New NFL penalties for domestic violence

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a good thing. There should essentially be zero tolerance and this is close to a zero tolerance policy. It's the right response after the joke of a penalty that went to Ray Rice.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am not sure - they literally arrest guys for anything on that if a call is made to the police. I have seen some women abuse that where I am at and the cop will arrest every time just based on her word even if she has no mark on her or anything. If it is solely based on arrest only and not anymore looking into it it may not be right in certain circumstances.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n36831 said:
I am not sure - they literally arrest guys for anything on that if a call is made to the police. I have seen some women abuse that where I am at and the cop will arrest every time just based on her word even if she has no mark on her or anything. If it is solely based on arrest only and not anymore looking into it it may not be right in certain circumstances.

Is that you GatorNation561?

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
GF, I'm pretty sure that's why they get a 6 game suspension first time. After that, you should figure out how not to be around crazy.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n36831 said:

I'm sure they would properly vet any situation involving a domestic violence complaint.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n36831 said:

They would have to wait until the judical process was complete, especially with the severity of the punishments.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure where this leaves Rapist Winston when he enters the NFL because the rule, which also mentions acts occurring prior to entering the NFL, does not address rape, the use of rohypnol to bag a girl, etc.:

A six-game suspension would come without pay and the length of the penalty could increase in cases where an employee was involved in a prior incident before joining the NFL, or violence involving a weapon, choking, repeated striking, or when the act is committed against a pregnant woman or in the presence of a child.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n36872 said:
They would have to wait until the judical process was complete, especially with the severity of the punishments.

Well one problem with that is most states can't make a domestic violence victim testify so 90% of the cases get dropped (In Florida anyway) because they make up and she refuses to testify. I guess the NFL would still go forward if the cop took pictures showing obvious injuries in those cases or if there was video evidence.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
James Harrison would miss less games by beating a woman than he would hitting an opponent high

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Well one problem with that is most states can't make a domestic violence victim testify so 90% of the cases get dropped (In Florida anyway) because they make up and she refuses to testify. I guess the NFL would still go forward if the cop took pictures showing obvious injuries in those cases or if there was video evidence.
The problem would be possible litigation by the player and his agent. Penalizing and taking away his lively hood for being charged of a crime, but not found guilty. It's a slippery slope. Without a conviction with these penalities it would be easy to take to court. Which is why I think it will be rare for us to actually see this penality used.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Hasn't the NFL been doing that quite a bit lately but I am not sure how far someone has challenged it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Not to the extent this is. This would be a mandated punishment, not punishment where you go into Goddell's office for a talk and walk out with your penality. This would be you did this automatic 6 games. Now to your second point challenged, there is some grounds for the Browns wide reciever Gordon to challenge his drug penality and that could change the game as well if he does.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Like the move but he needs to change the drug suspension policy...
Need to completely remove cannabis. It's legal in too many states now to be considered an illegal substance imo.

GatorGrad

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What is the penalty if the woman is asking for it!! Maybe a bonus I say...

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

The whole "what if they aren't charged?" argument doesn't work here. Ray Rice wasn't charged, but there was video evidence that he struck his future wife and knocked her unconscious. Just because he struck a deal to avoid prosecution doesn't mean he shouldn't be punished by his employer for what he did.

You can be punished/suspended/fired from your job for a myriad of reasons, none of them have to involve being charged with a crime. You know that when you sign your contract. It's not illegal for a cashier at a grocery store to tell a customer to **** off, but they would get fired if they did it.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
-THE DUDE- said:
Like the move but he needs to change the drug suspension policy...
Employers don't have to abide by what's only illegal on the state/federal level when establishing behavior standards. If they don't want their employees smoking pot, the employees have to abide by those rules if they want to be employed. It's like the example I used above. A cashier has every legal right to tell a customer to f*ck off, but it would most certainly be against company policy and they would be fired if they did it.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:

Sasquatch, though you are correct on some portion and you can indeed be fired from the normal job for a variety of reasons. But as the contracts and paychecks get higher there is more room for litigations. Comparing an NFL contract to a low level cashiers contract is completely different. The legal recourse in the NFL contract is much more binding than the cashier's contract. This is where this issue is a slippery slope due to the ambiguity of most of the cases.

The Ray Rice situation is the exception not the rule in these cases. Video evidence with him also verbally admitting it. What percentage of these types of cases, have that much evidence?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.