Recruiting Napier on portal vs HS recruiting

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This was shared by somebody on 247 who asked him about it on the gator club circuit.

LaneStain
Posted on 20 hrs, , User Since 17 months ago, User Post Count: 993

I have already answered this question based on his answer from when he spoke to us at the QB club a month or so ago, but I'll post some info again since I know not everyone sees every post on every thread:

-He wants to take at least 25 HS players per class, and fill his roster primarily from HS recruiting, with players he has developed good relationships with. (his words)

-He wants to use the transfer portal as sparingly as possible, only to fill in unforeseen gaps due to players leaving early. (his words)

-Since he wants players that he has developed a relationship with and won't compromise their evaluation process for the sake of just padding star numbers for class ranking, this is why we came up short of 25 players for his first 2 cycles. (his words)

-In his words, he hadn't had enough time to develop relationships with enough players to be confident in filling out the remaining spots.

-The same reason he doesn't want to risk taking HS kids without "developing a good relationship" first, is the same reason why they are so slow and insufficient in the portal. The nature of the portal is directly at odds with their evaluation process. (his words)

-When he says he "isn't going to adjust his portal procedure" it sounds alarming because of the fact that they aren't very efficient at it, however I think it's more because he doesn't plan on spending that much time on the portal in the future because he plans on "hitting HS recruiting out of the park" in his words. So therefore, he doesn't seem like it's worth it to spend a lot of time and energy refining a process they don't plan on needing to use very much (***the last part is my editorial opinion***)

-He seemed extremely confident in the '24 class, and the relationships they have been able to develop

This seems to be his plan and he is sticking to it. We will just have to wait and see how it works out.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
sounds like another "2 more weeks" kind of situation... wonder if he's been recruiting in Kansas

we'll win another championship one day or an asteroid will hit eventually, either way the drought will end

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think if there’s one area where you truly have to just trust his vision, and where he’s earned it, it’s with roster and talent evaluation. Outside of quarterback, which is still technically undecided, I think he’s done a terrific job. So I’m fine with this, and actually share his belief that HS recruiting is still the key to championships. Now, the next time he calls a time out and gives the opponent time to settle in for a field goal, or squanders a minute plus just to launch a Hail Mary from the opponent’s 45, I reserve the right to flip out and throw things. But roster wise, I’m all in with the plan.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
While we've all seen guys enter the portal that we hoped would come to UF, it's hard to argue with his approach. What will change over time, assuming he's still around, is guys he recruited to UF and developed a relationship with, but picked another school, entering the portal. Those are guys he probably would feel comfortable with taking quickly. While success in the portal is important, @soflagator is right when he notes HS recruiting is still the key to winning championships. When one looks at who has been dominating CFB over the last ten years, one of their common traits is elite recruiting. The jury is still out on whether CBN can be a successful game day coach at this level, but it's hard to argue with how he has handled the rest of his job.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I noticed there was absolutely no mention of NIL in his strategy. Touchy Feely type stuff like "relationships" will suck hind tit when the money ain't there.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I noticed there was absolutely no mention of NIL in his strategy. Touchy Feely type stuff like "relationships" will suck hind tit when the money ain't there.
You'd really have to go back and look at his whole talk to see if he touched on NIL. The author of the article was answering a question on the class size for this year. In the string they touch on NIL a little bit and the author mentions, when asked about NIL, all you get is a vague and diplomatic answer. I'd be willing to bet NIL is a big part of his strategy, but not one that CBN, or any HC really talks about publicly.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

He’s talked about it many times before, so it’s not something we’re ignoring. But even with that, the correlation between NIL deals and championships is not there at the moment. I realize it’s only been a few years, but uga’s NC rosters the last 2 years were built on HS recruiting done largely before NIL even existed. Ohio State and Alabama as well. Teams like Texas, A&M, miami and Usc have not parlayed that into tiles as of yet(again admittedly early). So we don’t know if that’s the formula or not. I know Denson from this year’s class specifically said that NIL had no bearing on him whatsoever and he wasn’t alone. It’s a reality we have to face, but I’m ok not going around like Ruiz and Co looking like schmucks paying millions for a 5 win season. That’s embarrassing, and will absolutely have a shelf life.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
He’s talked about it many times before, so it’s not something we’re ignoring. But even with that, the correlation between NIL deals and championships is not there at the moment. I realize it’s only been a few years, but uga’s NC rosters the last 2 years were built on HS recruiting done largely before NIL even existed. Ohio State and Alabama as well. Teams like Texas, A&M, miami and Usc have not parlayed that into tiles as of yet(again admittedly early). So we don’t know if that’s the formula or not. I know Denson from this year’s class specifically said that NIL had no bearing on him whatsoever and he wasn’t alone. It’s a reality we have to face, but I’m ok not going around like Ruiz and Co looking like schmucks paying millions for a 5 win season. That’s embarrassing, and will absolutely have a shelf life.
You bring up a great point about aTm. Several of the high profile recruits from Dumbo's highly touted, and highly paid, '22 class have already transferred. Last year was pretty ugly in College Station and if they are only slightly better this year (I'm seeing projections of 3rd or 4th in the West), how much patience will there be among the big money guys to keep bank rolling an average team?

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Very good points, sofla.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You bring up a great point about aTm. Several of the high profile recruits from Dumbo's highly touted, and highly paid, '22 class have already transferred. Last year was pretty ugly in College Station and if they are only slightly better this year (I'm seeing projections of 3rd or 4th in the West), how much patience will there be among the big money guys to keep bank rolling an average team?
using some Bull Gators as a yardstick, minimal would be a decade..

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Look at UGA vs Bama. Saban has kept a clean program for a long time in terms of off field issues. Kirby is starting to show some issues with what’s happened recently. It’s a very slippery slope when it comes to losing a team and locker room. Napiers approach has sacrificed short term gains for long term stability (hopefully).

I’m happy with progress. I can wait until ‘25 for huge jumps in wins. Even ‘26, if the program gets fixed and built for the long haul

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I'm extremely upset with the lack of bytching in this thread. I'm heading back to the PF.
Napier should already have been fired. We would've already won a natty if we'd have hired Lane Kiffin.

Saturday Night Live Hate GIF

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually....... I'm not good with his attitude. He seems to be sticking his head in the sand and not realizing that the World is changing all around him. The "old ways" will not work in the "new" world of me first players. It might work with 3 stars or walk-on's but 4 and 5 star players will go where the money is highest and recent NC Trophies are in the Trophy Case. If Saban and Shart are still the Standard, look how they are both skimming the cream off the portal. They aren't taking any 3's are low 4's.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually....... I'm not good with his attitude. He seems to be sticking his head in the sand and not realizing that the World is changing all around him. The "old ways" will not work in the "new" world of me first players. It might work with 3 stars or walk-on's but 4 and 5 star players will go where the money is highest and recent NC Trophies are in the Trophy Case. If Saban and Shart are still the Standard, look how they are both skimming the cream off the portal. They aren't taking any 3's are low 4's.
What are you talking about? We literally only have one 3* player in this class. Georgia has at least 3. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with 3* players. As long as they are not the backbone of the class.

Look at Miami. They have like 10 recruits. And only one of them is a 4*. The other ones are all 3* players.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What are you talking about? We literally only have one 3* player in this class. Georgia has at least 3. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with 3* players. As long as they are not the backbone of the class.

Look at Miami. They have like 10 recruits. And only one of them is a 4*. The other ones are all 3* players.

Our entire class is 3*s and walk-ons. Stop watching CNN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.