New shot clock (with a poll)

Looks like college basketball will undergo a semi-radical change next year as a 30 second shot clock

• Keep the 35 second shot clock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 second shot clock is a good idea

• 28 second shot clock would be even better

• Both NBA and NCAA should have 24 second shot clock

• The shot clock should last as long as it takes someone to eat a "Ham Sammich"

• Total voters

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Looks like college basketball will undergo a semi-radical change next year as a 30 second shot clock was approved. So I am wondering how positive of an impact this decision will have on college basketball. Will teams run plays more efficiently, or will "star" players hog the ball and fire off shots before the shot clock expires? I think 30 seconds is a good compromise, and I hope to watch more games where both teams run up and down the floor and score in the 70s.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
30 is good. 35 is too much and sometimes 24 feels way too fast. It's a good transition and good call

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
If they want to see more scoring and less defense, then I say screw it and let's go to a 15 second shot clock.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
35 seconds was way too long. I like 30 as a nice adjustment. I imagine they will get down to 24 eventually, but I am glad they aren't doing it in 1 step.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
QueenCityGator;n232135 said:
Looks like college basketball will undergo a semi-radical change next year as a 30 second shot clock was approved. So I am wondering how positive of an impact this decision will have on college basketball. Will teams run plays more efficiently, or will "star" players hog the ball and fire off shots before the shot clock expires? I think 30 seconds is a good compromise, and I hope to watch more games where both teams run up and down the floor and score in the 70s.

Name and town if you wish to opine.

I like it and what each team will do depends on what their coaches want. If I am the coach and you hog the ball which I don't want you to do the bench is the answer. You probably will see everyone bringing the ball up more quickly and perhaps some trapping to change the game as well.

VulcanAlex Jackson Tn.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ham sammich should be the clear cut winner here, conspiracy i say.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The change to 30 seconds is fine. I am not sure it will accomplish the desired outcome but it won't hurt.

It is all relative to me, I remember when there was no shot clock and that moron Dean Smith et. al. would kill a game via the four corners so any clock works for me.

Now let's talk about expanding the lane and actually calling three seconds occasionally if you really want to solve the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.