NCAA announces all athletes can make money

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Now we'll see how much Bama has been paying as the incoming recruits who already know somebody there probably were told how much they were given, so will demand at least that much.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
don't ask, don't tell......

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
this has nothing to do with colleges paying athletes.

it has to do with them having outside jobs.

sports "journalists" though aren't that bright

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Am I missing something or wasn’t this basically decided by the SC a few weeks ago? Are they just trying to save face and make it seems as if they are the ones that decided to this, all on their own, or is this something different? I’m honestly asking. It looks like the same likeness/autograph thing that was already announced.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Sure it does. When you are a celebrity, like these athletes they will have the ability to get paid for doing pretty much nothing. Some booster can now put up your cutout in their business with text saying you support that business and they can give you whatever amount of money they want. They don't even have to try.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
No, a booster can't pay them, nor can the university.
I haven't (nor will I) read any of the weasel words associated with this change.

Are you telling me, if I own a car dealership, I can't pay [insert "athlete name"] for the use of his/her likeness, and also pay him/her a commission on each sale that is related to the use of their likeness (ie ... a checkbox on the sales agreement that says "this dealerships support of [insert "athlete name] was one of the reasons I purchased this car"??? How would that be regulated? If I own the dealership and happen to be a booster ... so what. The law can't give non-boosters the right to use a likeness and deny boosters. Free Market baby.

Women athletes have the potential for provocative calendars, posters, "toys" etc.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No, a booster can't pay them, nor can the university.

You can't possibly believe that. It will be exploited like everything else. As I always say, the private sector will always be smarter. This will be no different.

I'm technically fine with it. But every time we tinker with things, it turns into something we didn't expect. It's why many of us have talked about this being a slippery slope that ends not very well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you telling me, if I own a car dealership, I can't pay [insert "athlete name"] for the use of his/her likeness, and also pay
What the fuchs makes you think I told you that? Matbe have someone else read my posts to you. YES, AN ATHLETE CAN SELL HIS LIKENESS.

But schools and boosters cant pay him for it.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You can't possibly believe that. It will be exploited like everything else..
Cant possibly believe what? That Bammer and others will continue cheating? OF COURSE THEY WILL. Bammer equals cheating, all through history.

Im just telling what the rule is. Boosters and schools are still regulated. EAA sports, Jimbobs Chevy or Yellawood isnt.

The point is the teams that are damn near overtly paying their players (namely Bammer, Ugly, LSU, Clemson and many more) just lost some leverage over the teams that suspend players if they show up in an Escalade before the bowl game (namely us).

Bammer will still have their Escalades and Hellcats but our players have the chance of making money too.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
95% of them will make zero based on their NIL. Hell, the vast majority of pro athletes don’t have endorsement deals. Who’s gonna pay to have some left guard endorse their product?
Now, you get a generational player like Tebow, Bo or Hershel? They’ll be filthy rich before they’re ever draft eligible.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
95% of them will make zero based on their NIL. Hell, the vast majority of pro athletes don’t have endorsement deals. Who’s gonna pay to have some left guard endorse their product?
Now, you get a generational player like Tebow, Bo or Hershel? They’ll be filthy rich before they’re ever draft eligible.

There was a good conversation on I think it was the Rich Eisen show, some players who are great college players, but are marginal NFL prospects. Will stay in school longer because the potential for more long term revenue from the marketing in the college town than they will potentially make in the league.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Do you think this might cause some friction in the locker room?
What about the athletes in other sports that aren't typically seen as 'revenue generating'?
Will they be a little discouraged?
I can see a movement growing that will demand equal distribution of these newly found funds to all of the other athletes at a school.
And...do they have to pay taxes on all of this new found money?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What about the athletes in other sports that aren't typically seen as 'revenue generating'?
I can see a movement growing that will demand equal distribution of these newly found funds to all of the other athletes at a school.

Can you imagine sprinters at UF under coach mouse making the money they truly deserve. Some of the stars of non-revenue sports could potentially do very well as well.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Does it cause friction in professional locker rooms? You play a glamorous position for a marquis team, you get endorsement deals. You play in the trenches and you don’t.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Does it cause friction in professional locker rooms? You play a glamorous position for a marquis team, you get endorsement deals. You play in the trenches and you don’t.

agreed - but those professionals also get paid a butt-load of money in salary and bonus money (not all, of course), but they do well for themselves.
the typical student athlete does not.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I think it will cause friction but not so much between different position groups. I think it will cause friction within the position groups. Especially the skill groups. It will be hard to keep depth at RB, WR and QB.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
agreed - but those professionals also get paid a butt-load of money in salary and bonus money (not all, of course), but they do well for themselves.
the typical student athlete does not.
It’s not meant to make them set for life as 18-22 year old student athletes. It’s just allowing them to potentially get a small piece of the pie for their NIL while they’re there. Folks are reading way too much into this. It’s like they’ve been brainwashed over the years by the very organization they hate…the NCAA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb