Status
Not open for further replies.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Same guy says he's told if things don't turn around the hc will be gone and the new DC or OC will likely get the job.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n128112 said:
@ThomasGoldkamp: Per @joshnewberg247, #Gators DB coach Travaris Robinson has emerged as lead candidate for USF DC job (VIP) - http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/UF...idate-33684691

:bananaburn:

If Robinson takes a promotion to DC at another school, I actually think that hurts our recruiting way less than if he were to leave for a lateral move at another school. Recruits and players understand when a coach moves to better his own situation.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Seems like USF is more interested in getting/stealing some recruits. Otherwise, why wouldn't they hire a proven DC from a smaller school?

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorTAG;n128146 said:
Seems like USF is more interested in getting/stealing some recruits. Otherwise, why wouldn't they hire a proven DC from a smaller school?

There aren't that many schools smaller than USF.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n125048 said:
Just saying you see it happen sometimes and he would run McElwain's offense just like McElwain ran what Saban wanted.

But you would be ok, with another year of the same playcalling?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n125181 said:
Roper ran a pass heavy prostyle at UT and Ole Piss. He could do Big Mac's offense, or more than likely be the QB coach and OC in name only. Just keeping the lingo similar would help a bunch.

That being said, I doubt it. The new coach should mostly bring his own staff except for a couple who will ensure recruiting transition.

Ran a pass heaving pro set while Running backs coach or GA when at Tennesse? And much like Spurrier letting his Shawn Elliot be the playcaller in USCe, do you think that Roper was the playcaller at Ole Miss or Duke over Cutcliffe who ran that pass heavy proset in Tennesse? We don't really know who Roper is yet. His next job will be telling.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n128150 said:
Ran a pass heaving pro set while Running backs coach or GA when at Tennesse? And much like Spurrier letting his Shawn Elliot be the playcaller in USCe, do you think that Roper was the playcaller at Ole Miss or Duke over Cutcliffe who ran that pass heavy proset in Tennesse? We don't really know who Roper is yet. His next job will be telling.

He called the plays at Duke - very few head coaches call their own plays anymore - it was down to just a handful in FBS. I am sure they insist on certain plays sometimes however.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n128155 said:
He called the plays at Duke - very few head coaches call their own plays anymore - it was down to just a handful in FBS. I am sure they insist on certain plays sometimes however.

What proof do we have he called his own plays other than the Head Coach saying what was politically correct for him to say for a guy who has been loyal to him for over a decade. The playcalling at Duke hasn't changed that much with Roper's absence. It's an assumption at this point, and until he takes his next job it is all it is.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n128156 said:
What proof do we have he called his own plays other than the Head Coach saying what was politically correct for him to say for a guy who has been loyal to him for over a decade. The playcalling at Duke hasn't changed that much with Roper's absence. It's an assumption at this point, and until he takes his next job it is all it is.

They had an article talking about it and Roper was even asked after he was hired if he called the plays at Duke. Even Peterson doesn't call his own plays. The article claimed it was very few. I cant even remember the few names now.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n128157 said:
They had an article talking about it and Roper was even asked after he was hired if he called the plays at Duke. Even Peterson doesn't call his own plays. The article claimed it was very few. I cant even remember the few names now.

So an article and Roper saying that he did call plays. It's well known that Peterson doesn't call plays, hence why they were running Harsin's offense, I don't know how the two things are equal. And I agree few people run their own offenses or defenses. But certain offensive minds like to make it their own. Being Roper shared Offense Coordinator with Scottie Montgomery in his final year at Duke. So who was the offensive mind at Duke, Cutcliffe or the dual headed offensive coordinator? Who was setting up game plans? Who made the calls that really needed to be made? We really don't know anything about Roper, other than he has followed Cutcliffe through 99% of his career and $hit the bed here. Admitting to calling bad games against teams, and putting players in bad position to succeed in multiple games.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am okay with Roper staying. An Offensive Coordinator runs the scheme the he and the Head Coach agree on. I think Roper had trouble implementing Muschamp's demands into his vision of what the offense could do. There really is no other explanation for not re-running successful plays, not throwing mid-range passes very often, not developing a pass catching tight end, etc. If Mac and Roper have a meeting of the minds on philosophy, Roper will be free to make it happen with the blessing of the Head Coach. He never got close to that with Muschamp. As a professional courtesy, Roper bit his tongue is my guess...

Oh...and pay T-Rob...we do not need to lose him...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n128159 said:
So an article and Roper saying that he did call plays. It's well known that Peterson doesn't call plays, hence why they were running Harsin's offense, I don't know how the two things are equal. And I agree few people run their own offenses or defenses. But certain offensive minds like to make it their own. Being Roper shared Offense Coordinator with Scottie Montgomery in his final year at Duke. So who was the offensive mind at Duke, Cutcliffe or the dual headed offensive coordinator? Who was setting up game plans? Who made the calls that really needed to be made? We really don't know anything about Roper, other than he has followed Cutcliffe through 99% of his career and $hit the bed here. Admitting to calling bad games against teams, and putting players in bad position to succeed in multiple games.

Roper did fine calling plays prior to coming here under Muschamp.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I want JM to have his vision. I really don't think anyone from the last four years should be retained. Start from scratch and wash it clean. Our class won't be saved or damned by an assistant or two. JM will pull some rabbits out of the hat or he won't.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n128365 said:
Even our defense?

That defense gave up a record 641 yards to Bama. Wash the stench off please.

WORST in school history.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n128470 said:
That defense gave up a record 641 yards to Bama. Wash the stench off please.

WORST in school history.

And that same defense gave Jameis Winston the worst game of his career BY FAR.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I don't care if we keep some position coaches, but we need a new OC and DC. Durkin can stay as a positional coach if he wants. Roper has too much of the Muschamp stench on him to retain. He gambled taking a job with a hot-seat coach and lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb