Netflix v. Amazon Prime v. hulu (& other video streaming services)

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would like to get your thoughts and opinions about which streaming service you prefer. I've had Netflix for 8 years now and really think I'm going to add Prime as well. I've looked into some things on hulu, but not subscribed.

The Prime membership to me is really a no brainer. You get the free 2-day shipping, the TV shows, movies, music, and some other misc stuff that can make life easier, and at $99/year, it's not that expensive.

I get that there's just a major difference in original content, but if you have both, is there a big difference on what else they offer? I haven't dug into the Netflix Original content, so I won't miss out on that necessarily.

Does anyone here sub, or has previously subbed, to hulu? I'd be interested in your thoughts on what they offer.

I also use the Show Box app for movies & TV. It doesn't cost a dime, but may not be totally legal :suspect:, and can get bogged down/have it's problems. There are alternatives to it as well: http://techiosworld.com/best-free-movie-apps-android-ios/ - Crackle, MegaBox HD, viewster, etc...

Since we're all :chomp: here, I'm interested in what you have to say.

Prime - $99 per year (essentially $8.25 per month although it's billed at one time)
Netfilx - $9.99 per month for viewing on up to 2 screens simulatneously (HD quality)
hulu - $7.99 per month for a limited commercial subscription & $11.99 for commercial free

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have all three, but barely touch Hulu. My Wife is on Netflix or Amazon nightly.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have all three, but barely touch Hulu. My Wife is on Netflix or Amazon nightly.
I have Netflix and Amazon, it varies as to which one I watch the most but right now it's Netflix. I will keep Amazon if for nothing else it's 2 day shipping.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have Netflix and Amazon, it varies as to which one I watch the most but right now it's Netflix. I will keep Amazon if for nothing else it's 2 day shipping.

I didn't realize how much I would use the 2 day shipping until I got prime. All birthday and holiday shopping goes through Amazon now. I purchase a few movies digitally now so we can watch them in any room without having to do anything other than log in.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't realize how much I would use the 2 day shipping until I got prime. All birthday and holiday shopping goes through Amazon now. I purchase a few movies digitally now so we can watch them in any room without having to do anything other than log in.
At my condo in Jax, I have ordered toilet paper on Saturday afternoon and Amazon would deliver the next morning (Sunday). Lazy in my old age, Walmart and Target are less than a mile away. :)

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I have Netflix but don't use it enough to complain or boast. Though, I will admit enjoying the original content when I was able to watch.

Considered Prime, but don't buy enough online to enjoy the shipping benefits. I suspect, like when I held out for years against HD TV insisting I was ok living in the stone ages, that if I try Prime I'll like it too much to let it go....and likely buy a lot more online (like gren and the holiday/birthday shopping). So for now, I still just say no and tell myself I'm not missing out on anything.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I have Netflix but don't use it enough to complain or boast. Though, I will admit enjoying the original content when I was able to watch.

Considered Prime, but don't buy enough online to enjoy the shipping benefits. I suspect, like when I held out for years against HD TV insisting I was ok living in the stone ages, that if I try Prime I'll like it too much to let it go....and likely buy a lot more online (like gren and the holiday/birthday shopping). So for now, I still just say no and tell myself I'm not missing out on anything.

You are lying to yourself... just think of the titties

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At my condo in Jax, I have ordered toilet paper on Saturday afternoon and Amazon would deliver the next morning (Sunday). Lazy in my old age, Walmart and Target are less than a mile away. :)
This is very useful information. :thumbup:

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
My inlaws let us use their Netflix and we let them use our prime. We did the trial to Hulu and didn't renew. We don't really get in prime too often for tv, still trying to figure out the music.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My inlaws let us use their Netflix and we let them use our prime. We did the trial to Hulu and didn't renew. We don't really get in prime too often for tv, still trying to figure out the music.

RDIO was the best. Unfortunately they were bought out by Pandora. We're using Apple Music but I hate the autoplay when I start my car. They recently updated the UI so it's a bit better but it's still lousy. The price is really good for a family plan though. I don't like Spotify.

I'm waiting for Pandora to relaunch RDIO as their re-branded streaming service

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't used Pandora much the last couple of years, been using the Tune-in Radio app.

worst thing about it is stations will just disappear and no longer be available.

:what:

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Have all three Amazon prime Netflix and Hulu. I've never watched Hulu but my daughter wanted it because it had some anime. It has commercials. We primarily use Netflix and rarely Prime streaming but will keep prime because of the 2 day shipping. I find we use Amazon for stuff a lot more since getting prime.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Netflix and Amazon is all we use - hardly watch regular TV anymore.
Netflix - Walking Dead, Dare Devil, Burn Notice (three we watch regularly) and countless other series (including cartoons for the kiddo)
Amazon - House of Cards, Alpha House, Catastrophe (three that we've watched) and many others - also has options to rent or buy newer movies and shows like GOTs (unlike Netflix).

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Amazon and Netflix mostly but Roku's private channels has much to offer. I have found all six seasons of "Game of Thrones" which weren't anywhere else.

L-boy

BANNED
Oct 16, 2014
Netflix and Amazon is all we use - hardly watch regular TV anymore.
Netflix - Walking Dead, Dare Devil, Burn Notice (three we watch regularly) and countless other series (including cartoons for the kiddo)
Amazon - House of Cards, Alpha House, Catastrophe (three that we've watched) and many others - also has options to rent or buy newer movies and shows like GOTs (unlike Netflix).

House of cards is on Netflix.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
Amazon has a huge inventory of items and for items you can get locally, the prices on Amazon are often significantly better. The prime shipping lets you get the items quickly at no additional cost.

pilot-in-fla

Deplorable
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2015
I also use the Show Box app for movies & TV. It doesn't cost a dime, but may not be totally legal :suspect:, and can get bogged down/have it's problems. There are alternatives to it as well: http://techiosworld.com/best-free-movie-apps-android-ios/ - Crackle, MegaBox HD, viewster, etc...

It looks like Showbox is a torrent downloader and, to be honest, most torrents are pirated. But you can get a torrent downloader from the play store and don't run quite the risk of malware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.