Napier presser 2-7-24

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know Tater is a life champion and all, but as a former Trailerbammer WR coach whom Saban would never promote, who went to Sunbelt then somehow got promoted to HC (because apparently Saban had a clause in his contract allowing him to pick the head coaches for his rival teams), I think it's clear that Derek Dooley is the correct comparison.

Dooleys record:

2010: 6-7

2011: 5-7

2012: 4-7* (fired before final game)

Oh yeah, Dooley is the real comparison.

Last edited:

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know Tater is a life champion and all, but as a former Trailerbammer WR coach whom Saban would never promote, who went to Sunbelt then somehow got promoted to HC (because apparently Saban had a clause in his contract allowing him to pick the head coaches for his rival teams), I think it's clear that Derek Dooley is the correct comparison.

Dooleys record:

Ouch... that's a pretty scary comparison...

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Tater is as tater does, ma'am.

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Sounds to me like it will be Armstrongs defense (names, formations and whatever) with Ron in charge of the defense. Seems kinda weird...almost as if Napier made a Defensive Head Coach and Napier will be the Offensive Head Coach. Its just names to describe actual relationships and processes going on but its weird. That seems like one of the problems with Napier to me, though Im not there and have no clue, but its like he over analyzes things in his head then creates processes to try and fix things which turns out to over complicate things. Vogonic (<--Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy Reference)

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy GIF

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Not trying to be negative but I'm not impressed or excited by anything I'm seeing regarding our beloved Gator FB Team.
I'm excited about the potential of Lagway; easily our best QB recruit since Tebow. Given our recent run of bad luck and bad decisions, there's a good chance he never works out here, but he's a small ray of hope.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds to me like it will be Armstrongs defense (names, formations and whatever) with Ron in charge of the defense. Seems kinda weird...almost as if Napier made a Defensive Head Coach and Napier will be the Offensive Head Coach. Its just names to describe actual relationships and processes going on but its weird. That seems like one of the problems with Napier to me, though Im not there and have no clue, but its like he over analyzes things in his head then creates processes to try and fix things which turns out to over complicate things. Vogonic (<--Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy Reference)

Yes. I have always thought it would be Ron in charge of the D. Too many titles and names going with position coaches. But in all to me it was the D needed a fix, AA needs help, and Ron, his mentor was available. Help AA and could see Ron retiring in a few years. But to me it's going to be Ron in charge. CBN was not going to demote him right, wrong, or indifferent.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Dooleys record:

confused013.gif
reface-2024-02-08-12-11-09.jpg

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I posted after the Utah game that what you just described, would likely lead to his downfall. I used Zook as a reference point in that of all the failed coaches we’ve had, he’s generally hated the least, and is still revered by some. It helps that he was a decent guy. But mainly it was that he was so in over his head that he recognized it and was humble enough to not do outlandish things. His moves, from retaining Dixon, going all in on keeping Grossman for another year, along with some of his hires, all showed he didn’t think he knew more or had some outlier approach to things. He just went conventional and tried his best, even if it didn’t work. That made it much easier to see the best and just realize he wasn’t the guy. The 0 for 4 streak we’re currently on has all been the total opposite. And when fans say from day 1, “that doesn’t seem to make sense, but ok I guess”, it opens the door for them to rip apart these coaches who insisted otherwise when it fails. That’s the ship Napier seems to be wanting to go down with. It’s maddening.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
He did that also.

But it wasn't why he got benched the year he transferred.
I don’t doubt you. I remembered being excited about landing him but had forgotten the circumstances around his transfer. Given his failure to last very long at IU, he’s one of those 5* that didn’t adapt to college ball.

We were pretty awesome at S then anyway.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I posted after the Utah game that what you just described, would likely lead to his downfall. I used Zook as a reference point in that of all the failed coaches we’ve had, he’s generally hated the least, and is still revered by some. It helps that he was a decent guy. But mainly it was that he was so in over his head that he recognized it and was humble enough to not do outlandish things. His moves, from retaining Dixon, going all in on keeping Grossman for another year, along with some of his hires, all showed he didn’t think he knew more or had some outlier approach to things. He just went conventional and tried his best, even if it didn’t work. That made it much easier to see the best and just realize he wasn’t the guy. The 0 for 4 streak we’re currently on has all been the total opposite. And when fans say from day 1, “that doesn’t seem to make sense, but ok I guess”, it opens the door for them to rip apart these coaches who insisted otherwise when it fails. That’s the ship Napier seems to be wanting to go down with. It’s maddening.

The difference is that Zook was the last minute hire on an extremely tight timeline. Napier was a hand picked selection that anyone who has really paid attention to the University of Florida program over the last 20/30 years could see was a complete misfit. Starting with his initial interview. Zook got the benefit of the doubt with some, because he was a good dude, and out AD had striked out multiple times before he was selected. Napier was the first choice with more accomplished coaching on the board who wasn't even contacted because the AD had his dude in mind for a while.

Napier is a good dude, but other than the expansion of the analyst departments what has been his mark on the program?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The difference is that Zook was the last minute hire on an extremely tight timeline. Napier was a hand picked selection that anyone who has really paid attention to the University of Florida program over the last 20/30 years could see was a complete misfit. Starting with his initial interview. Zook got the benefit of the doubt with some, because he was a good dude, and out AD had striked out multiple times before he was selected. Napier was the first choice with more accomplished coaching on the board who wasn't even contacted because the AD had his dude in mind for a while.

Napier is a good dude, but other than the expansion of the analyst departments what has been his mark on the program?
Confused Funny Face GIF

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I'm excited about the potential of Lagway; easily our best QB recruit since Tebow. Given our recent run of bad luck and bad decisions, there's a good chance he never works out here, but he's a small ray of hope.
My reservation about Lagway, or any Napier QB, is if the system makes sense. Killed it in HS, but this system? We will see.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Well there have been several. But back to back losing seasons and useless fat people in gym shorts being employed is probably what I’d start with.

And while I agree with your assessment of the two, I think what you described is more a defense of 2002-Foley vs 2021-Stricklin, not as much the coaches themselves. Foley, in his defense, was handed a tough task in January to replace not just a legend, but the legend. Scott had months and spent it shopping at Banana Republic and watching off Broadway performances of Guys and Dolls. But that’s not my point. My point is Zook failed while doing logical things that fans couldn’t be too upset with. Napier, like the previous 3, is charting an inexplicable, and indefensible course, ignoring completely the will of the fans. That’s why if we don’t see some miraculous 180 this season, the hatred and vitriol headed his way will rival his predecessors, good dude or not. As several have pointed out, willingly imploding a program to prove your point, while being paid 7 mil a year, is borderline theft. In the financial world it would be negligence/fraud and there’d be disgorgement.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Well there have been several. But back to back losing seasons and useless fat people in gym shorts being employed is probably what I’d start with.

And while I agree with your assessment of the two, I think what you described is more a defense of 2002-Foley vs 2021-Stricklin, not as much the coaches themselves. Foley, in his defense, was handed a tough task in January to replace not just a legend, but the legend. Scott had months and spent it shopping at Banana Republic and watching off Broadway performances of Guys and Dolls. But that’s not my point. My point is Zook failed while doing logical things that fans couldn’t be too upset with. Napier, like the previous 3, is charting an inexplicable, and indefensible course, ignoring completely the will of the fans. That’s why if we don’t see some miraculous 180 this season, the hatred and vitriol headed his way will rival his predecessors, good dude or not. As several have pointed out, willingly imploding a program to prove your point, while being paid 7 mil a year, is borderline theft. In the financial world it would be negligence/fraud and there’d be disgorgement.

I agree, that Zook was smart enough not to break a working system.... Napier is too egotistical to see he needs to change his approach. And this offseason when given evidence he needed to, he doubled down. Just saying one also gets more rope, because of the situation. And Stricklin's selection process of Napier is also part of the reason why Napier has got less rope than Zook. The fans can see it's not a fit, and we are being sold we are too stupid to see how he is a good fit.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
If you need to hire your DC’s mentor to come back and mentor him, you made a crappy hire. Having a walking dead like presser stumbling through an answer makes it worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator