I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone ever been? If so, any can't-miss things to do? Can be either the touristy stuff or off the beaten path. Bonus points for local places to eat with good food, drinks, and atmosphere (i.e. no chains).

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone ever been? If so, any can't-miss things to do? Can be either the touristy stuff or off the beaten path. Bonus points for local places to eat with good food, drinks, and atmosphere (i.e. no chains).
I’ve been several times for meetings. To me it’s just like Daytona. Never found any really good seafood despite going to numerous places recommended by folks that live there.

Long story short, it sucks.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I’ve been several times for meetings. To me it’s just like Daytona. Never found any really good seafood despite going to numerous places recommended by folks that live there.

Long story short, it sucks.
Well that sucks :lol: Appreciate the heads up.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Well that sucks :lol: Appreciate the heads up.
Reaction GIF by CBS

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Gotta agree with @MJMGator here; Not a great place. Some of the places outside Myrtle, like Murrel’s Inlet are nice, but Myrtle, from my limited experience was a South Carolina version of Daytona or Panama City.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Seafood is mostly deep fried Calabash style. Florida seafood much better.

Alabama theater is a good place to see a show. Its up toward Noth Myrtle.

I have a place in North Myrtle, but I am mostly a drink beer on the beach and oogle the middle age women or cruise out to Bird Island and oogle the middle age women.

Up in NMB, Captain Archie's on the water, Board Walk Billy's on he water, or hit up Barefoot Landing. Broadway at he Beach is ok too.

MB is not to be confused with South Beach.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Go north to Emerald Isle or south to Pawley’s Island/Litchfield Beach.
I’ve never been to MB because people said to stay away.

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Panhandle of FL.
White sandy beaches and clear water.
Yeah I have that where I live, not really looking for more of the same. Also, I'll be up that way near the Carolinas, so was looking for something around there. Could go as far north as Virginia, though.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
MJ summed it up. It's Carolina Daytona. A tourist trap, that's about it. I wish I could say different but I'd be lying.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
When I was a kid,my family vacationed every year, at Myrtle Beach. When I graduated High School, that's where all graduates went, Myrtle Beach. When I was working in the Cotton Mills, the plants all closed for a week at July 4th and a week at Christmas, everyone went to Myrtle Beach.

For over 30 years, we had a family vacation spot inside Ocean Lakes Campground. We went there at least two weeks every year.
I have a rental lined up there for Spring Break with my granddaughter in April.

I do like the Southern end and Murrells Inlet a lot better. The Northern end and Barefoot landing, Broadway at the beach, is great for those who like the shopping and Restaurants. I stay out of Myrtle Beach proper. Its a **** hole now. Years of Liberal Local Government ran out the money. Myrtle Beach itself is touristy and like Daytona Beach lite. But looks like years of neglect. There was at one time, quite a few areas to enjoy "downtown". "The Bowery" is where the Country Band Alabama got it's start. I actually saw them there in 1976. Cool little bar, but, Not worth a trip downtown to see it. In fact, I'm not sure it's still open.

Myrtle, To me, Is more Family oriented with a little risque stuff there for the adults on the outskirts. Plenty of Adult Entertainment to be found, Much like Daytona.
If you are a golfer, there are a bunch of courses still in and around the area. My favorite closed a couple years back but, ( The Witch ) there are still some fairly nice courses around the area that can be played for a bargain. Especially the twilight rates. There are a couple of courses that I found closed, very recently. I was just there over Christmas.

I'm not much for seafood but, the best places for seafood are on Murrels Inlet. Fresh catches, as the boats pull up to the docks every evening with their catches. I personally like the river walk area at Murrels Inlet where you can walk up and down the waterway and choose a spot for a drink or a good meal.
I like "Dead Dog Saloon" .
I like their service, food and the theme is sort of crazy but, There are pictures everywhere of beloved pets that are now just a memory. Hence the name of the place. ( mainly just in the lobby entry and bar areas)
I also like the two biker bars , Beaver Bar and Suck, Bang Blow. ( Suck, Bang, Blow being the basic operation of an internal combustion engine) Normally go to both during bike events.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I took my wife and the boys to MB last summer to visit my middle daughter. She lives in Bluffton, SC which is just about 30 minutes west of MB. The place appears clean but there really isn't a lot to do unless you want to play golfball or go to the beach. In the summer when we went to the beach, there were probably >300,000 people with tents about 5-6 rows deep heading towards the water within a 1-1/2 mile stretch. Too crowded. Didn't find any places to eat that stood out either. I would definitely go back but just to see my daughter. The area isn't worth the trip IMO...

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Yeah I have that where I live, not really looking for more of the same. Also, I'll be up that way near the Carolinas, so was looking for something around there. Could go as far north as Virginia, though.
Emerald Isle and Litchfield Beach don’t have much going on in the towns. It’s all about the beach. Don’t get me wrong, spending a day on the beach with dark water is better than spending a day in Ohio.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Myrtle Beach's heyday was its beach music scene in the 60's with groups like The Swingin' Medallions and Bill Deal and the Rhondels. I had no idea those guys were white listening to them on the radio.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
We camped at Edisto Beach years ago and loved it.
Always wondered about Edisto Beach.
I drive right past there on the way to Myrtle Beach.
Is that a State Park or are there Public Campgrounds around?
Are there any Restaurants , or any sort of fun things to do there?
Often wondered about that one....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.