Nap's is Closed (bummer)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, 13th and Williston. Outskirts of town.

We would go down depot, then hit Williston, then right on 13th... past by it... some interesting people would come out of there.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We would go down depot, then hit Williston, then right on 13th... past by it... some interesting people would come out of there.
Lol, I don't recall ever seeing a single person at that motel. I wondered how they stayed in business. Hookers and blow.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, I dont recall ever seeing a single person at that motel. I wondered how they stayed in business. Hookers and blow.

Like ADG said, they had an hourly rate, and it would get packed on certain game weekends, because of the lack of other hotel rooms

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wasn't there a Brown Derby on 13th south of Williston by about a mile?

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Does anyone remember the RedBarn?
Brasington Cadillac later moved there and has since been torn down for apartments.
When I rode to town to get material with my dad he would go the extra few miles to get a burger. Damn I miss those burgers and my dad.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Does anyone remember the RedBarn?
Brasington Cadillac later moved there and has since been torn down for apartments.
When I rode to town to get material with my dad he would go the extra few miles to get a burger. Damn I miss those burgers and my dad.

My dad is still with me, but trips to Ralph's, In & Out, or Murphy's Pub were always with my dad... usually after some sporting event, or in the case of Murphy's pub watching a sporting event on their Satellite especially when we were on probation.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I live in the area, and I rarely went there. I have nothing negative to say about it. Was a good restaurant. O Sole Mio Cucina Italiana is the best Italian place in west Gainesville and maybe the whole area.

I do too and agree.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There was a mom n pop grocery store called Wards. You could bring them a hog or deer you killed and they'd process it for you, even make sausage for you.

There were the ACR bars--the Rotator and Dubs.

Nobody remembers my favorite burger joint--a place called "Doug's Dairy Twirl" with a sign shaped like a chocolate/vanilla swirl soft-serve cone. It was on NW 6th Street, not far from Wards. Not a place frequented by students. Swamp Head brewery named an imperial stout after Dougs and Dragonfly sells a retro t-shirt.

doug%27s+dairy+twirl.JPG

There was a shady convenience store nearby that sold quarts of eight ball for less than a buck (kept them on ice). Never asked for ID.

Alex.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doug Dairy Twirl on 6th, with no indoor seating... used to go there when we had to drop the animals off at the vet. I don't think I ever had one of their burgers.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What was the name of the cool little convenience store across from the law school? Wilbert's? Delbert's?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What was the name of the cool little convenience store across from the law school? Wilbert's? Delbert's?

I want to saw Wilberts… the convience store at the corner across from the Hardees on 13th and SW 20th, was Beer World. It was near to for a while the only Arby's in the Nation with a Dollar Menu.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Doug Dairy Twirl on 6th, with no indoor seating... used to go there when we had to drop the animals off at the vet. I don't think I ever had one of their burgers.

I never had a burger there either, always an ice cream cone which was a real treat back in the day circa ‘68

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I want to saw Wilberts… the convience store at the corner across from the Hardees on 13th and SW 20th, was Beer World. It was near to for a while the only Arby's in the Nation with a Dollar Menu.

You are correct it was Wilbert’s and it was there forever. I used to go there with my father when I was little. In fact, I got to see a football player named Steve Spurrier in ‘66. I was too stunned to say anything I just stood there with my mouth open. Great memory

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

The owner's name was Steve. Wilbert was his dad but he didn't mind being called Wilbert.

Steve knew what he was doing. He bought a bunch of homes near the store, tore them down, and built new homes designed to rent to law students.

An article about Wilberts and Steve when they closed a few years ago:

Law school hangout has closed; Wilbert's was an institution

Alex.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anybody ever go to Nell’s package store in the ghetto? We used to get all our kegs from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.