Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If you keep up with it, and you can complain about the data you have found, haven't we all really already won?

Probably, transfer players do not have improved careers. It's predictive data worth knowing whether they are departing UF or arriving. I sure was glad for the arrivals of Barry and Egor.

GatorMan5K

Gatorologist
Lifetime Member
Oct 9, 2014
But i have to say, weather it be football or basketball, the largest majority depends on the player's skill set. Look at Grimes, dude is a beast for us. But he was already a beast, just not for us. Same thing has happened in bball.
So i guess in my opinion, do they get better? Meh, maybe marginally. Can they get worse. Yes, especially under butters.
Dont think ive seen White make anyone worse yet, but then again i looked away this season cause i couldnt stand the slow play we played.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Keep tabs ... in coming years how much does Chance Johnson shine, does Keith Stone shine? It's neutral data on how well is your CEO's leadership getting best results wanted.
Should more effort be made to keep players from leaving their first-choice school?
Almost all transfers do better at their new destination. They are a year older, another year of experience, and are leaving a situation they weren't happy with usually relating to playing time, getting along with coaches and other players, etc. They pick a location to transfer to where they know they will get a fresh start and more PT.

So, know it won't mean White sucks when these transfers are more productive at their new schools.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Keep tabs ... in coming years how much does Chance Johnson shine, does Keith Stone shine? It's neutral data on how well is your CEO's leadership getting best results wanted.
Should more effort be made to keep players from leaving their first-choice school?

It will be interesting to keep tabs on. There results of course have to be looked at in contest to how UF is doing at the same time in the future. I see several general possibilities:

A. C.Johnson, Stone, Ballard and Okauru all become starters and a couple become double digit scorers at their new programs a of which couple make the NCAA tourney, but UF makes a final four or better run and White appears to have made the correct decision despite the success of the transfers and really no one but maybe you and me even notices what the transfers did.

B. C.Johnson, Stone, Ballard and Okauru all become starters and a couple become double digit scorers at their new programs a couple of which make the NCAA tourney and UF scrapes into the NCAA tourney and wins one game ala this year and it seems like this was just a wash and maybe a few more notice.

C. C.Johnson, Stone, Ballard and Okauru all become starters and a couple become double digit scorers at their new programs a couple of which make the NCAA tourney and go on runs to the second weekend and UF scrapes into the NCAA tourney and wins one game ala this year and more people notice and White is questioned.

D. A couple of C.Johnson, Stone, Ballard and Okauru become starters and maybe one becomes double digit scorers at their new programs one of which make the NCAA tourney and whether UF bombs and does not earn a bid and there is much discussion of the transfers.

etc.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Almost all transfers do better at their new destination. They are a year older, another year of experience, and are leaving a situation they weren't happy with usually relating to playing time, getting along with coaches and other players, etc. They pick a location to transfer to where they know they will get a fresh start and more PT.

So, know it won't mean White sucks when these transfers are more productive at their new schools.

I would not say almost all. The Donovan years transfers had indifferent results. Some do as you said get into a better situation, but some just due to talent or change in body style or high school injury just are not able to be college players. For every Mario Boggan there is a Rashid Al-Kaleem.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Putting down the coach for guys that left the Gators and did well has no usefulness. It's best at giving the staff a gauge at how persuasive they should try to get good ones to stay ... or not. I don't recall any mistakes being made, but the process played out should contribute to a coach's education.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Grad transfer to UM, Comment as you desire.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Grad transfer to UM, Comment as you desire.

You have me on ignore :lol: but here goes anyway:
Unless we play those lUsers I wish Keith Stone the best. We got better without him after he got hurt (thanks KJ!). He was good in spots, but a zombie the rest of the time. He also opened the door for Blacksheer to transfer in.
:bart:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
In all of the nfl draft stuff, an article on Scottie Lewis in "The Athletic" was overlooked. I missed it because I'm not used to them writing about gator basketball. It is a long article and a sub is required. So, I'll post the highlights.

At a Hoop Summit practice that is closed to everyone but media, coaches and players, Team USA begins an intra-squad scrimmage and five-star prospect Scottie Lewis takes the floor. As Lewis, a likely one-and-done wing headed to Florida in the fall, rushes back down the floor on defense, he gets caught in a switch where he’s forced to guard forward Jeremiah Robinson-Earl. At 6-foot-9, 235 pounds, Robinson is four inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than the slender wing. But Lewis is nothing if not feisty and competitive. He holds up nicely due to his aggressiveness and forces a tough hook shot that rims out. Despite contact that was imperceptible from a court-side position 20 feet away, Lewis gets called for a foul and Team USA coach Scott Fitch stops practice to emphasize a point: every time his guards see a mismatch on the block, he wants them to throw an entry pass to the posting big man.

Lewis knows the coach is just emphasizing a point about how he wants the offense to run. But that doesn’t stop him from flashing his megawatt smile, and looking directly at Fitch and giving his own thoughts. “Ain’t no mismatches here, coach,” Lewis says. Fitch re-emphasizes his point, as coaches do. And in the friendliest, yet most confident way possible, Lewis again states, “Ain’t no mismatches here.” One of his teammates even looks at Lewis and says “that isn’t a mismatch?” Lewis, in a serious but calm, says two words.

“HELL NO.”

It’s just another episode in the on-court experience of the 2019 recruiting class’s most interesting prospect.

To play basketball against Scottie Lewis is to endure a constant barrage of verbal energy.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
If you have a sub, I highly recommend reading the article.

The 6-foot-5 wing is known for high-flying dunks and gravity-defying explosiveness — a game that he’ll self-describe as “very electric.” But he’s also maybe the best perimeter defender in this class, a mix of quick-twitch athleticism paired with a ridiculous plus-seven wingspan. On-ball, he’s a menace who wants to pester opponents and take on tough assignments. Off-ball, he reads actions well and creates action plays. But it all goes back to mentality on that end. Whereas most guys focus on deriving offensive value, Lewis thinks the opposite way.

“Every time I’m on the court, everyone is in attack mode. Everyone who is here (at McDonald’s All-American) is in attack mode,” Lewis said. “But I think I’m more in attack mode on defense. You’re supposed to be a prolific scorer, or if you’re supposed to be the best big man, I want to guard all five spots. I want to show that my defensive mindset, and my defensive technique, and my defensive footwork that I’ve gained over the years will slow you down. If you’re a guy who averages 30, you might get 12 points on me because I’m going to be that guy.

For Lewis, Florida was the best mix of everything, including what he calls “the love factor.” They’d been recruiting him longer than nearly any other school, even prior to White’s tenure in Gainesville. Once the Gators started taking care of other business on the recruiting trail, Lewis’ decision fell into place.

“When Tre Mann got into the mix, when they signed Omar (Payne), and then my best friend Alex Klatsky got into the mix, it was just a no-brainer for me,” Lewis said. “It was a hard decision between Florida and Kentucky, but when it came down to the wire it was about who stuck with me the longest. Florida was that school.”

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
You have me on ignore :lol: but here goes anyway:
Unless we play those lUsers I wish Keith Stone the best. We got better without him after he got hurt (thanks KJ!). He was good in spots, but a zombie the rest of the time. He also opened the door for Blacksheer to transfer in.
:bart:
You? On Ignore?

EasyAllGrayling-size_restricted.gif

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
This is the year White has been pointing too, particularly if Nembhard returns as expected. Extra time to mesh this year is probably a good thing what with all the young/new players coming into the program.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Jason Jitoboh climbed a few spots to 236th and he’s one of the toughest players in the class to evaluate due to the fact there aren’t many players similar to him in the 6’11”, 270-pound range. It’s clear he has some supporters who think he’s going to be able to physically dominate but there are also lots of scouts who simply don’t think a hulking presence like that is relevant in today’s game. The ranking seems about right to me for what he’s done in high school but his ceiling could be quite high, but his floor could also be quite low.

I think he has a ton of upside. He is under ranked due to those ball hogs he plays with. His PG and SG are where the ball goes to die, black holes of death. He needs to get his weight under control and White has to actually use him which I have little hope of.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
UF is one of three SEC schools playing out of the country this summer (no destination announced for UF yet):

Please, let them play in "the land of the tall".-- attract some Eastern European, African brutes. We need bothering hands on high.

Think how fun to watch enhanced speed & rattling due to depth and influx of enthusiastic youngsters.?
Do not teach them slow, White. Also, continue harping on upping each FT %. Practice giving the passed-ball speed. once you've decided the throw. Make it naturall for them to have longer fingers with surer grab & grip. In practices, pit Jitoboh vs Stokes to greatly improve both. Make those teammates enjoy outdoing each other in 'gatorhood' fashion - spectator teammates cheering them on. Each day anew, have White do pick-up choosing on who cheers for whom. That way, they saturate themselves with non-clique whole-team camaraderie. Go unrelenting Gators !

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So ... another season away, when it is most needed right away?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.