NCAA Reconsidering Penn State Sanctions?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r;n150898 said:
I'm with J on this one. There were school officials that knew about this and decided to turn a blind eye to it instead of doing what's right because they knew if word got out it would negatively affect their football program. That's where the NCAA needed to make a statement, and they did. If they recall the punishments they may as well say it's ok to hide bad things from the public so those bad things don't negatively affect your recruiting. That's not acceptable.
It's pretty creepy that PSU is fighting this penalty. It makes you wonder how common this type of thing is up in that area. It's like they're saying, "it was only a few boys who got raped because of our gross and reckless negligence, it's not like players smoked weed, got a summer job, got caught driving without a license, or any of those REAL violations."

I didn't get the connection to the NCAA when this first happened and initially my reaction was that it needs to be dealt with in the justice system. But once you realize the reason these incidents were allowed to continue, you also realize that the NCAA HAS to get involved. It's not double jeopardy. You're rightfully penalizing an institution, for the actions of their members as it pertains to their athletics. That's exactly what the NCAA exists to do.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I think that when they let Sandusky have unlimited access to the Athletic buildings KNOWING that he already had issues was gross negligence by Paterno and everyone else.

Terrible.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
PastyStoole;n151327 said:
It's pretty creepy that PSU is fighting this penalty. It makes you wonder how common this type of thing is up in that area. It's like they're saying, "it was only a few boys who got raped because of our gross and reckless negligence, it's not like players smoked weed, got a summer job, got caught driving without a license, or any of those REAL violations."

I didn't get the connection to the NCAA when this first happened and initially my reaction was that it needs to be dealt with in the justice system. But once you realize the reason these incidents were allowed to continue, you also realize that the NCAA HAS to get involved. It's not double jeopardy. You're rightfully penalizing an institution, for the actions of their members as it pertains to their athletics. That's exactly what the NCAA exists to do.

I think the angle they're taking is "we've done everything you've asked us to do, and you said the punishment could/would be reduced if we met the guidelines of the punishment in a timely manner."

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n151013 said:
How was the football program not involved when the HC and former DC were?

My understanding (which might be incorrect) is that Joe turned it over to someone who had responsibility for the campus police, and he dropped the ball. So the HC was not "involved" but rather sent the problem to the appropriate individual.

No current employee or player was involved and the issue which I especially hate had nothing to do with football operations.

This was in my view (might be incorrect) extortion by the NCAA, and I have no connections to PSU in any way shape or form.

I support our local prevention of child abuse activities and hanging would be fine with me for many of them, of course our justice system does not allow that.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Penn Live Jan 14

Three former Penn State administrators suffered a big defeat Wednesday in their fight to free themselves of charges that they lied about their early knowledge of and responses to allegations of child sexual abuse by Jerry Sandusky.
In a detailed, 53-page opinion and order, Dauphin County Judge Todd Hoover methodically shot down the foundations of an attorney-client privilege argument the defendants collectively hoped would kill the prosecution's case.
With that decision in place, it now appears more likely than ever that the defendants – former Penn State President Graham Spanier, former Athletic Director Tim Curley and former senior vice president Gary Schultz – will face a trial on the Sandusky cover-up allegations.
Spanier. Curley and Schultz, meanwhile, are accused of choosing to protect the pristine Penn State brand over sexually abused kids.
"It is equally important to still hold accountable those high-ranking Penn State officials who were in charge at the relevant time... And this ruling is the springboard for that final accountability phase – not in the court of public opinion but in a court of law.
Spanier, Curley and Schultz face trial on perjury, obstruction of justice and other charges stemming from allegations that they failed to report a 2001 Sandusky locker-room assault reported to them by then-graduate assistant Mike McQueary; and that, years later, they lied to state investigators about what they were told about that case and their response to it.
The judge stated Wednesday that he will rule separately on challenges to additional charges against the former Penn State leaders of endangering the welfare of children and failing to report suspect child abuse.

Wheels of justice turn slowly, but they turn.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
My 2 cents here. I'm reading some comments saying the crime didn't benefit the athletic program. One of the crimes was not reporting the abuse. By not reporting the abuse, they avoided scandal. By avoiding scandal they went on with football as usual. The athletic program absolutely benefited by the cover up. NCAA has jurisdiction.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Exactly. There is a reason that Rape State, all the way to the very top, conspired to hide this and keep Sanduskey employed.

And it doesnt really matter if some of you think it's not football related. Any professional, civic, religious or anything else group you join has the right to kick you out if you bring dishonor.

Its hard to imagine anything more dishonerable and disgusting than Rape State's actions.

Amazin1

Finally found my way home
Jan 10, 2015
:bsflag:...fswho fans right now...booby is no longer winningest coach...again.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You can blame Emmert. He lied to PSU about getting the death penalty and the NCAA was forced to backtrack before this went to court.

ItsDookie87

...it's best to let him finish
BANNED
Sep 8, 2014
So does this mean that if Winston was found guilty they wouldn't have vacated the wins or the national championship? Or they would have vacated them and then in a few years they would have been restored? It gave Penn State a competitive advantage in the aspect that it kept the Assistant Coach of the Year and the man JoePa wanted running his defense on the sideline instead of in jail while he was doing these things. It was criminal first and foremost but that doesn't mean it didn't impact the football team.

Amazin1

Jan 10, 2015
The ncaa is a joke. why punish them at all if this is what you're going to do. Slap on the wrist for a program who's main people in charge knew this was going on and did nothing about it. they all turned their heads and allowed it to go on. that is heinous. that makes them almost as big of monsters as sandusky..they were all negligent.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well unless I am incorrect the cover up happened after he was no longer and employee of PSU. Now of course the covered it up and the law is now working to deliver the appropriate punishment. The punishment was all out of proportion to the crime. Think if it had been say actual recruiting violations would they have stripped wins? All of them?? No of course not.

Amazin1

Jan 10, 2015
it was all while he was there. he died like 2.5 months after they fired him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n152355 said:
Well unless I am incorrect the cover up happened after he was no longer and employee of PSU.
You are, as always, incorrect.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n152355 said:
Well unless I am incorrect the cover up happened after he was no longer and employee of PSU. Now of course the covered it up and the law is now working to deliver the appropriate punishment. The punishment was all out of proportion to the crime. Think if it had been say actual recruiting violations would they have stripped wins? All of them?? No of course not.

Sandusky was given some emeritus title and unbridled access to everything Penn State. He was parading kids around doing who knows what. They should have burned it to the ground.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n152485 said:
Sandusky was given some emeritus title and unbridled access to everything Penn State. He was parading kids around doing who knows what. They should have burned it to the ground.

+1,000,000

**** that ****hole.

Alvin York

Founding Member
Ultimate Gator Nemesis
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There's nothing to discuss. JoePa's wins may be reinstated but not his character, reputation and legacy. All he accomplished as head coach of Penn State has been obliterated by his inexcusable neglectful silence and inaction that exposed innocent children to a sick bastard pedophile. Thus ends the life and career of Joe Paterno. To hell with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.