New Coaching Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So does McElwain bring the CSU offensive coordinator with him or change horses? If Durkin is retained, is he the logical choice to take over the defense and maintain continuity?

Obviously some very important decisions to be made that will go a long way toward determining how quickly McElwain gets out of the gate. Remember Muschamp's choice of Weis four years ago and how it impacted the result.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm hoping for continuity on defense. Durkin, TRob, Lawing have already schemed against SEC offenses and know everyone's tendencies. Coach Mac is going to have his hands full installing a brand new offense, not having to install a brand new defense will really reduce the chaos and workload in practices. Also, Durkin and TRob certainly keep us in the game with recruiting.

backstop13

Behind Enemy Lines
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
I would think that the OC is just a title anyway, the same way the DC under Muschamp was just a figurehead. We all know who was running the defense. I'd imagine McElwain's going to be running the show on offense.

BoomTown

Founding Member
Mc's Red Headed Stepchild
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Wonder if Coach Mc and Kirby get along better than Kirby and Satan?... Hey it's the season of dreams, right?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
BoomTown;n124827 said:
Wonder if Coach Mc and Kirby get along better than Kirby and Satan?... Hey it's the season of dreams, right?

I wish I could like this post twice.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
BoomTown;n124827 said:
Does anybody really know if Kirby is any good?

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
I've heard Doug Nussmeier's name mentioned. He's another ex-Alabama OC who is now at Michigan. He also has a Fresno State connection like Jimbo.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Someone said they heard Billy Napier (Bama WR coach) may come to Florida as OC.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It could be several days before McElwain decides on who stays and who leaves. I'm sure he'll want to have extensive meetings with all the coaches first to make sure they will be a good fit for what he wants to do. He may have a DC in mind, but retaining Durkin and a few others on that side of the ball is likely. I'm curious as to who he retains on offense. I think Summers is the best coach and White is the best recruiter on offense, so they are the most likely to stay. Dillman will likely be retained as well. I don't think Leak should remain the WRs coach, but I do hope that they find a role for him.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
GatorJB;n124875 said:
It could be several days before McElwain decides on who stays and who leaves. I'm sure he'll want to have extensive meetings with all the coaches first to make sure they will be a good fit for what he wants to do. He may have a DC in mind, but retaining Durkin and a few others on that side of the ball is likely. I'm curious as to who he retains on offense. I think Summers is the best coach and White is the best recruiter on offense, so they are the most likely to stay. Dillman will likely be retained as well. I don't think Leak should remain the WRs coach, but I do hope that they find a role for him.
I agree about Summers.

I'm indifferent about White. He hasn't exactly churned out 1,000 yard backs. It also seems like every year we're screaming for a different guy to be running the ball but he's loyal to someone else. No way Jones should have gotten the bulk of the carries this year.

I hope Dillman goes. I've never seen so many injured players since he's been S & C coach. It also doesn't look good to have a fat slob telling everyone else how to get in shape.

Leak can stay as a GA or other coordinator type role. But I agree he probably doesn't need to be WR's coach right now. He needs a little more seasoning.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n124875 said:

He is a good recruiter, but he is more of a California recruiter. I'd rather have a better coach and let TRob grab us some S. Florida kids

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I am very much hoping he keeps the defensive guys and I agree that I would like to see Leak retained, but not necessarily as WR coach.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I guessed Nussmeir a few days ago.

Florida: If Jim McElwain does not bring offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Dave Baldwin to Florida from Colorado State, two coaches McElwain could target for his OC are Alabama wide receivers coach Billy Napier and Michigan offensive coordinator / quarterbacks coach Doug Nussmeier. Napier followed McElwain from Alabama to CSU as quarterbacks / assistant head coach in 2012, while Nussmeier replaced McElwain at Alabama in 2012 and spent two seasons there. Baldwin will coach CSU in its bowl game.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n124899 said:
I agree about Summers.

I'm indifferent about White. He hasn't exactly churned out 1,000 yard backs. It also seems like every year we're screaming for a different guy to be running the ball but he's loyal to someone else. No way Jones should have gotten the bulk of the carries this year.

I hope Dillman goes. I've never seen so many injured players since he's been S & C coach. It also doesn't look good to have a fat slob telling everyone else how to get in shape.

Leak can stay as a GA or other coordinator type role. But I agree he probably doesn't need to be WR's coach right now. He needs a little more seasoning.

I don't really have an opinion on if Dillman should stay or go. I just think that he'll stay out of convenience. The injuries weren't a problem this year, so that isn't a concern of mine.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Thinking about it if his current OC stays there or takes another position it wouldn't surprise me to see Roper stay on since its McElwain's offense anyway and Foley owes him that 600K or whatever it is.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n124935 said:
Thinking about it if his current OC stays there or takes another position it wouldn't surprise me to see Roper stay on since its McElwain's offense anyway and Foley owes him that 600K or whatever it is.

It would surprise me. When McElwain comes in, he'll notice the smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator