Recruiting Napier on portal vs HS recruiting

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I think if there’s one area where you truly have to just trust his vision, and where he’s earned it, it’s with roster and talent evaluation. Outside of quarterback, which is still technically undecided, I think he’s done a terrific job. So I’m fine with this, and actually share his belief that HS recruiting is still the key to championships. Now, the next time he calls a time out and gives the opponent time to settle in for a field goal, or squanders a minute plus just to launch a Hail Mary from the opponent’s 45, I reserve the right to flip out and throw things. But roster wise, I’m all in with the plan.
Can anyone speculate if those situations were the result of HC/OC/DC not acting in their roles or are there sideline and booth staff that should be advising staff, but perhaps weren't?

I like to think staff did not have enough offense installed to conduct the offense with limited time on the clock and that we will see more coordination and aggression this season.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Look at UGA vs Bama. Saban has kept a clean program for a long time in terms of off field issues. Kirby is starting to show some issues with what’s happened recently. It’s a very slippery slope when it comes to losing a team and locker room. Napiers approach has sacrificed short term gains for long term stability (hopefully).

I’m happy with progress. I can wait until ‘25 for huge jumps in wins. Even ‘26, if the program gets fixed and built for the long haul
This is a joke, right?

Saban has nothing to do with it. No Alabama cop is allowed to arrest a bama football player. It's like that scene in Varsity Blues when the coach asks the cop if his players are too much trouble. "no, no coach".

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This is a joke, right?

Saban has nothing to do with it. No Alabama cop is allowed to arrest a bama football player. It's like that scene in Varsity Blues when the coach asks the cop if his players are too much trouble. "no, no coach".
Yet Shula had a kid get busted for selling drugs.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Also, look where the me first kids from TA&M class wound up? Most have already transferred.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
This is a joke, right?

So, what you’re saying is Saban cleaned up the program. Who else laid down the law with law enforcement?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m fine with the strategy of building relationships and focusing mostly on recruiting but I think he’s making a mistake in his approach to the portal. Like it or not, it’s the way of the world and you have to adapt accordingly. If he thinks he’s got 5 years to turn this around, he’ll be an analyst somewhere in 3 years.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What are you talking about? We literally only have one 3* player in this class. Georgia has at least 3. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with 3* players. As long as they are not the backbone of the class.

Look at Miami. They have like 10 recruits. And only one of them is a 4*. The other ones are all 3* players.
Actually I'm talking about Nap saying he's not going to be active in the portal because he doesn't have established relationships with players in the portal. I think that covers it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Also, look where the me first kids from TA&M class wound up? Most have already transferred.

Yeah I see it that way as well. This idea that buying a team will ensure a title is anything but proven at this point. The biggest suitors have been garbage for the most part so far.

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
I’m fine with the strategy of building relationships and focusing mostly on recruiting but I think he’s making a mistake in his approach to the portal. Like it or not, it’s the way of the world and you have to adapt accordingly. If he thinks he’s got 5 years to turn this around, he’ll be an analyst somewhere in 3 years.

Agreed.
Our best WR last year (and likely this year too) was a guy we got from the portal. This year's portal additions will undoubtedly have at least 1-2 starters in there too at positions of need.

When teams like AL and OSU go out and get starters via the portal, you know it's here to stay.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
To me, probably most of the best portal players are instant gratification guys. They just don't see us there yet or about to be there. It really is a Catch-22.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The problem with this repeated argument is it just isn't true. They had 30 HS recruits. 8 5stars and 19 4stars, 20 total players in the top 114, and 25 in the top 302.

They had 7 total transfers, which break down as follows:

5 Stars - the two lowest ranked 5 Star recruits left. The still have 6 remaining 5 Stars, all ranked in the top 22 of their class (more than 25% of players ranked that high nationally). This is still an insane haul.

4 Stars - The 4 stars who left include some of their top 4 stars with national ranks of (59, 68, 69, 114 and 284). That still leaves them with 14 4Stars, in addition to the 6 5stars. 18 recruits in the top 302 are still on the team, with 14 from the top 100.

