NCAA Tourney Thread

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Saw bleacher report has us picked for final four. The other teams in our region are all below 150 in scoring nationally. They also picked UCLA, Michigan, and Arizona. Kansas has looked good to me though.

That being said I guess it's time for Duke to get out the apparel of whatever college football team they cheer for.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Saw bleacher report has us picked for final four. The other teams in our region are all below 150 in scoring nationally. They also picked UCLA, Michigan, and Arizona. Kansas has looked good to me though.

That being said I guess it's time for Duke to get out the apparel of whatever college football team they cheer for.

Baylor plays pretty good defense however - I think it would be a real close game.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Any of them play stingy defense we should worry about?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Any of them play stingy defense we should worry about?
It didn't really say and I honestly don't watch enough regular season anymore to know. The article said they didn't expect us to have to much trouble with our D being what it is and their struggles scoring.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Baylor plays pretty good defense however - I think it would be a real close game.

Yeah, as I showed above Baylor has a slightly better offense than UF, but not as good a defense. Now on to Wisconsin. They played 7 guys major minutes against Nova. Those players are:

Hayes: 6'8" 240 lbs, 32.3 min, 13.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 2.7 Assists, 1.7 TOs, 45.2% inside the arc, 30.2% on 3s and 59.3% on FTs
Koenig: 6'3" 190 lbs, 31.1 min, 14.5 points, 2.1 rebounds, 2.0 Assists, 1.4 TOs, 42.3% inside the arc, 39.7% on 3s and 90.2% on FTs
Showalter: 6'3" 185 lbs, 29.3 min, 8.1 points, 2.8 rebounds, 1.8 Assists, 1.1 TOs , 45.2% inside the arc, 30.2% on 3s and 59.3% on FTs
Happ: 6'10" 230 lbs, 27.7 min, 13.8 points, 9.1 rebounds, 2.8 Assists, TOs 1.8, 58.5% inside the arc, has taken no 3s and 49.4% on FTs
Brown: 6'8" 235 lbs 20.9 min, 6.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 0.9 Assists, 1.5 TOs, 51.1% inside the arc, 31.3% on 3s and 74.2% on FTs
Trice: 6'0" 178 lbs, 18.6 min, 5.8 points, 1.9 rebounds, 2.7 Assists, 1.7 TOs, 34.4% inside the arc, 42.2% on 3s and 78.9% on FTs
Iverson: 6'5" 212 lbs, 14.8 min, 3.9 points, 3.2 rebounds, 0.6 Assists, 0.9 TOs, 57.7% inside the arc, 30.8% on 3s and 56.4% on FTs

There is not really a huge height issue but bulk wise we might missed Egbunu more against them than anyone else. Keeping Happ off the boards is going to be a big issue, I think. If it is a tight game, maybe UF can wear them down with UF's depth.

88drgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014

BR seems to be the exception. CBS Sports, ESPN, etc. are pretty much picking Wisky because of their size, seniors, and recent NCAA experience/success. Also, they're continuing to use Egbunu as a talking point against picking us.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
BR seems to be the exception. CBS Sports, ESPN, etc. are pretty much picking Wisky because of their size, seniors, and recent NCAA experience/success. Also, they're continuing to use Egbunu as a talking point against picking us.

Yeah, I was really shocked at the comments after two games. Now I have watched both games. Heck if anything I think the progress shown by Gak is encouraging for UF.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like just about EVERYTHING I read is ALL about Wisconsin, Wisconsin, Wisconsin. I hope our guys are seeing all of this and us being dissed left and right. We aren't being talked about at all. Its like Wisc has already advanced

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
V
Gonna be rough banging agaist Whisky's bigs ??
Well, I think our biggest defeat-dictators can be the refs... in this particular game!

We have Keith Stone at 6'8" 240 lbs who I think has a very good shooter's touch in that he adjusts well to defenders who attempt to alter his shot. Gak at 6'11" is probly at 230lbs now and it looks like he has magnets that draw him to the rim. (I'm thinking those 2 will greatly up their production due to their own confidence plus teammate's assisting confidence in them.) Of course, we've got growing, learning, highly contributing Hayes as our experienced "big man" about 235 lbs. Hayes is a quicker jumper than most opponents. If the refs recognize that, maybe they'll call the fouls right = on the slower guys. We need to put our controlled "speed-rush" on Wisconsin & get their defense stumbling some.

{Hayes, Stone, Gak are our youth to lead us in future tourney runs.... and don't forget young Hester who hits a high % of 3s, will be getting better.} So many factors are bright for Gator Basketball, right now, and for days to come.

But right now our Vets DRob, KAllen, and Barry must "shape up" right now. They've been in this "fade-shade" the last 2-3 games and right now we are in one-loss elimination stakes. It's time those guys give some "rocket-fuel" to these youngsters who've been holding ground and these vets get us 3 -- 16 to 20 point scorers and drive everybody wild = that is Gator fans first, national TV audience next, then announcers 3rd, spundits of rancor 4th, and the bracket board prognosticators last -- getting them ready for eating at the "crow buffet".
Here come the Gators -- Oh My!

Hope my excitement & enthusiasm rains down like voodoo confetti to favor UF and jinx Wisconsin. As an at-home Rowdy Reptile I'm gonna search the net for some kind of Wisconsin recipe dish. I'll cook it and while watching the game I'll be chomping it, chomp after chomp. Go Gators, Go further. Dance with the stars upcoming.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
As I said in another thread, I see if as to win UF needs for:

1. Robinson to continue his steady play.

2. Allen to have a good shooting game.

3. Hill and Chiozza to run the Wisconsin bigs so their legs are dead the last 10 minutes of the game.

4. Gak and Rimmer to use there bulk to UF's advantage if UF needs to get more bulk into the game.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

First I've heard of anyone mentioning a lack of Egbunu. At least someone's talking about it at this point instead of focusing on who is sick or missing for the other team.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
First I've heard of anyone mentioning a lack of Egbunu. At least someone's talking about it at this point instead of focusing on who is sick or missing for the other team.

Heck all I heard even in China last week was how UF would lose to ETSU as UF was missing Egbunu, UF would lose easily to UVa because UF was missing Egbunu etc.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Heck all I heard even in China last week was how UF would lose to ETSU as UF was missing Egbunu, UF would lose easily to UVa because UF was missing Egbunu etc.

Live broadcast of the UF-UK game, all they talked about was Fox not starting and being questionable, nothing about Egbunu. Same thing in another game against someone before the end of the season - all about the personnel issues for our opponent, not our issues.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
As I said in another thread, I see if as to win UF needs for:

1. Robinson to continue his steady play.

2. Allen to have a good shooting game.

3. Hill and Chiozza to run the Wisconsin bigs so their legs are dead the last 10 minutes of the game.

4. Gak and Rimmer to use there bulk to UF's advantage if UF needs to get more bulk into the game.

It wouldn't hurt for Barry to rediscover his 3 pt range, too.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Live broadcast of the UF-UK game, all they talked about was Fox not starting and being questionable, nothing about Egbunu. Same thing in another game against someone before the end of the season - all about the personnel issues for our opponent, not our issues.

Yep, back then it was irrelevant. Now it is a reason to pick against UF each round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator