NCAA Authorizes eligibility relief due to COVID

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Since nothing else to talk about now, there seems to be a push to grant seniors another year of eligibility. Apparently, there have been some tweets today that some NCAA committee is in support of that. What say you?

I am more of the ilk that this is just a bizarre unfortunate event and just let it be. Yes it sucks for the seniors, but what about all the other athletes, Freshman - Junior? shouldnt they also get another year for that matter? And while it sucks for bball and the tourney, they at least played their whole season. Who is going to pay for the extra year? Just seems to me, while well intentioned, creating more problems with trying to solve one problem.

DoubleGator87and90

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Since nothing else to talk about now, there seems to be a push to grant seniors another year of eligibility. Apparently, there have been some tweets today that some NCAA committee is in support of that. What say you?

I am more of the ilk that this is just a bizarre unfortunate event and just let it be. Yes it sucks for the seniors, but what about all the other athletes, Freshman - Junior? shouldnt they also get another year for that matter? And while it sucks for bball and the tourney, they at least played their whole season. Who is going to pay for the extra year? Just seems to me, while well intentioned, creating more problems with trying to solve one problem.

Agreed. Life is unfair sometimes. I would, however, grant a 5th year of eligibility to a senior accepted to grad school because that student-athlete would have a reason to still be in school that is not solely attributable to continuing a playing career. An exemption should be granted to programs who have those additional grads on their rosters that take them over the scholarship/roster limit.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you give the seniors an extra year of eligibility, do you have to expand the rosters of the spring sports to accommodate the incoming freshman? Then what do you do with all the extra players, redshirt them? It’s going to cause a domino effect for years to come. It may just be better to just let it be. Every now and then in life you have to eat a sh*t sandwich.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds fair,

I wonder if they will allow a one time transfer if a school has the virus... of course they would have to transfer to a school that doesn’t

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
This would screw incoming Freshman and Sophomores. It's an idiotic bureaucratic idea that will have bad consequences.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Really dont agree with this. Screws up more things. Really, if they want to do right, they should give all an extra year of eligibility. Why do the seniors have a special exemption?

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Really dont agree with this. Screws up more things. Really, if they want to do right, they should give all an extra year of eligibility. Why do the seniors have a special exemption

Of course, this is true. However, you are really hurting incoming freshman who will have less playing time. Also, I suspect most players will not want the 6th year of eligibility. They will want to get on with their lives. The 85 player limit would have to be raised. Will that be permanent or temporary? If temporary, some teams will have too many players on the roster and will have to cut some when the limit is lowered. It's a difficult situation, but sometimes leaving things alone is the best policy.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The whole idea sucks. Just deal with it. Sometimes life sucks. Get over it.

whys that? Not everybody has to take it. But if somebody wants the extra year, why not allow them to have it?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
whys that? Not everybody has to take it. But if somebody wants the extra year, why not allow them to have it?
Because it really is creating more issues to solve a problem that, while I agree sucks and is a tragedy, by creating more problems and more unfair situations. As pointed out, you have the issue of the incoming freshman class. You have the issue of additional scholarship costs. Who is going to cover the additional scholarships for non-revenue sports? What about programs that are already stretched financially? How about all the other current athletes? For the next four years scholarship numbers would be out of wack. It's a natural disaster. Life happens and it isnt always rosy. Just lets move on instead of trying to create more bureaucracy.

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015

Why am I not surprised you are happy with a bureaucratic solution that will make create more problems than it solves and require an even stupider bureaucratic solution to eventually fix those problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb