Nap's is Closed (bummer)

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Gainesville things I hated to see go, mostly for nostalgic reasons. In no particular order.

Snuffy's
The Rat
Dubs
Skeeters
Backstage Bar
Great Southern Music Hall for that matter
Mother Earth
In & Out
White Castle
The Alibi
The Old College Inn

Is Lillian's still open?
In & Out as in the California fast food chain??? No way there was one of those in Gainesville, was there?

Also, White Castle??? That was a staple in NJ where I grew up. I'm shocked there was ever one in Gainesville. When I got there in 1990, I had to learn to adapt to Krystal as the WC knockoff. Krystal's wasn't/isn't nearly as good.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Gainesville things I hated to see go, mostly for nostalgic reasons. In no particular order.

Snuffy's
The Rat
Dubs
Skeeters
Backstage Bar
Great Southern Music Hall for that matter
Mother Earth
In & Out
White Castle
The Alibi
The Old College Inn

Is Lillian's still open?
Places I remember...

Skeeters
Zips
Purple Porpoise
Ashley's Pub
Leonardo's
Burrito Brothers
Joe's Deli
Copper Monkey
Café Gardens

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
In & Out as in the California fast food chain??? No way there was one of those in Gainesville, was there?

Also, White Castle??? That was a staple in NJ where I grew up. I'm shocked there was ever one in Gainesville. When I got there in 1990, I had to learn to adapt to Krystal as the WC knockoff. Krystal's wasn't/isn't nearly as good.

The In and Out was down near main and university, across from Ralph's. I want to say real close to where the Covered Dish was.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You guys must be too young to remember the Primrose Inn. It was a great place for a poor college kid to take a date for a real good meal at a great price. I took my wife there several times back in the late 70’s when I was trying to impress her

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
I am actually not surprised. We used to eat there every time we were in town and when we recently moved back home to Gainesville Naps was one of the first restaurants we went to. I don’t know if we built it up too much or what but it wasn’t nearly as good as in the past. I was really surprised and disappointed. Sorry to see another landmark restaurant die. I can add Naps to the list with The Primrose Inn and Ashley’s Pub
My wife and I ate at the Primrose Inn as often as grad students could (not often) back in the 1960s. We have never found a restaurant of that type (don't know how to describe the type) in the ensuimghalf century.
I should give everyone on this thread a dislike for not mentioning Napolitamo's until it closed.
While we are reminiscing over Gainesville restaurants, let's not forget Art's, the only steak house a grad student could agfaff.

gatorplank

Jul 28, 2017
I live in the area, and I rarely went there. I have nothing negative to say about it. Was a good restaurant. O Sole Mio Cucina Italiana is the best Italian place in west Gainesville and maybe the whole area.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The In and Out was down near main and university, across from Ralph's. I want to say real close to where the Covered Dish was.
It was on Hawthorne Road right where Hawthorne split off University. Best damn fries in the world.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It was on Hawthorne Road right where Hawthorne split off University. Best damn fries in the world.

I didn't remember it being that far down university, but then again, I never was driving when I went there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't remember it being that far down university, but then again, I never was driving when I went there.
I roomed with a college buddy in a cool frame home off SE 27th way down by the Prairie during my second tour of duty in Hogtown, 1979-81. Drove past that In & Out every day.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure they rented by the hour...

AR-604135831.jpg

Alex.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

My bad. It was the Krystal across from Matherly, not White Castle. I'd order five burgers for about $1.25. Place was always packed.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Williston Road. Lived just down the road on SW 21st Street when I moved to G'ville.

13th, when ever we ran for distance in practice, we ran past this hotel.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
During homecoming parade, a friend of my family owned a roofing company, they would place two dump trucks across from Krystals on 13th, and would put planks across the top of the beds, and we would watch the parade from there. It was the one time a year I was always guaranteed Krystal burgers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.