Napier's 2022 Offense

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Good God you fixate on stupid some times. Mullen has never beaten anyone with more talent. His scheme sucked balls. I'm saying someone like spurrier could beat bama with a cocks roster occasionally bc his scheme was soo good but that's the only chance you have if you aren't more talented. Some of those fsu teams were more talented than us but we still beat them bc of him and his offense. You denying that? Why the f are you throwing dildo Dan into this discussion? That dude's scheme sucked like a black hole. Lay off the sauce.
Because you are acting as if there is a scheme out there that one takes lower ranked talent and beats teams with more talent. And you act as if Spurrier didnt recruit. Oh yay...USC beat bama one time so that proves your point? GTFO with that BS. And those fsu teams were more talented than who on SOS offense again? Sorry for originally fixating on your stupid comment about curl routes not curl routes.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I hope noone takes this as me being nasty, but kiffen had the #22 passing O last year in the toughest division in football. ULL had the #78 passing O in a division where they had equal or more talent than everyone. UF was 46th for comparison. Ole miss also had the #12 rushing O since they just had a really good O in general. ULL was 40th. UF was 23rd. There are tons of variables other than total O. Ole Miss was 14th in FEI...UF was 58th...ULL was 43rd. A big reason for their improvement there was that they were 2nd in turnover rate (in a good way). Youd expect that with a Sr QB and good RB, but it's also likely due to a pretty simple scheme making low-risk throws. The worst stat (OFD) was being 80th in # of drives that went 3 & out. For comp, ole miss wasn't worse than 30th in any category. ULL was 24th in touchdown rate, which is an important stat IMO. Maybe slightly skewed by the fact that CBN went for it on 4th down a chunk, but still a good #.
I was only making the comparison that Napier runs an offense that is similar to Kiffin. Not that they were as successful. Kiffin runs it a lot more than people think but he takes shots down field. And I dont know why I feel compelled to now spell his name correctly. Fuchs Kiffen.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Because you are acting as if there is a scheme out there that one takes lower ranked talent and beats teams with more talent. And you act as if Spurrier didnt recruit. Oh yay...USC beat bama one time so that proves your point? GTFO with that BS. And those fsu teams were more talented than who on SOS offense again? Sorry for originally fixating on your stupid comment about curl routes not curl routes.
You're the only one that keeps mentioning spurriers recruiting. All I said was he was enough of a master that he could overcome some talent disparity. Not once did I say how much talent disparity, just some. And his record proved it. So you can get the f out with your BS. He beat a team that had penciled its self into the title game until that fateful last Saturday night, and did it with rotating qbs who both sucked.

Actually freaking read posts for Christ sake. There's one I made yesterday where I literally said crootin is everything, it's the only thing that gets you to a title game. Once youre there and the talent is even, then coaching and scheme may be the difference but over the course of a season the talent and depth always rises to the top and it is the only thing that gets you into the big game. You argue just to argue.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
You're the only one that keeps mentioning spurriers recruiting. All I said was he was enough of a master that he could overcome some talent disparity. Not once did I say how much talent disparity, just some. And his record proved it. So you can get the f out with your BS. He beat a team that had penciled its self into the title game until that fateful last Saturday night, and did it with rotating qbs who both sucked.

Actually freaking read posts for Christ sake. There's one I made yesterday where I literally said crootin is everything, it's the only thing that gets you to a title game. Once youre there and the talent is even, then coaching and scheme may be the difference but over the course of a season the talent and depth always rises to the top and it is the only thing that gets you into the big game. You argue just to argue.
Lol. Sigh. You brought Spurrier into it to point out that his system won over more talented as if that was a norm. I corrected you on that and pointed out that Spurrier, while being a awesome gameday coach (one of the best ever), he also recruited great classes. I was responding to you on a point you brought up so dont act like Im bringing it up.

And for the record, if you think that 96 fsu team was better than us then you are a moron.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
I was only making the comparison that Napier runs an offense that is similar to Kiffin. Not that they were as successful. Kiffin runs it a lot more than people think but he takes shots down field. And I dont know why I feel compelled to now spell his name correctly. Fuchs Kiffen.
Where do you see the similarities outside of some downhill running? Honestly, we should kinda hope that they're not the same, bc that would only confirm that we have a pretty bad OC.

NOLAGATOR

Deep Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I've been watching some film breakdowns. Sure Napier runs more than pass.

He shifts a lot and has all kinds of looks for the same plays.

He seems to like to flood areas and the offense is easy on the QB ...it's efficient.

I concede it's not sexy or wild but it's effective and hard on defenses

But most of all "scared money don't make money"...He does not sit with time on the clock...he's aggressive.

One thing I truly hated with Zook and Cousin Eddie...not aggressive.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
I've been watching some film breakdowns. Sure Napier runs more than pass.

He shifts a lot and has all kinds of looks for the same plays.

He seems to like to flood areas and the offense is easy on the QB ...it's efficient.

I concede it's not sexy or wild but it's effective and hard on defenses

But most of all "scared money don't make money"...He does not sit with time on the clock...he's aggressive.

One thing I truly hated with Zook and Cousin Eddie...not aggressive.
Im pretty sure he's also aggressive on 4th down and it's likely the single biggest thing he has going for him (unless his TD% isnt tied to that like i think).

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
And for the record, if you think that 96 fsu team was better than us then you are a moron.
The rotating QB's was '97 and that F$U team was better than ours. No matter how much talent was on our team, we were saddled with Doug Johnson; the great equalizer when it comes to lowering the talent of your own team.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Where do you see the similarities outside of some downhill running? Honestly, we should kinda hope that they're not the same, bc that would only confirm that we have a pretty bad OC.
Running to set up the over the top passing. Averaged 44 rushes and 33 passes per game last year and I dont think it was much different previous years. Thats a 57/43 rush/pass average which is exacty what everyone complains about for Napier. I think Kiffin does a lot more tempo stuff while Napier likes to get to the LOS and use motion more. They both gamble a lot. Kiffin does use some pistol but I think he does have the back next to the QB a lot more. A lot of people think Kiffin throws the ball over the place but he really doesn't. He has a very heavy does of run and takes shots downfield to keep the defense honest.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
Running to set up the over the top passing. Averaged 44 rushes and 33 passes per game last year and I dont think it was much different previous years. Thats a 57/43 rush/pass average which is exacty what everyone complains about for Napier. I think Kiffin does a lot more tempo stuff while Napier likes to get to the LOS and use motion more. They both gamble a lot. Kiffin does use some pistol but I think he does have the back next to the QB a lot more. A lot of people think Kiffin throws the ball over the place but he really doesn't. He has a very heavy does of run and takes shots downfield to keep the defense honest.
I agree on a run-to-pass philosphy. I think the difference is that the tempo means that kiffen still passes a lot and his passing concepts are 100x more advanced when he does. Personally, my complaint isn't that CBN runs a bunch; it's that they can't pass. I'm pretty sure he didn't at clemson or asu and he couldn't with a Sr QB at ULL. CBN gambles as far as going for it on 4th down, but his scheme doesn't seem to gamble. Unless the app st wasn't representative, his passing scheme is super vanilla with safe throws. It's what gives them a great TO rate and a bad passing O. I'd have to watch more ole miss to know about kiffen in that regard. I wasn't aware kiffen used any pistol or much 12 personnel so not sure how similar the sets are.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I agree on a run-to-pass philosphy. I think the difference is that the tempo means that kiffen still passes a lot and his passing concepts are 100x more advanced when he does. Personally, my complaint isn't that CBN runs a bunch; it's that they can't pass. I'm pretty sure he didn't at clemson or asu and he couldn't with a Sr QB at ULL. CBN gambles as far as going for it on 4th down, but his scheme doesn't seem to gamble. Unless the app st wasn't representative, his passing scheme is super vanilla with safe throws. It's what gives them a great TO rate and a bad passing O. I'd have to watch more ole miss to know about kiffen in that regard. I wasn't aware kiffen used any pistol or much 12 personnel so not sure how similar the sets are.
Very similar...I get confused as to which team Im looking at when I look at their stats. I think the big difference is the person throwing it. Don't think Lewis was the most accurate but he was pretty good at extending plays. Matty ice wasn't a great passer but 67% to 60% is a significant difference. And I think with AR its going to be pretty exciting.

ole piss
ull

Yeah, agreed on the 12, meant to mention that but forgot. My biggest point that got kinda derailed is that it isn't a dink and dunk passing offense. It is a LOS run game with medium to long routes. I dont think its a fair label to say ball control like some do either because it doesn't seem to me he is interested in eating up the clock. Its tactical with intent to score, not keep the other team's offense off the field. He gambles very much like Kiffin does too. Im not trying to say his playcalling and gameday coaching is the same but the attitude and philosophy seems pretty similar. Some here hold Kiffin up on a pedestal as a pass happy offense and it isn't that at all.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
Very similar...I get confused as to which team Im looking at when I look at their stats. I think the big difference is the person throwing it.
This obviously has some truth to it. My concern there is why couldn't CBN coach a guy by his Sr year or find a guy to throw it? Regardless, completely agree thayt they were limited passing by Levi. I think asu threw his last year there?
My biggest point that got kinda derailed is that it isn't a dink and dunk passing offense. It is a LOS run game with medium to long routes.
Honestly, they were both kinda dink & dunk offenses. Ole miss was 55th in yards/completion and ULL was 71st. ole miss has a bit of an excuse since they were super RPO heavy and often used 1st down hitches as run plays. ULL's excuse would have to be that they set up a lot of 3rd & shorts by running. Based off the little film I've seen, it's a LOS game with short and long routes. Seems similar, but kinda a big difference in philosophy and probably a big reason they're 99th in 3rd down conv % (ole miss is 78th so not a ton better).
I dont think its a fair label to say ball control like some do either because it doesn't seem to me he is interested in eating up the clock. Its tactical with intent to score, not keep the other team's offense off the field. He gambles very much like Kiffin does too.
Honestly, I don't really see how you got to these thoughts. High # of 3 & outs, bc they love running so much on 1st and 2nd down. Doesn't use tempo, bc they want to control clock at the expense of tempo that every good offense does. He gambles in playcalling, which is kinda weird since the scheme seems all about being uber conservative. They were 28th in TOP, which might actually be ULL's highest ranked stat.
Some here hold Kiffin up on a pedestal as a pass happy offense and it isn't that at all.
100%. Kiffen just makes an OFFENSE and people remember the flashy pass plays. But you can see his pro roots in the balance no matter how much he's runs every new college principal.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Matt Corrall actually had less pass attempts this last year than levi lewis

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
Matt Corrall actually had less pass attempts this last year than levi lewis
Bc ole miss played their backup a bit. Still very similar. 429 vs 405. It's the comp % that really changes the passing stats.

rogdochar

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Nap is our coach, the tactician who has a QB who fires rockets that reach receivers in stride, bullets that reach the target before CBs can react. So curls are astute weapons. Not so hard to find WRs to shine with AR.

Our RBs surely can slash away using our serviceable OL, extra-more likely with the extreme breakaway threat jet-like AR can be. Every component of our football team has not had the bottom drop out because of some suggested ruinous recruiting.?? Can't we count on AR with the WRs we already have to operate a successful passing attack.? I have faith we can & will dominate. AR will and his WRs will enjoy their games. Future recruits will be drawn our way. That's the ever-recurring process across the CFB landscape.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Honestly, I don't really see how you got to these thoughts. High # of 3 & outs, bc they love running so much on 1st and 2nd down. Doesn't use tempo, bc they want to control clock at the expense of tempo that every good offense does. He gambles in playcalling, which is kinda weird since the scheme seems all about being uber conservative. They were 28th in TOP, which might actually be ULL's highest ranked stat.
As if you know why the don't use tempo. Dude...you are so full of chit it just keeps overflowing out like you can read someones mind.

Yeah...you are right, its the most boring fuggin offense to ever exist and Napier sucks. But omg, Gundy is the bees knees. Lol...thank the Lord we got your expert dumb arse analysis to teach us the truth.

ltraz

Lifetime Member
Oct 18, 2017
As if you know why the don't use tempo. Dude...you are so full of chit it just keeps overflowing out like you can read someones mind.

Yeah...you are right, its the most boring fuggin offense to ever exist and Napier sucks. But omg, Gundy is the bees knees. Lol...thank the Lord we got your expert dumb arse analysis to teach us the truth.
lol you just said that the guy whose best stat is TOP isn't actually trying to control clock., bc it doesn't 'seem' to you like he is. But I'm the mind reader...

And just to clarify for anyone else...there is no problem with controlling clock. Gator Fans especially have put a negative connotation on it since muschamp, but it's been a part of football forever. Teams with high-tempo offenses that do nothing to control clock always do it at the expense of defense. Bc of the depth of uga, bama, etc, us being a ball-control team might be the exact way to go for now. ULL controlled clock. A good D will contribute, but a top-30 TOP with a high 3&out % did a lot of other stuff to get there. We can debate if that was the intention, but I don't know even though I'm a mind reader. Maybe CBN is so convinced that shifts is the way to a great O and it has nothing to do with TOP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Private conversations
Help Users

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    yyz311