NBA Legend Willis Reed Passes at Age 80

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You know you were a legend when a classic game is named after you. Game 7; NBA finals; Knicks vs Bucks: The Willis Reed Game.

Edit: Lakers. (What was I thinking?)

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
All of America was expecting Wilt and the Lakers to breeze past the Knicks. Willis Reed had other ideas, hobbled as he was. Recall watching that game at my grandparents’s house (they had a color tv). Was just getting into basketball and wanted to see the imposing Chamberlain. He was as big as a mountain. Reed showed a lot of heart.

1679486528398.png

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
And in that Game 7, I believe Reed only made 2 baskets. But the fact that game is talked about so much b/c of Reed says it all.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
That Knicks team had some great players IIRC: Bill Bradley, Cazzie Russell, Walt Frazier, Dave Stallworth, Dave Debusschere, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe among others.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Great team.....willis was man....I saw that series.....senior in hs

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And in that Game 7, I believe Reed only made 2 baskets. But the fact that game is talked about so much b/c of Reed says it all.
I was 9 at the time and only remember Reed having a minimal effect on the box score (4 pts as FF points out), but I was reminded as I listened to a recap on talk radio this morning that when he hit the court for warm ups, after having been injured and missing the previous game, the Lakers stopped momentarily and just watched in amazement as he took the floor. Walt Frazier, who I believe had 37 pts and 19 assists, said later that it was at that moment they knew they had the Lakers!

The NBA then compared to now is no comparison. They actually played basketball and not the jack up AAU crap we see now, which is a shame because basketball players are and always have been among the greatest athletes spanning all team sports. I know there was a lot more pride and focus on the team back then and there was still room for excellent individual play. Got to appreviate Reed's heart and determination.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That was a talented Knicks team that relied on unselfish play and a tenacious defense. They could beat you a lot of ways. Hard to believe Reed was 80.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The NBA then compared to now is no comparison. They actually played basketball and not the jack up AAU crap we see now, which is a shame because basketball players are and always have been among the greatest athletes spanning all team sports. I know there was a lot more pride and focus on the team back then and there was still room for excellent individual play. Got to appreviate Reed's heart and determination.
This is exactly how I see it. But the three point line changed the game so much and for the worse I have realized for awhile now. I loved pro sports back then, When you said players name you knew instantly who his team was. Now even in college is a damned musical chairs party all the time.,......

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
That was a talented Knicks team that relied on unselfish play and a tenacious defense. They could beat you a lot of ways. Hard to believe Reed was 80.
did you get some cake. Did you eat it all. Was it good. How old tf are you now. (this may be the Wild Turkey talking)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
did you get some cake. Did you eat it all. Was it good. How old tf are you now. (this may be the Wild Turkey talking)

To give you an idea of how exciting my life is, the highlight was taking on a plastic Publix container of chocolate chip cookies. I've become my father.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
To give you an idea of how exciting my life is, the highlight was taking on a plastic Publix container of chocolate chip cookies. I've become my father.
some of those publix cookies are damned good.........we all become our father (if we are lucky).......Publix does have a liquor store with Wild Turkey and you can relive your youth (if only for a few hours) .......just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb