NCAA announces all athletes can make money

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, its going to be a ****show allowing these companies to just wash money through these players. There is no way in hell this guy gets ROI on this.
ROI? Do you have any idea what these places pay for advertising? Or how much, say, the ATT girl with the gorgeous tatas makes? 6k per player is nothing.

Milana-Vayntrub-2.jpg

Hell 6k is more than Fooley would pay or players, but not alot more. I think Fooley gives them $3000. Most other schools give almost double ish.

If I were selling BBQ or something Id sure as hell line up the OL and DL and record them slopping. If your hungry like big Ole Gators , then Billy Bob's BBQ is the only plays for you.

If the NCAA were smart, they would have kept businesses out of it. .
Its not up to them. They have no legal reason to be allowed to ban the kids from working or selling their likeness.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah I dont understand the angst on this. What grounds do you guys have to say this is a really bad idea? Why is it bad that a MMA gym wants to promote his business by paying all the scholly players on a team? Why is it bad that a restaurant wants to pay the biggest dudes on the team to promote his food? This has nothing to do with the university and the player but the university stands to benefit anyways. What angers me is Fuchs&Co trying to get involved more than they should.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah I dont understand the angst on this. What grounds do you guys have to say this is a really bad idea? Why is it bad that a MMA gym wants to promote his business by paying all the scholly players on a team? Why is it bad that a restaurant wants to pay the biggest dudes on the team to promote his food? This has nothing to do with the university and the player but the university stands to benefit anyways. What angers me is Fuchs&Co trying to get involved more than they should.

Because it will be exploited and will become a pay-to-play scenario in recruiting(more than it already is), no matter how many times Law insists that it won't. I can guarantee you there are attorneys all over the country, specifically in the towns of our rivals, that are poring over the ruling and other "rules" to establish exactly how they'll have their clients get around them. It's just not that complicated. But to make matters worse, as you point out, it will be very situational. Our guys are trying their best to create their own guidelines when you already see other places embracing it. Not to mention an areas like Miami is going to be at a complete advantage based not only on the volume of potential businesses, but on the money that's there in comparison to Gainesville. You really think Satchel's pizza is going to pay top dollar to athletes the way this MMA toolbag is? There are just so many way this completely destroys the game we love, and for literally zero reason.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Why wouldnt Nike pay our players? We are one of the Air Jordan teams.

I guess Im looking at this wrong. I love a free market and would rather it be that way instead of it being done illegally. This levels the playing field for all.

Nike is based in Oregon and has been a major sponsor of Oregon sports for years - that's why they wear a different ugly AF uniform every week. I was just listing schools that have some sort of close affiliation w/ a wealthy business/company. Nike, Under Armor, and many other companies sponsor multiple schools - but Nike has a close relationship w/ Oregon & UA has a close relationship w/ Maryland.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I don't see how you don't see how this is a fiasco and a disaster waiting to happen. Why would a kid come to UF when he could go to Miami, Alabama, USC, or any other school who is going to exploit TF out of this? Sure, UF kids will make some scratch - but when a kid sits down and says, "If I go to Texas I'll get $50k/year without doing any of my own marketing/self-promotion due to the deals they have set up...or I could go to UF where I'd only get $20k/year." Hmmm....tough choice. That's already $120k over 4 years without doing their own personal NIL. It's ridiculous. And there's no cap! WTF?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

You're kidding, right?

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Because it will be exploited

Yes, we wouldn't want to exploit rules. upload_2021-7-14_21-12-20.jpeg

Miami is going to be at a complete advantage based not only on the volume of potential businesses, but on the money that's there in comparison to Gainesville. You really think Satchel's pizza is going to pay top dollar

Not you too SoFla. Why is Gainesville possbily the only market? This is so silly. The advantage will be in Jax, Tampa and Orlando where UF players will draw more dollars for the same auto-dealer than FSU or Miami players. Look at our stadium and fan base. We crush those schools and our alumni power is in its spending prime. Our students may not go to games, but hte 35-55 crowd with the most disposeable income lived through the greatest UF generation. We are the market again and greatly outnumber those schools.

This is where we catch up, not fall behind.

ure, UF kids will make some scratch - but when a kid sits down and says, "If I go to Texas I'll get $50k/year without doing any of my own marketing/self-promotion due to the deals they have set up...or I could go to UF where I'd only get $20k/year."

BMF, we are Texas in this situaiton. If anything Texas and Florida suffer from the same problem versus a trailerbammer in having more competition to dilute dollars.

But, why can't 4Rivers BBQ with prominent locations in Orlando and Tampa use both UF and FSU players. Watch when the private market does not follow UF's lead and actually pays our players more that fsu or um players because they bring more value due to fan base size. That will be the ultimate little brother statement to those teams.

Sure, stars will demand their own markets, but run of the mill UF players will benefit more than most other markets.

Where this could really turn is the T. Boone Pickens of the world. Schools you may not think could completely become powerhouses could have Oregon like results. It only take 1-2 football crazed billionaires to titl the scales. What it Jerry Jones decides the entire Arkansas football team can sign up every year for $50k minimum, with bonus, to promote the use of natural gas.

Would a billionaire who overpays ****ty pro football players pay only $4 million (or potentially far more) to get a winning college team? I could see the prices being far higher.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're kidding, right?
See!!!!

The problem is UF alums doesnt have any money!!!

Really hard to figure out that line of thinking.

Or maybe Threat is concerned that less goes to Fooley and more goes to the kids. Now that I think about it, Ive never seen Fooley and Threat in the same place.

It could he a real bummer for the soccer and lacrosse team though. That will make Fooley & Co mad.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@Sec14Gator

I get that there are people breaking rules. But theoretically those rules didn’t change when it comes to enticing recruits. But while others will immediately jump on this and benefit greatly, we simply won’t.

And as for cities, places like Tampa and Orlando will have as much incentive to market UCF, USF, and even um and nole players as UF. And wait until you see uga boosters in Jax sponsoring a bulldog kid with billboards, commercials, etc. That place is crawling with them.

But mainly I just don’t like the change. As I’ve said, I’m not really against a kid being able to work or sign an autograph for a few extra bucks. The problem is it just doesn’t end there and spirals quickly. So as much I despise the NCAA, their curtailing some of that for years has been good. It will change the entire game, and I can’t come up with one valid reason why.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Because it will be exploited and will become a pay-to-play scenario in recruiting(more than it already is), no matter how many times Law insists that it won't. I can guarantee you there are attorneys all over the country, specifically in the towns of our rivals, that are poring over the ruling and other "rules" to establish exactly how they'll have their clients get around them. It's just not that complicated. But to make matters worse, as you point out, it will be very situational. Our guys are trying their best to create their own guidelines when you already see other places embracing it. Not to mention an areas like Miami is going to be at a complete advantage based not only on the volume of potential businesses, but on the money that's there in comparison to Gainesville. You really think Satchel's pizza is going to pay top dollar to athletes the way this MMA toolbag is? There are just so many way this completely destroys the game we love, and for literally zero reason.

Nike is based in Oregon and has been a major sponsor of Oregon sports for years - that's why they wear a different ugly AF uniform every week. I was just listing schools that have some sort of close affiliation w/ a wealthy business/company. Nike, Under Armor, and many other companies sponsor multiple schools - but Nike has a close relationship w/ Oregon & UA has a close relationship w/ Maryland.

I don't see how you don't see how this is a fiasco and a disaster waiting to happen. Why would a kid come to UF when he could go to Miami, Alabama, USC, or any other school who is going to exploit TF out of this? Sure, UF kids will make some scratch - but when a kid sits down and says, "If I go to Texas I'll get $50k/year without doing any of my own marketing/self-promotion due to the deals they have set up...or I could go to UF where I'd only get $20k/year." Hmmm....tough choice. That's already $120k over 4 years without doing their own personal NIL. It's ridiculous. And there's no cap! WTF?

You're kidding, right?

WTF is wrong with you people? Exploited? Lawyers finding ways around the rules? Companies with close relationships with schools?

Jesus...pull your heads out of your arses. This is between the athlete and those companies. Its their money to make. You aren't protecting them from anything. You guys bash the NCAA all the time and some of you are on the political boards trumpeting less government. This is less regulations so people can be free to do what they want yet you guys think they are being exploited? Yall sound like a bunch of libtards. Just because UF is run by a bunch of self righteous morons who will try to regulate it doesn't mean you should be mad at the other places for doing everything they can to get every bit out of it, should be p!ssed at Fuchs and Strickie.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The problem is it just doesn’t end there and spirals quickly.

I get your point and think you and I have gone back and forth on this for a few years now if you go back. But, where we diverge is whether it is a “spiral” or a correction, i.e. where we have a game change such that our own UAA stops holding back one of the top 5 (legitimate argument for #1) economic football powerhouses.

Now is the time we simply work around those bureaucrats and take this sh!t back on our own. Those of us who went to school 15-30 years ago and watched greatness now have real wealth to impact this the way we want without the school’s intervention.

You fear it (kind of surprising based on other aspects of your personality), where I’m usually conservative, but think this will be a strong UF benefit in the long run.

We are the most powerful program in the fourth largest state. Only Texas is our peer in that regard because California and NY simply don’t care.

I understand your concern and still don’t like any playoff for many reasons (I’m traditional as to college football), but based on where we are today and our own self-defeating management, I welcome this change.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The whole point of the lower entrance standards is so that kids who are otherwise disadvantaged to have an opportunity for an education and provide them with a path out of a deadend community. In other words, it allows stupid mutherfuchers who can run fast, or hit hard a way out of da hood.

Now you are going to be giving a bunch of ignorant sh1theads a bunch of money, and say "go represent our school". Exactly how many kids are going to try to parlay these new gains into seed money for guns and drugs. Over half the football players probably smoke dope now, can't wait for them to start selling now too.

They already get plenty of compensation. If they want that compensation to be more based in cash, they should start their own pro league. Let the NFL start a farm system

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
WTF is wrong with you people? Exploited? Lawyers finding ways around the rules? Companies with close relationships with schools?

Jesus...pull your heads out of your arses. This is between the athlete and those companies. Its their money to make. You aren't protecting them from anything. You guys bash the NCAA all the time and some of you are on the political boards trumpeting less government. This is less regulations so people can be free to do what they want yet you guys think they are being exploited? Yall sound like a bunch of libtards. Just because UF is run by a bunch of self righteous morons who will try to regulate it doesn't mean you should be mad at the other places for doing everything they can to get every bit out of it, should be p!ssed at Fuchs and Strickie.
:exactly:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
They already get plenty of compensation.
Yeah, that $3000 a year probably puts them in the top income bracket huh?

I cant say that Im surprised you are leading the way at saving "the hood rats"... how did the klan rally with Ferg go last night?

This isnt even taking money from your boy, Fooley. Well except to the extent that people who might otherwise attemp to give money to the Athletic Department, only for them to spend it on softball, baseball and lacrosse, might now give it directly to the players in some way.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It costs celebrities hundred’s of thousands of dollars to get their dumbass kids on scholarship, so that sets the market value for athletes who haven’t earned the right for entrance. Add the food bill every month, which is likely over a thousand bucks a month. Lodging over a thousand a month. Tutors that would cost a minimum of $25/hr, but likely more. Healthcare, tuition, school supplies, training facilities, free clothing and shoes, etc etc

GTFO with your $3,000 victimhood BS.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The whole point of the lower entrance standards is so that kids who are otherwise disadvantaged to have an opportunity for an education and provide them with a path out of a deadend community. In other words, it allows stupid mutherfuchers who can run fast, or hit hard a way out of da hood.

Now you are going to be giving a bunch of ignorant sh1theads a bunch of money, and say "go represent our school". Exactly how many kids are going to try to parlay these new gains into seed money for guns and drugs. Over half the football players probably smoke dope now, can't wait for them to start selling now too.

They already get plenty of compensation. If they want that compensation to be more based in cash, they should start their own pro league. Let the NFL start a farm system

Nailed it. I've said much of this as well. We can paint this however we'd like, but this is about "social justice" and nothing more. People thought it was ridiculous when the skiing kid from CU lost his scholarship, but there wasn't enough uproar to move any needles. This is just the latest installment of "it's not fair", specifically for a particular demographic. And as always, it will only exacerbate the problem. Not a year goes by that some NFL/NBA star doesn't go bankrupt in one of those almost unbelievable stories. And those are adults, with agents and others trying to help them manage their money. This will be 17-20 year old kids, often from humble backgrounds being handed large amounts of money. It will not go well, and anyone saying otherwise is fooling themselves.

Another point is that the more this becomes a business, not an amateur sport, you will inevitably see contracts. Right now that booster has no coverage because the 20k he gave to the signee isn't legal. The moment some business throws 100k the way of a 5* athlete for his likeness, *ahem* signature on the LOI, there will be clauses that allow them to claw that back or cancel if certain conditions aren't met. So when Brenton Cox tells Athens Ford he's transferring to Florida, does anyone think they'll just let him walk with the funds, no recourse? It may happen. Once. In a similar vein, if it becomes a true business, then like any business, weak links will be cut. So the kid from Pahokee that doesn't work out and isn't as good as UF expected him to be gets sent back to the muck with nothing, not even the degree he was promised. After all, that's how businesses work. And this is yet another way that UF and its current administration is in no way prepared to handle this new reality. Because we will keep the Justin Williams of the world for 5 years out of benevolence, while the cut throat programs we're currently trailing won't, giving them even greater roster advantage.

Like you said, start a farm system if that's what some of these kids are demanding. Let the kids who want to play a sport while getting a degree continue to do so. But in any event, that's obviously not happening. So now it's about watching how disastrous it becomes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GTFO with your $3,000 victimhood BS.
What was your position with the Athletic Department? I forget.

Luckily there are plenty more like you destroying the thing.

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Phil Knight is an Oregon alum and Kevin Plank is a Maryland Alum (and was a walk-on). Who are UF's billionaire alums and when are they going to step up??

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.