Napier's 2022 Offense

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Kadarious Toney ( even though he's a headcase now in the NFL ). Whittmore and Zipperer seemed to be coming along under the previous staff.
I'd even say gamble. Zack Carter, Swain Jefferson, jachai polite. Hell ,Franks even got better under mullen . Just a few examples. I'm not advocating that we'd be better with mullen in any way. But we had some nice moments and were way better with hin than champ or McElwain.

digitalwangsta

Sep 27, 2020
Now your idiocy is pining after Mullen and the old staff? We know you hate Napier, but come on.
Nope, not pining for Mullen. But I did like Mullen's offense the first 3 years of his tenure more than whatever we're running now with Napier. We have 3 statues of QB's in front of the stadium. Our football coach should put a premium on elite quarterback play. We don't even have a QB coach for petes sake. Instead of our QB getting coached up on the sidelines, he's sulking because he lost his confidence and can't hit the broadside of a barn.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Nope, not pining for Mullen. But I did like Mullen's offense the first 3 years of his tenure more than whatever we're running now with Napier. We have 3 statues of QB's in front of the stadium. Our football coach should put a premium on elite quarterback play. We don't even have a QB coach for petes sake. Instead of our QB getting coached up on the sidelines, he's sulking because he lost his confidence and can't hit the broadside of a barn.
You’re a clown.

When you own a message board, there are always a handful of useless turds that float around at the top of the bowl. Eventually you get tired of smelling them and you have to flush. You’re up next to go for a swirl.

digitalwangsta

Sep 27, 2020
I don't understand. . .I joined this messageboard because I thought this was a place where we could speak our mind more freely about the Gators than on other sites. I didn't realize everyone on here had to roll with the status quo. So should I be happy with where the Gators are at right now?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
think we're a little premature on the "need to hire an oc" talk. Especially being only 2 games in. Kentucky had a good game plan. To make Richardson beat em from the pocket and he couldn't do it. Looked like the scheme was fine, receivers were open but the qb couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Let's see how CBN handles this difficult situation. Trying to beat deer in the headlights syndrome is one helluva challenge but it can be done. Hope he can get AR straightened out, but needs to pull the other QBs we have into the picture in practice. We have to develop good QB play, have to. Good luck Billy this is a tough one

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
So should I be happy with where the Gators are at right now?
I'm totally shocked at ANYONE who isn't happy where the Gators are right now under these circumstances. Things are looking up big time. Recruiting is going great. AR threw two picks - that was the difference in the game. You blame the coaching staff for those picks, I do not. I think he'll bounce back, but time will tell.

We're coming off a 6-7 season and split the first two games against ranked opponents. Coming off of last year, all of us would have been happy with that. Were you expecting a championship this season?

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Agree

Mullen would have been fired if he made it through last season because he would have been blown out.

macNCheeseB

Mar 1, 2016
Let's see how CBN handles this difficult situation. Trying to beat deer in the headlights syndrome is one helluva challenge but it can be done. Hope he can get AR straightened out, but needs to pull the other QBs we have into the picture in practice. We have to develop good QB play, have to. Good luck Billy this is a tough one
This right here, had we had confidence in one of the backup QBs a breather would have been good for AR to see that things were going to be ok and maybe helped settle him. Our QB depth is unknown right now as we haven't seen anybody else. I really hope that we blow the heck out of USF and allow them some game time to se what we have.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i realy do think we need a qb coach. someone needs to work with qb1 on the sidelines during games when adversity has surfaced. billy has the whole team to worry about and can't do that. AR badly needed it.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm totally shocked at ANYONE who isn't happy where the Gators are right now under these circumstances. Things are looking up big time. Recruiting is going great. AR threw two picks - that was the difference in the game. You blame the coaching staff for those picks, I do not. I think he'll bounce back, but time will tell.

We're coming off a 6-7 season and split the first two games against ranked opponents. Coming off of last year, all of us would have been happy with that. Were you expecting a championship this season?

Just before the half, when it was 7-16. Had we done nothing the rest of the game except run 3 times and punt, we win the game. Instead, we passed more than we ran, turned the ball over twice and gave them the game. Our defense had only allowed one touchdown to that point and that one touchdown wasn't even a touchdown. The ball hit the ground but the refs didn't overturn the call. There was no reason to think UK could make up the difference unless we handed the game to them. Which we did. Sometimes the bad coaching isn't so obvious because it's hidden by player failures. At that point it was already apparent AR was struggling throwing the ball. It was time to rely on the ground game because that was all we were sort of having success with. Also, when we needed a 1st down badly, Wright was out there instead of the two backs that have run circles around him this year already. Both Etienne and Johnson are over 7 yards per carry average this year. Wright is hovering around 4. Again, sometimes the bad coaching decisions aren't so evident unless you dig deep into the situations where we failed... I'm still on board with BN, but he didn't call a good game imo, nor did he make good decisions at times. It's only one game, but it's a data point whether we like it or not.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

We’ve got talent, but it needs to perform consistently.

If AR is 21/35 and 1 INT, we win that game by double digits. Open receivers were there, especially early.

Shocked we didn’t try more read options, ran possibly 5 by my count (all handed off), if anything than maybe to get more guys eyes on AR possibly keeping it to allow some more room for the RB’s.

OL missed some key blocks like the last 4th down, if Kingsley makes that it’s a first down and possibly 10-20 yard gain.

Defense had great adjustments. Maybe don’t wait until they score their first points, but then again, if you’ve not given up points, why adjust at that time. Even the TD pass was well covered, WR made a play.

Imagine if in Knoxville the defense we say for 41 minutes against Kentucky and the offense we saw against Utah shows up. That would be a win.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015

Another good review. Crib notes
Kentucky dared us to throw, attacking running defense
AR missed easy throws and regressed after pic
No adjustments and quite a few iffy play calls
Zero deep threat or WR speed to stretch D

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Another good review. Crib notes
Kentucky dared us to throw, attacking running defense
AR missed easy throws and regressed after pic
No adjustments and quite a few iffy play calls
Zero deep threat or WR speed to stretch D

To add to your notes, the playcalling in the first half was really good. The offense had a good gameplan going into the game. By the second half, they scrapped that gameplan at times because Richardson was playing so poorly. Richardson lost confidence in himself and the staff lost confidence in him.

The staff was in a tough place because UK's defense completely sold out against the run, and the QB lost the ability to complete simple 10 yard passes. If AR played like an average QB and not an awful QB, UF wins by double digits.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
If AR was on target we win by 3 TDs. That said, Napier should have run more IMO...and not Wright.

I still like Napier but I hope he can learn from this.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
To add to your notes, the playcalling in the first half was really good. The offense had a good gameplan going into the game. By the second half, they scrapped that gameplan at times because Richardson was playing so poorly. Richardson lost confidence in himself and the staff lost confidence in him.

The staff was in a tough place because UK's defense completely sold out against the run, and the QB lost the ability to complete simple 10 yard passes. If AR played like an average QB and not an awful QB, UF wins by double digits.

You are correct on a lot of that. I still think the play calling, starting with the post-safety kickoff is what lost the game for us. As much as Kentucky was selling out to stop the run, they were also not having much success at all against us. Their lone TD was a miracle heave, questionable catch and with good coverage. Up 9 there, with a young QB that had already shown cracks, we should’ve run the ball(including with him) on that possession and lived with the results. At home especially, with the D playing lights out. Lean on them. Even a 3-and-out would’ve left them with approximately 2 min to drive the field, something they not proven they could do. Even in the second half, make them prove they can score 10 to beat us. Normally I’m more aggressive and would want that from BN. But in that moment, we needed to secure a win and failed to do that.

Bad game by AR, worse game by the staff. That said, there’s a lot of inexperience with both, and I think they’ll grow from it and be fine.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I don't understand. . .I joined this messageboard because I thought this was a place where we could speak our mind more freely about the Gators than on other sites. I didn't realize everyone on here had to roll with the status quo. So should I be happy with where the Gators are at right now?
He's not wrong.....I too feel tension whenever I speak the truth regarding the reality of our program. I don't dislike what BN has brought this far but the talent level is just not where some of us want it to be....In regards to Napier we'll know what we have by the end of October regardless of where we stand in the W-L column.....

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You are correct on a lot of that. I still think the play calling, starting with the post-safety kickoff is what lost the game for us. As much as Kentucky was selling out to stop the run, they were also not having much success at all against us. Their lone TD was a miracle heave, questionable catch and with good coverage. Up 9 there, with a young QB that had already shown cracks, we should’ve run the ball(including with him) on that possession and lived with the results. At home especially, with the D playing lights out. Lean on them. Even a 3-and-out would’ve left them with approximately 2 min to drive the field, something they not proven they could do. Even in the second half, make them prove they can score 10 to beat us. Normally I’m more aggressive and would want that from BN. But in that moment, we needed to secure a win and failed to do that.

Bad game by AR, worse game by the staff. That said, there’s a lot of inexperience with both, and I think they’ll grow from it and be fine.
I don't think the staff ever experienced what happened when AR completely lost his accuracy and confidence. It was totally unexpected for them, and I'm sure there's a lot of things they'd do differently in hindsight. So yes, the staff made their share of mistakes, but AR's bad play killed several drives, gave UK points, and cut out a significant portion of the playbook for that night. AR's emotional state did more damage than the staff management imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Private conversations
Help Users

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    greatergator