NCAA Playoff Expansion

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
You sure you don't mean Trask and Johnson put a better product on the field? I think we have to wait and see how much better true Mullen Ball is. I'm not expecting it to look much like the last 2 years.
I mean DM installing his offense in Year 1 with franks at QB was more entertaining than dickey's exotic "3 and out" offense.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
But the point is, football-wise, they see no need to make a change, like most of us here do. They are fine with the standard Mullen is maintaining. They want us to be known as highly competitive (relatively speaking) but not a perpetual 4-team CFP contender like the schools I mentioned above, because they think that detracts from the overall brand image they want.

I doubt their hesitancy in replacing Mullen has anything to do with the academic side of things. It has to do with the prospect of upgrading being remote. If not Mullen, today or when he was hired, who? Kelly? Franklin? Frost? It takes a lot of heat to force that change and it has to be worth it unless you’ve got an option like SOS or Meyer on hand.

Good is the enemy of great. But best available isn’t necessarily going to get you great either.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Late to the party...but a topic I posted often.

I think 8 Teams is plenty...maybe 10 if you have wild card spots.

Drop Bowls...use conference playoffs and then playoffs as Replacements

16 seems way too many.

Will they shorten the season?

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
No, actually, this is about your proposal which will lead to meaningless games nobody will watch in person or on tv.

As for opted out meaningless bowl games, you're making a straw man argument. I'm not interested in those either.

You want meaningful bowls without opt outs? We already play those in the preseason. They're great (unless you won the Fulmer Cup and have a bunch of arrests/suspensions for game one). This season we have Bama-Miami in Atlanta, Stanford-K-State in JerryWorld, and Klimpson-UGA somewhere (maybe more). Another advantage of having them in week 0 or week 1 is you can play them in northern towns too and not worry about the weather.

An expanded playoff ruins the traditional post-season Bowls. They suck right now with only the top 4 teams out. Sure, you could incorporate them into the playoffs but how many times are Bammers and Suckeyes gonna travel? Say you're a Bama fan. First you're going to the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. Then what? Travel to see Bama face Ball State or UAB in the first round? Travel again to see them play Northwestern or Indiana in the second round? Then finally travel again to play Klimpson or tOSU for the championship? How much money and how much free time do they have? That's 4 post-season games. I understand there is a labor shortage but Wal Mart and Jiffy Lube ain't paying that much.

Expand the pre-season bowls. Those games will matter. Ditch most of the post-season bowls. They are meaningless anyway. They should be true exhibitions and not count in the final rankings because of the opt-outs. That's what they used to be. Some of 'Bama's alleged championships came after getting blown out in their bowl game because bowl games didn't count.

Frankly, I'm not convinced we need more than 4 teams, but if we must expand, then I stand by the number 6. Reward 1 and 2 with a bye, reward 3 and 4 with a home game, and reward 5 and 6 with a chance. If you aren't in the top 6, you don't deserve a shot. I don't ever want to see a 3 loss national champion.

Alex.

No, actually, this isn't about something Im proposing...its about something that looks like it is going to become a reality. 12 teams. Not 8. Not 11. Not 13. 12. Im not advocating for 12 teams, Im merely living in reality of the situation. Im not saying you can't speak your mind about what you want or why you want it either. Im just saying that what I am talking about is what seems to be whats actually going on at the moment and that seems to be a 12 team playoff. So Im stating how I would like the 12 teams to be picked and why. It might not end up being 12 teams but at the moment that seems to be what it is getting momentum. So Im only saying, if it has to be 12 teams, I sure hope it is conference champions and an at large bid because if it isn't then what this playoff scenario is doing is killing the conference championship games. It sucks beating a team on the field and/or in conference standings and then having to play them again for the national championship...in my opinion. Furthermore, it really sucks thinking that it will be a strong possibility that at large teams will probably include teams that didnt even make their conf championship.

So all that other stuff your talking about..well, I dont care...because its not even remotely relevant to the point I was making that you replied to.

Now do you understand?

Last edited:

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
It does not matter who would have been selected last year because we had what we had. Going forward the 4 (or 6) at large teams will be selected by the criteria the powers decide it will be. I already explained why I do not think it makes the CCG meaningless as winning it is the only guaranteed spot in the playoff's. If it's 12 teams it also gives the top four champions a first round bye.

In 2009 UF was undefeated and ranked #1 going into the CCG against Bama. We lost! If we had 8 or 12 teams in a post season playoff in 2009 we would have rightly qualified and maybe won the whole thing. Like I said we disagree on this point.

Yeah...we do disagree on the point. Because you are wrong. When you take teams into the playoffs that didnt even qualify to play in their conference championship then winning the conference championship loses a lot of meaning. UGA and/or aTm would most likely had gotten into the playoff this year. Duh. Meaningless.

Alchemist

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2017
You guys are thinking about this all wrong. You need to consider all the extra SEC conference money it will generate that we can pump into lacrosse and getting the synchronized swimming team off the ground.

Lacrosse nattys just around the corner, yeah!

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Yeah...we do disagree on the point. Because you are wrong. When you take teams into the playoffs that didnt even qualify to play in their conference championship then winning the conference championship loses a lot of meaning. UGA and/or aTm would most likely had gotten into the playoff this year. Duh. Meaningless.
From what I heard the proposal is 3 groups of 4. The top 4 have to be conference champs (mean ND can never be in the top 4 if they don't join the ehh-she-she which is great). Since the top 4 get a buy it makes winning your conference very relevant. The middle 4 gets a home game in the first round and the bottom 4 have to play on the road.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
From what I heard the proposal is 3 groups of 4. The top 4 have to be conference champs (mean ND can never be in the top 4 if they don't join the ehh-she-she which is great). Since the top 4 get a buy it makes winning your conference very relevant. The middle 4 gets a home game in the first round and the bottom 4 have to play on the road.

lagator...Will these games be played on Campus (Great for the Schools)? I thought they were played like bowls?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
lagator...Will these games be played on Campus (Great for the Schools)? I thought they were played like bowls?

I've heard both first round will be on campuses (lower seeds the home team) or would take the place of lower bowl games (ie Outback, Citrus, Peach, etc).

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018

I dont deny that it makes it relevant to win, but it also makes it a penalty too. If somehow we made it into the playoffs last year under this system we would have been penalized for getting to our conf champ game and could have had to play UGA on the road even though we bested them in conf play. We could have been left out of it too while UGA got in. Thats the point Im making by saying its making our conf play meaningless.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I've heard both first round will be on campuses (lower seeds the home team) or would take the place of lower bowl games (ie Outback, Citrus, Peach, etc).

I'd like on campus...Most Big Bowls are in NFL Stadiums...Why give them any more Money? But I'm sure it will come down to TV and $$$.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'd like on campus...Most Big Bowls are in NFL Stadiums...Why give them any more Money? But I'm sure it will come down to TV and $$$.

That is the only reason they are talking about 12 teams, more money from networks and cities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb