Napier’s first full offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I have no idea. He even said “the 2 everyone thinks”. I still have no idea.
Surely it can’t be Corey Raymond….

Are we talking on field coaches? I definitely see it being Bateman and another one. Peagler maybe? The tight ends have been atrocious, but I also know there isn’t a ton of talent in that room. Plus, I thought Peagler was a good recruiter.

Either way, hope he gets the next hires right

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The crime will be if its Raymond and not Toney. The worst DC in all of college football.
I still think Grantham is worse. Toney hasn’t had much to work with up front or at LB. Grantham had some talented units but his scheme was a joke…especially on 3rd downs.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Well talking about transitions. I thought SCam would make a great TE when I saw him throw balls into the turf as a frosh. I was wrong. Ingram was never recruited anywhere to be a QB so I don;t count him. Reed moved to TE in college but he was never a threat as a QB. I went to see Burton when he was in HS and posted on the G'ville Slime that there is no way he would ever be a QB with that motion and arm strength. But a hell of an athlete. Teblow would have been a productive 5 tool NFL player but he made a personal choice.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Think it’s definitely Bateman. Who the other is, that I don’t know. Would guess it’s either TE coach or Toney, but doubt it’s Toney.

Hmmmm

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
If Corey Raymond is pushed out or fired, then you will know Karl is a fraud. The CB's have not been great but they had some moments of decent play. The safeties have been awful. I would have moved some of the backup CB's and trained them as safetys. You must be able to cover at all spots on the back end now. Hard hitters are not relevant. I would only recruit guys that can cover. You can put them anywhere back there. But just to mention familiar names from the past, guys like Keanu Neal, Tony Joiner, Major Wright are not very useful in today's college game b/c they can't cover. BTW I would call Jim Leonhard pronto. Was a great safety in college, played safety in the NFL and was a punt returner. Offer him to coach safetys and special teams.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
If Corey Raymond is pushed out or fired, then you will know Karl is a fraud. The CB's have not been great but they had some moments of decent play. The safeties have been awful. I would have moved some of the backup CB's and trained them as safetys. You must be able to cover at all spots on the back end now. Hard hitters are not relevant. I would only recruit guys that can cover. You can put them anywhere back there. But just to mention familiar names from the past, guys like Keanu Neal, Tony Joiner, Major Wright are not very useful in today's college game b/c they can't cover. BTW I would call Jim Leonhard pronto. Was a great safety in college, played safety in the NFL and was a punt returner. Offer him to coach safetys and special teams.
Don't see Raymond being pushed out but certainly think he could opt out. Until the last several games the CB's have been playing 8 to 10 off scrimmage and were giving up easy short passes. I felt that was more Toney than Raymond, if correct I can see him leaving for other opportunities before his stellar reputation is soiled.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Think it’s definitely Bateman. Who the other is, that I don’t know. Would guess it’s either TE coach or Toney, but doubt it’s Toney.

Hmmmm

If it’s the TE coach that’ll be frustrating. Good news, but also an unnecessary, totally self inflicted problem to have in the first place given that we opted to not keep Brewster, who was also our best recruiter.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why is everybody thinking Raymond? He’s the assistant head coach right?

If anybody it has to be Stapleton.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
As some have said if this is in fact the case, I am glad to see something being done. Do not think that it would be Raymond at all. And absolutely have no issue with him pushing some of the players with Mullentham Culture out the door. I think back at the last 12 years. We've had a screaming white board puncher, a PBJ nut case, and a lazy azz egotistical entitling non recruiting MOFO. I have no doubt that this locker has an infestation that needs to be exterminated. Billy may have more issues than he or any of us ever realized at all. With going into a season, he might have needed to try and keep some that he may have not wanted. I made the comment last week that I couldn't believe the amount of players UF traveled to Vandy when we saw them enter the field. We are really thin on personnel period. But better to thin it all out now and keep building and recruiting.

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017
Good. If Napier is the kind of coach who makes significant changes to staff and roster after a bad season, learn from mistakes, and do whatever necessary to keep the program moving forward, then we won't be suffering through more 6-6 seasons under him.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Need a meme of Tony on a couch being shoved in a moving van

The friction with staff is interesting. Prima Donna, conflicting advice between coach and private coach, coach a moron, as the football turns……

Last edited:

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bateman and Toney should be sent packing. Hire a DC with SEC experience who can coach the linebackers and give Raymond control of the secondary. With the extra coaching position bring in a dedicated special teams coach who can also assist on the defensive side of the ball to help out where needed (i.e.Raymond's underling). This isn't rocket science.

As to cleaning out the roster, it was expected and doesn't surprise me at all. Hopefully we can bring some good talent in through the portal for immediate help. Need to finish this year's recruiting class strong as well. I think it was obvious since the Kentucky game that AR was moving on to the NFL after this season. The guy we saw play against Utah rarely showed up the rest of the season, and I think his handlers outside of the program had a lot to do with that. If Kitna gets the nod for the bowl game, I wouldn't be surprised to see our offense look the best it has all season. At the very least he won't do worse than what we've seen out of that position this year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'll believe it when I see it as far as roster turnover goes. He said we were gonna be "very active " in the transfer portal last year aswell. We brought in maybe 5 that I can think of? Our recruiting board isn't gonna get much bigger either. Probably only a few more out there that we'd take. I expect to add maybe 5 more signees at most and maybe 5-6 transfers.

Coaching changes would be Bateman and Stapleton if there's 2. That'd be my guess. With only 1 LB commit and we don't seem to be desperately expanding our board in that position, tells me Bateman may be off the trail and not returning.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only 2?

Heck, we should start by getting rid of one of the oline coaches and fill the void with an actual OC.
Yeah, I say to fire Bateman and put Mike Peterson over inside and outside linebackers.

Technically, Sale is the OC.

They shouldn’t bring in another OC unless it’s going to be a young innovative coordinator.

Fill Bateman’s position with a recruiting monster. And make him in charge of special teams. I think we need a special-teams coordinator more than an OC.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Seen Dominic Lovett entered the portal today. He finished 3rd in the SEC in yards. Could he be a possibly at Wr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator