New DC’s salary

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
So our new DC, the 14 year old kid we lured from a Louisiana directional school, is making $1.2m per year average salary. This puts him amongst the highest is the SEC and up there nationwide. I swear I can’t figure it sometimes. We hire “up & comets” but pay them like they’re already established, best-in-class coaches.

If you’re going to spend top dollar, get a top dollar coach. If you’re going bargain basement then pay bargain basement prices. What you don’t do is buy a BOGO deal but tell the cashier “hey, I know this is buy one get one free but charge me full price for both”. It makes no sense.

Discuss.

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
View attachment 56874
Actual footage of Armstrong hearing OP’s opinion

woo-nature-boy.gif

abefroman

Sausage King
Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2019
This. Let capitalism advance or fail on great and poor decisions. This one is good.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Ppl wanted a more aggressive DC, we got one and now the money that it took to pry him away from Saban is an issue?

Oh right. He was an inside linebackers coach for Saban, for like 9 days, 3 hours & 28 minutes, making about $175k annually, so we need to give him a $1m per year raise and the keys to the defensive kingdom. I totally see your point now.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
And if he became the next big thing at Bama you guys would be crying Why didnt Billy bring him to UF when he had the chance?

Not my money, no cap that Im aware of. If he's good, we hit the jackpot, if he sucks he'll be fired. Better than bringing in a new guy with a completely new scheme for the already young defense to start back at square one all over again.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
And if he became the next big thing at Bama you guys would be crying Why didnt Billy bring him to UF when he had the chance?

Well, you’re making my point for me. Instead of paying big bucks to hire a proven commodity that’s shown his worth elsewhere, we pay big bucks (the kind of money those proven guys I referenced get) to a guy who has ONE year experience as a DC and a total of THREE years as a position coach in D1-A football.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
So, youre just going to gloss over the whole "he runs the same scheme" part of my post?

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Better than bringing in a new guy with a completely new scheme for the already young defense to start back at square one all over again.

-------------------
This

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No, I just don’t see the logic in making an unknown coach with little to no experience and track record as a coordinator one of the highest paid at his role. It’s fcvking stupid.

I’ll say this. Nothing I’ve seen to this point tells me Napier is a bad judge of talent. I hated Toney but have also watched a combination of spring drills this year where the disparity of talent between his guys and the last’s is glaring, and a bunch of players that have bailed to considerable step down programs. Even he is likely better than he appeared. My point though is when BN has made a decisive decision in personnel, it’s likely been the right move(QB possibly the exception). We’ll have to see if this guy warrants that kind of money, but he is extremely well thought of and has apparently been great with the players so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator