Napier’s first full offseason thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
While waiting for recruiting news to heat up & passing the summer doldrums…How is the roster looking? These are my decidedly inexpert impressions. Yours?

QB: The biggest question, the hope is consistency in reads, timing and touch will more than offset the loss of a generationally talented but unpolished AR.

RB: Much improved via the portal and 2023 class.

WR: Improved by the 2023 class, but how impactful can the freshmen be? The emergence and development of Douglas etc. is the big question.

TE: BN’s offense hasn’t ever targeted the TE a ton but relies on them heavily for blocking. I hope/expect he’d use receiving talent if say Boardingham shines. Hard to say what losing Zipperer will cost or how Boardingham, Odom etc. will perform as receivers or blockers. And they’ve been injured a lot the last 2 springs. No idea.

OL: Lost a ton, gained a ton - literally. If the new group gels, they could be better. I’m counting on the coaches to have them ready to be as good or better.

DL: The additions by portal and 2023 class plus McClellan’s development make this a much deeper and better group. Much better.

LB: The additions by portal and 2023 class plus James’ development make this a much deeper and better group. Much better.

CB: Nice mix of veteran talent and new blood. A bit better as they continue to grow. They should benefit from the front 7’s improvement.

S: Young, but much more talented and faster. It can’t be any worse. It’s kind of like my golf game. I’ve strived to become inconsistent rather than consistently terrible. Plus everyone around them will be better, which will reduce their exposure.

P/K: Same guys, a bit older and hopefully a bit better. Crawshaw has a great leg. Mihalek is pretty good, Smack looked sketchy in the O&B game. Slightly better.
As someone said, good list. The QB spot is the biggest worry. Not because of replacing AR, He didn't produce the victories. I just don't know that Mertz is going get us many victories either. 2024 can't get here soon enough.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
That never gets old. May it portend greatness.
This greatness

spurrier-done-1.gif

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
As someone said, good list. The QB spot is the biggest worry. Not because of replacing AR, He didn't produce the victories. I just don't know that Mertz is going get us many victories either. 2024 can't get here soon enough.
It would go a long way if Mertz gets protection and passes about as well as AR, without great mistakes. Mertz will see much more aggressive defenses and I hope staff expects that and has the right kind of offense ready to call.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
It would go a long way if Mertz gets protection and passes about as well as AR, without great mistakes. Mertz will see much more aggressive defenses and I hope staff expects that and has the right kind of offense ready to call.
Well, that is the key, right. An offense that can back off an aggressive defense. So far, that has not been the MO of CBN:s offense, but it has to be or we are done like dinner against any team that actually prepared for the O they are facing.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Not clicking this for obvious reasons, but thought I’d share. I will not sit back to observe the reasonable reactions :lol:

Incredibly happy is code for drawing up contract extension as they spoke.

Joking aside, saw an article ranking our units. Writer suggested passing to our RBs. What a novel idea, forcing a defense to take on 220lb receivers with a head of steam. I hope our OC has the same idea. Even if it just looks like a RB is on a swing pass route, someone gets open once a defense starts biting on that threat. I would be stressed if the Gators had two RBs, play action in play action and a swing route.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't have a problem with the black uniform as a 1 time thing. It sure beats the hell out of those ugly green skin uniforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.