Even without the bottom 5 of their class, that aTm retained group, after the transfers, would be the best Florida recruiting class ever (by ranking, not results). Meyer's best haul was 5 5stars in 2010. That class is the closest with 13 in the top 10 and 3 more close to the top 100. But, we also lost some from that class very quickly (Josh Shaw, one of the 5stars, Dunkley the highest ranked 4star, Chris Martin, Lynden Trail), and some later, such as Gerald Watkins, Jonathan Dowling, and Jordan Haden. The 2006 class had 19 that would have been in the top 302, but it "only" had 9 in the top 100, and 10 in the top 107.

Attrition always happens, but aTm has not been gutted by any means. They just had the numbers to absorb it, compared to Mullen's 2019 #9 ranked class that lost 5 guys (out of 24) before the fall.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The problem with this repeated argument is it just isn't true. They had 30 HS recruits. 8 5stars and 19 4stars, 20 total players in the top 114, and 25 in the top 302.

They had 7 total transfers, which break down as follows:

5 Stars - the two lowest ranked 5 Star recruits left. The still have 6 remaining 5 Stars, all ranked in the top 22 of their class (more than 25% of players ranked that high nationally). This is still an insane haul.

4 Stars - The 4 stars who left include some of their top 4 stars with national ranks of (59, 68, 69, 114 and 284). That still leaves them with 14 4Stars, in addition to the 6 5stars. 18 recruits in the top 302 are still on the team, with 14 from the top 100.

Even without the bottom 5 of their class, that aTm retained group, after the transfers, would be the best Florida recruiting class ever (by ranking, not results). Meyer's best haul was 5 5stars in 2010. That class is the closest with 13 in the top 10 and 3 more close to the top 100. But, we also lost some from that class very quickly (Josh Shaw, one of the 5stars, Dunkley the highest ranked 4star, Chris Martin, Lynden Trail), and some later, such as Gerald Watkins, Jonathan Dowling, and Jordan Haden. The 2006 class had 19 that would have been in the top 302, but it "only" had 9 in the top 100, and 10 in the top 107.

Attrition always happens, but aTm has not been gutted by any means. They just had the numbers to absorb it, compared to Mullen's 2019 #9 ranked class that lost 5 guys (out of 24) before the fall.

I don’t think that was the point he was making. No one is saying their entire class will get decimated, or that Jimbo isn’t a naturally good recruiter. It’s just not as simple as the paying the most equals the most wins. Won’t speak for @alcoholica, but that was at least my point. If anything, the start has been disastrous from a continuity, performance standpoint. It may change, but I think it’s more likely that NIL is what changes(gets reigned in) not straight buying a title.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think that was the point he was making. No one is saying their entire class will get decimated, or that Jimbo isn’t a naturally good recruiter. It’s just not as simple as the paying the most equals the most wins. Won’t speak for @alcoholica, but that was at least my point. If anything, the start has been disastrous from a continuity, performance standpoint. It may change, but I think it’s more likely that NIL is what changes(gets reigned in) not straight buying a title.
So roughly 25% of your class is gone. However, about 25 give or take kids entered the portal. So how many of the ‘22 class will leave after this season? Not unreasonable to have half your class or more be gone.

But let’s not gloss over the real problem. He had an altercation with players in the locker room after a game. At least two were high profile kids from ‘22. Yeah, paying kids without vetting is sure going to payoff.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So, what you’re saying is Saban cleaned up the program. Who else laid down the law with law enforcement?

He got him off from trafficking drugs!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

He got him off from trafficking drugs!
Well….he was a five star…..so you see….

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
They just had the numbers to absorb it, compared to Mullen's 2019 #9 ranked class that lost 5 guys (out of 24) before the fall.
100%. At least on this board we can be honest. Right then, I would have audited staff's recruiting efforts. It was painfully clear the staff was reaching for players that would never qualify and well known they were neglecting Jax, of all places. Schmoozy was too busy preparing mullen an extension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator