New coaching staff poll and discussion thread

How would you rate the inaugural coaching staff?

• A

Votes: 36 35.3%
  • B

Votes: 58 56.9%
  • C

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • D

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • F

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The only ones that I was "meh" about were English and Knox. English has a a lot of experience but I'm not sure how motivated he'll be on the trail. I would have thought we could get someone better. Knox knows the system and maybe that is a positive. I hope he can connect and recruit here.

B+

Could move to an A for me based on what happens when they hit the road together.

I watched the Gator Bowl game and I can tell you, Knox is motivated and will do a good job here. He coached his ass off in that game - a game where the players lost their head coach and played w/ a back up QB, they could have easily gone in the tank. Credit Knox for that.

English? All I know is he was a head coach for 5 years at Eastern Michigan, getting the job at the age of 40. He didn't do well, but having a former head coach on your staff is a big deal. He's been a DC at a major program (Michigan & Louisville) as well. He's not 50 yet, so I would think he's still motivated.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
C - same grade I give Miss St.
(I don't grade on a curve, ie comparing to McYet/Zook/Muschamp)

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Not going to give them a grade until they perform. I like the amount of experience but I find it hard to believe that Mullen had 4 or 5 of the best assistants in college football at MSU to bring over. Wish he would have spread the love around a little bit more.

Buckman2000

Oct 1, 2016
I gave them a B and I’m using Meyer’s first staff as comparison. The one that dropped it for me as the LB coach. Grantham is fine by me, it was 7 yrs ago. He can atone for his sin by bringing in an aggressive defense.

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen could’ve filled his staff with coaches from the local YMCA and I’d still give him an A+.

I’m just esctatic that Butterfuch, Nuss, Nord and that pencil d!ck S&C coach are nowhere to be found.

GatorSkin

Founding Member
Nord for President 2020
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I actually like Grantham and the choke sign is a big reason why. I love that attitude and can't wait to see him punk his old team out.
If he can piss off any of our rival fans half as much as he pissed off most of you guys it's a home run.
I gave the staff a B I like most of the hires.
Hate that Seider got moved to TE and not really excited about English or Knox.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I went with a B... the staff looks like an intact unit... compare that to the likes of the worm, popcorn vendor and nussless.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think think its a solid staff full of seasoned coaches that have been around the league and should be solid recruiters. I like that he brought alot of his guys over. The familiarity should make for good cohesiveness. I gave it an A. My only question Mark is the GA we hired as a linebackers coach.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So far so good. They get a B. If they close strong on NSD and get us a top 7 class....B+. Can't give an A until we see the results on the field. Already a huge upgrade over Butters.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
I think it is a solid A. There hasn't been a chance to really 'coach' yet, so there will be a re-assessment after Spring ball. However, up to this point, I honestly don't think DM could have done a better job. I wasn't a fan of the hire initially, and I still have my reservations regarding his overall offensive scheme, and his previously predictable play calling. But from the moment he stepped off the plane chomping, he has hit the ground running with passion, focused on signing bluechip players, and hired very competent assistant coaches. Couldn't ask for anything more.

My favorite coaches so far are Hevesy and Sunseri. Those guys are legit elite coaches. I'm convinced that we'll see drastic improvement on the LOS.

I don't have a least favorite yet. I've decided to wait and see the results on the field. For next year, I just want to see a steady progression throughout the year. Seriously, when is the last time we actually saw a Gators team improve as the season progressed??? I can't remember the last time that happened. If I see it next year, I'll be ecstatic. I'm going to expect to see significant improvement in the overall program for the 2019 season. If I don't see it, I'm gonna get very concerned. But as of now, I am a happy Gator!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think the question should be how do grade the intitial hiring of the staff. All these answers of," i can't give em an A until i see it on the field" don't make sense. How the hell can you give em any grade at all in that case?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think the question should be how do grade the intitial hiring of the staff. All these answers of," i can't give em an A until i see it on the field" don't make sense. How the hell can you give em any grade at all in that case?
How can you give a grade when it's the 2nd week of the semester?

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I gave it a Solid B because, it's "B"etter than what we have. I felt like the effort and production is worthy of an A but lets see after Spring and early season games. It is a staff that does have the potential. Like the momentum thus far.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I’m trying to recall staffs during our best years under SOS & Meyer, hold them as the standard then look at today. I’ll need your help.

Spurrier was a freak Mastermind and I thought he was able to succeed despite a staff that rarely impressed. His coaching tree is pretty bare. Jim Collins, Carl Franks, Lawson Holland, Bob Pruett, Jimmy Ray Stephens, Zook. Only Stoops (here briefly) and Strong have really done much. And who was that white-haired guy from Duke that was always just behind him on the sideline?

Meyer brought in a fantastic staff that aside from Strong had almost zero SEC experience. (Drayton had 1 year at Miss St.) Mullen, Hevesy and Gonzales were all extremely successful parts of that. Mattison is one of the best DCs in football period. Addazio wasn’t a great OC but he’s a great OL coach. Heater, bug-eyed Holliday.

Mullen’s initial staff seems closer to Meyer’s than SOS’s and it needs to be because Mullen isn’t about to revolutionize anything. Grantham is a mercenary but he’s a very solid SEC DC. I didn’t like his choke sign either but not that big a deal to me.

Charley Pell had a hell of a staff, BTW. Shanahan, Kines, Andrews...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Pruett was pretty damn successful. Probably second only to Stoops off the SOS tree.

Im also not sure if Stoops is SOS tree or Snyder tree. He spent a lot more years w Bill Snyder.

As for Daz vs Hevesy, one guy has produced great OLs at every stop and the other is a bald idiot. The line suffered almost as soon as Hevesy left (w Mullen).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.