

There is nonreason to keep him. Anyone who is inclined to play for us will be even more inclined with a competent OC. We kept Driskel despite changing coaches and even added Brissett. Ugly kept Eason. It happens all the time.
Law...i wanted the son of a b*tch fired last yr but we can't fire him right now because the rest of the offensive staff (besides seider) is worse than he is! Who would call the plays? Butters?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've asked this before, if we bring in another OC do we really think Butters will let this new guy take over and run the offense? I'm inclined to think Butters injects his BS and we see something similar to what we're seeing now.

This team...not just the offense, but the entire team, is infected w/ mediocrity. You see this from programs that are generally failures or mediocre and a new staff comes in and basically gives the remaining players a wake up call: "Yo! The jig is up! There's a new sheriff in town!"

I don't think a new OC is going to change much. As long as Butters is here....we have Nord coaching TE's....we have a RB's coach leading the WR group.....etc, nothing is going to change. It needs to start at the top.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe they need to put Nuss back on the sideline again so he can take charge first hand and be a calming influence on the QB etc. :D

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Someone brought up the obvious to him about not using the tight ends. Many of us were saying over and over before the game that it was a necessary part in order to win that game. He answered that "we need to work on that". WTH? Its year 3 and he recruited a few TEs with the thought that we actually use them in games. This is just one small example how the staff is clueless in scheming. How many dump offs have we completed during a blitz? When its short 3rd down yardage, what do we do? The same thing over and over. No creativity. Highly predictable. Everyone and their mother knows our next move. Whats going to change? I see nothing. Talent just wont fix it.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Gun slingers are going to throw some interceptions, even the Wuerfels, Favres, or Grossmans. We should be more than willing to give up one or two interceptions in exchange for four or more passing touchdowns (or TDs setup by passing).

Yes, I am of the school of thought that you can throw too few picks. I take the few picks in some offenses as a sign that they are not taking enough risk. Balls will be deflected either by DBs or off the hands of receivers. Some of those balls will be picked. That is a cost of scoring more points yourself.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've asked this before, if we bring in another OC do we really think Butters will let this new guy take over and run the offense? I'm inclined to think Butters injects his BS and we see something similar to what we're seeing now.

This team...not just the offense, but the entire team, is infected w/ mediocrity. You see this from programs that are generally failures or mediocre and a new staff comes in and basically gives the remaining players a wake up call: "Yo! The jig is up! There's a new sheriff in town!"

I don't think a new OC is going to change much. As long as Butters is here....we have Nord coaching TE's....we have a RB's coach leading the WR group.....etc, nothing is going to change. It needs to start at the top.

Not sure if Mac is running the offense much this season. When he is asked about it he sure acts like he isn't that hands on and gives replies like we talk about how things are going at halftime etc. He probably wants this type of offense but I think he might let Nuss run much of it. That offense at Colorado State the last season didn't look a lot like this imo but I think Baldwin was allowed to run that himself mostly.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Someone brought up the obvious to him about not using the tight ends. Many of us were saying over and over before the game that it was a necessary part in order to win that game. He answered that "we need to work on that". WTH? Its year 3 and he recruited a few TEs with the thought that we actually use them in games. This is just one small example how the staff is clueless in scheming. How many dump offs have we completed during a blitz? When its short 3rd down yardage, what do we do? The same thing over and over. No creativity. Highly predictable. Everyone and their mother knows our next move. Whats going to change? I see nothing. Talent just wont fix it.

TEs for the most part catch balls over the middle. The middle half of the field has apparently been declared out of bounds for the UF offense.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TEs for the most part catch balls over the middle. The middle half of the field has apparently been declared out of bounds for the UF offense.

TEs have all but disappeared lately in the pass game. Franks needs to learn to use that part of the field to progress. They need to risk the mistakes if that is why they are avoiding calling plays there. He isn't going to have a chance to get better if they keep this mess up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TEs have all but disappeared lately in the pass game. Franks needs to learn to use that part of the field to progress.
They arent even calling TE passes and they keep the TEs in pass blocking often. Our tackles cant stop a speed rush alone.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
TEs have all but disappeared lately in the pass game. Franks needs to learn to use that part of the field to progress. They need to risk the mistakes if that is why they are avoiding calling plays there. He isn't going to have a chance to get better if they keep this mess up.

TEs can be used in many instances for mis matches in coverage and its just being wasted. This is only one of the problems but its a big one in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator