“Swamp Kings” on Netflix released

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll tell you something else that kinda took me aback, and this is going to sound weird coming from a Marine, but the profanity in the program was off the richter. I guess I expect that sort of thing from street kids but hearing it coming from Meyer, the Dazzler and the other coaches was a bit surprising. I wonder if Saban cusses like those guys did.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'll tell you something else that kinda took me aback, and this is going to sound weird coming from a Marine, but the profanity in the program was off the richter. I guess I expect that sort of thing from street kids but hearing it coming from Meyer, the Dazzler and the other coaches was a bit surprising. I wonder if Saban cusses like those guys did.

I was talking with a coworker tonight at dinner - we both basically said the same thing- kinda surprising.
Mullen was potty-mouthing a bit as well.
Timmy was probably the only person on the team who didn’t

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe its just me, but anyone over 30 years old, cussing like that, sounds out of place.

It seemed like old farts trying to "relate" to the players.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I really enjoyed the series. As others have mentioned, they left out a lot of stories and a lot of players. They could have done 8 episodes and it would have been just as good, if not better.

I really enjoyed listening to Siler. I didn’t realize (or forgot) he was such a beast.

One of my favorite Siler stories was when Urban called his parents in for a meeting because Brandon had been drinking too much. His parents show up to the meeting after having spent all day drinking, gold teeth galore in their mouths, and his mom said “Myer, listen, my son came here to win a NC and go the the NFL, so if you ain’t here to do that, then you need to get out of the way!” After the meeting ended, Myer gives Siler a hug and says “you just keep doing what you’re doing. That’s the craziest set of parents I’ve ever met.” :lol::lol::lol::lol:
That was a funny story. I loved how Siler laughed about it. My take was he knew Urbs was right.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Not to derail the thread, and I'll note there are a half dozen Hernandez threads in here already, but after watching Swamp Kings we had Netflix suggesting Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez so the wife+son+me decide to check it out. 3 episode series, each a little under an hour. We only watched the first episode last night because it was late and we needed to get to bed.

HO LEE FUK what they covered in just that first hour was unbelievable. This is a documentary of sorts, but plays out like a movie where every so often they drop another shoe...then another. It was heavily focused around the arrest with a slight lean on his Patriots connection (showing so much fan support/denial) with not much on his time with the Gators. They also went back to HS days, and had interviews with his HS QB and that guy's dad....the docu also talked a lot about AH's dad and his personality, what life was like with him, etc. A lot of good background and it is written out in such a way you never get bored, and you are smacked with twists and turns based on the foundations they already laid. We'll finish it up and I'll report back, but WOW that first episode....the last 30-35min all three of us kept looking at eachother like 'no way' and 'what could they possibly share beyond that (for 2 more episodes). Based on one episode, I very much recommend it (to be adjusted after we complete the series).
'
We hear from HS QB about how they were two twins, alike in so many ways.....and then had homosexual relations?

We hear from and see his fiance in court a lot....then we see their baby....and then they lay out the connection that he killed his fiance's sister's boyfriend, and no reasoning is given.

We see how much AH's dad meant to him (instilled respect through fear, and was abusive to mom)...so being gay wasn't something AH could show at all around his dad. Also, AH was very close with a female cousin in town throughout his life. When dad dies.....his mom starts dating his cousin's husband, and that guy moves into AH's house, sleeping with mom in dad's bed.

AH doesn't take the last bit well at all, moves in with the cousin, and that's where he meets the two accomplices for the murder. Eventually cops get a warrant for that house ... and find in the garage a mothballed SUV wanted for a double homicide in Boston a year earlier.

Swear to GOD Maury Povich couldn't come up with this much crazy for three episodes, let alone one.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Well I finally got around to watching "Swamp Kings" last night. It was really much more than I expected and I expected a partial hit job on the Gators "winnning at any cost." When I saw the piece on Avery Atkins it floored me because for some reason I didn't remember the drama around him. Meyer relating the story of Atkins, I thought was profound. I've never been anti-Meyer like many on here but what a great coach he was for the Gators. Listening to the players relate how they bought into his program really showed me what a great college coach he was. People critical and of Meyer saying he only won natty's because of Tebow seemed to always forget he went to OSU and won one as well. Also Chris Leak was his starter the first natty. I'd take Meyer back in a minute. You can tell he burns inside to win. His debacle with the Jaguars seemingly trying to approach it different with massive delegation just simply did not work like it did with SOS with the Redskins. I'm not comparing Meyer and Spurrier's NFL stints I'm just saying as college coaches that were hugely successful they simply could not transfer their college model to an NFL model successfully. It seems obvious to me Meyer burned out twice at both Florida and OSU because of his intensity. In any event, it was a great series and it did show case one of my all time favorite Gators Ahmad Black. I just wish we could have him back. I'm not sold on Napier completely but I'm still open and hopeful of his success. But if he doesn't work out there is always Meyer.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
G'ville QB Club a few days ago.
5b5f76ca2823afd3eb4e88bde26b869d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.