National Signing Day 2017

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone else concerned we didn't sign a kicker? Eddy drops a hammy then were back to praying we hit XP circa 2015

Sep 29, 2015
You can extrapolate pretty much whatever you want from these numbers. Zook's 2003 class was largely responsible for the 2006 title or that Meyer, in consideration of the elite 2008 and 2010 classes, did less with more than any other coach. You're bucking the odds, however, if you have high expectations coupled with mid-level recruiting.

You can see some trends in recruiting. Chump had a nice head start inheriting a program with peak national exposure, "broken" as it may have been. Started out above-average for a transition year, typical strong year 2, then a decline each year.

Mac's first year took the brunt of the chump debacle. Unlike chump taking over for Meyer, the program Mac took over was dead and it showed in recruiting. Remember that 24 was actually salvaged by Mac with a few late 4 and 5*; it was even worse than this year's class down the final stretch. That was followed up by a 14 then this year's 9 despite the continuation of a chronically bad offense.

The trend points to an even better 2018. Obviously context matters - if the offense continues to be atrocious then all bets are off. Then again, if it shows any signs of life, it is reasonable to expect a top 5 class. And that is before we account for likely better recruiters coming on board with the upcoming hires.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Overall this was a very good class considering the situation we were in a week ago.

This is definitely not a perfect class, but it does slightly close the gap and provides us with pieces to be successful.

1. This class filled the DT and DB needs.
2. While I know everybody says these 3* LBs are better than their rating... we really need some elite talent at that position.
3. I would have liked to see another OL, but I know we have depth there.
4. Skill positions - We are set at RB and WR. TE we will see and QB we will see.
5. Elite players - this is our biggest miss right now. If we add elite players next class they should be able to thrive with the talent around them.

Mac did a good job on this class. As many said he did what he is supposed to do at UF (top 10 class). Anything below Top 10 is unacceptable. So this class is acceptable and he has been trending in the right direction.

I think he needs a top 5 class next year and that will only happen if the offense shows significant improvement.

I think the offense will show improvement. We have seen this offense work well when the QB plays well. As long as we get solid QB play (doesn't even have to be elite) we should be able to score points.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Let me say that it pleases me that we finished as well as we did. I was skeptical that this class could be cobbled together with what looked to be a late push. I feel some better about Mac, even though I'd personally like to see more on the front end of our recruiting efforts. I'll put the emphasis of my "Rebuild" thread on ice for a bit, but I can't throw it in the trash until I see us finish the schedule with a positive ending instead of a swoon (F$U, SECCG, etc.). Hire some coaches and get 'em ready.

Well said. My sentiments, too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I dont understand why you want to mirror rex. You guys should probably get married.
I gave you a dislike just to drive you crazy.

But I like you. I really, really like you.

Last edited:

Mainland_Buc_75

Emerald Gulf Coast Gator
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Here's my take. You want football championships? You hire championship coaches. Spurrier won the ACC at Duke before coming home to UF. Meyer won the MWC twice at Utah before coming to UF. Both won SEC and national championship games at UF.

This is the flaw, imho, of Foley's FBC hiring process. UF should have never settled for less than a championship head coach. Zook never got to Atlanta; neither did Muschamp. Both had some great recruiting classes; but neither could coach the talent up to a championship level.

In my opinion, Coach Mac shouldn't have been hired at UF, since he wasn't a championship winning or conference winning head coach. As a loyal Gator fan, I can only hope that his recruiting classes continue to improve, that he hires assistants capable of displaying championship coaching abilities, and that he can turn around seven years of mediocrity on Offense next year. That said, UF football is a terrible place to learn on the job and I just don't think Mac is going to learn to win championships in time to save himself from angry mob ready to lynch after losing 4 games again next year.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My bet is he's gone next year...he's going to get popped for weed again and be out the door...
Someone said Cleveland would never catch a pass at UF after the BB gun incident - he's doing okay.
Let's hope JRob's learned some lessons over the past few months and keeps it together. Time will tell.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think JRob is on a zero tolerance. I think he is on a short leash. Listening to Mac, he talked about being involved in the kids lives and surrounding them with positive support. I think he gets some latitude with him so long as a transgression isn't a felony, and that he keeps making progress. 3 steps forward, one step back

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Most page views in a single day in GCMB history:
1. 36,042 / February 4, 2015 (National Signing Day) 1,542 unique visitors
2. 31,258 / February 3, 2016 (National Signing Day) 1,296 unique visitors

Let's blow the record away, boys and girls!
Numbers for NSD:

Pageviews: 39,732
Unique visitors: 1,500

Nice job everyone!

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Numbers for NSD:

Pageviews: 39,732