Nebraska crushed by awful Illinois; Frost throws players under bus

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The interesting thing about defense this year is that covid seems to have had a noticeable effect on everyone, not just us. I looked it up and was shocked to see that at 28 ppg we are still 58th in FBS and 7th in the SEC. That many points would have had us in the bottom half of the nation most other years, and certainly near the bottom of the SEC. No, we aren't good by any stretch of the imagination on D but you gotta grade this year on a bit of a curve.

I'm not sure why it is this way. Maybe due to lack of organized practice the offense can get together during their free time and run routes etc a lot easier than the defense can practice reacting to the ball and defending passes and tackling.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
The problem though, is that was supposed to be this year. Everything from “lucky wins” in ‘18-19 swinging back against us, losing all the WRs, Henderson, Zuniga, Perine, Grenard, etc. The prevailing thought was we would be taking a significant step back this season. We haven’t.

The defense has been bad, and was going to be bad due to scheme and personnel. But defenses across the country seem to be not as good either, so I think COVID has a role, which won’t be the case next year. My guess is we look closer to the 2007 version(scary to think that would be an improvement) where we have talent in key spots, but a ton of youth taking their lumps. I think we’re better but the lack of experience will hurt.

The one thing I do feel will help us out is that we won’t be quite as quick-strike on offense. I think we’ll be more methodical and give our young defense more time to rest, as opposed to the 3-4 play TD drives we’ve seen this year.

Bottom line, I’ve been as critical as anyone here and probably more bipolar than any has ever seen regarding Mullen. But he keeps defying what we as naysayers have said. I’ll give him credit where it’s due, and I don’t feel like we’ve peaked or are even close.

I’d still be in favor of some wholesale changes on the defensive staff.

Yes....there was much talk on here that taking a major step back in year three was a forgone conclusion. It didn’t happen. It won’t next year either IMO. The question is how much higher are able to go or is this the ceiling?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
What do you base this on? The talent pool is drying up, we will no longer be able to rely on Butters players. Mullen hasn't recruited any talent on defense since he got here.
It's a late start, but the 2019 class with G Dexter and Co was a refreshing change. I just hope every DL in that class is ready to make a major leap forward next year.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
www.firescottfrostandhiretoddgrantham.com

source.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.