Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So let me see if I understand this right. Our inability to score or set up a chance to score is a function of the limited ability we have on the court at any given moment, and yet White gets a (here comes the pun) pass for that, too.

Would that be accurate?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So let me see if I understand this right. Our inability to score or set up a chance to score is a function of the limited ability we have on the court at any given moment, and yet White gets a (here comes the pun) pass for that, too.

Would that be accurate?
FancyGiganticLaughingthrush-small.gif

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Jay Wright and Nova crapped the bed last night. Worst loss by a defending National Champ. We might be able to get him cheap unless he goes to the NBA. If not then we still might be able to hone in on Brad Stevens if the Celtics flame out again in the playoffs. Gotta keep our options open and not go bargain bin shopping again.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
There are several H.S. guys that are 6'10" and taller who seem open to recruit to improve our future.
All that I've heard about for 2019 is 3 recruits ... do we have room for others? (no more little guys)

@rogdochar back in 05 we lost our top 3 scorers, Lee, Roberson, and Walsh and our returning top scorer was Corey Brewer at 7.5 points a game so we had no prospects for scoring coming back like next year. Entering into the 05-06 season we were ranked as high as 70th to begin the season. We all know how that season played out. Not saying this team is going to win the NC but the roster is not as doom and gloom as we may think. We are loaded next season and our offense will be much better. I say we win 24 games or so and 12 in the SEC. How many do you think we win? Or will we have a Vandy/UGA type year with all the SEC teams jumping over us and we end up next to last place in the SEC at 2-16?

We had HC Donovan not coach White. { I liked White until I watched him just sit like a "no-ideas" lump on the sideline.?? Until I saw that his template neglected inside shots. We dawdled around the arc for 2/3rds the season & then got better when we looked more to feed it inside & to drive = but we weren't "trained" to do that?} Most important in 2006, we had a 5-tall strong teammate-inspiring template = Noah, Horford, Richard, Moss, Speight, etc. And Brewer's wingspan was said to equal a 7 footer. That is 6 reliable "talls" allowing for that inside game of 65% accuracy-type shots and more rebounds than opponents, and more altered or blocked shots.

Without a "tallness-depth", UF will be disadvantaged to the teams we face. Whatever the reasons are that 8 or 9 or more SEC teams have many more "talls" than UF, White/Pinkin has to change that. If White can't get hyper-dynamic during games, what's his degree of dynamism-pushing during practices?

The incoming new guys sound like they're bringing their own "ready-made" dynamism -- hope so.
6'8", 245 lb Stone should not have been allowed to devise his own playing template as a 10-12 foot jump-shot man?
Get the whole team bugging Stokes to be the best inside man a 6'8", 255 lb can be. Because that's crucial, not optional. For 3/4th the season, 6'9" Bassett was allowed to play doodling in no-man's land, sorta inward? Isn't teaching, pushing, developing guys to fulfill team needs, activating each player's potential = the essence of head coaching?

The "UF template" has deficits that diminish winnings. The worth of the program's HC is to correct team deficits, program deficits. Since it remains to be seen, keep a critical eye on what White can do for UF. It's needed

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Obviously everyone knows the incoming freshmen we have coming in, but what about grad transfers? I’m thinking Ballard, Okauru, and possibly one of Gak/Bassett transfer out leaving us with 3 open spots.

Now, maybe I’m wrong and all stay, but in this day and age I highly doubt it. Anybody have their ear to the ground so to say, regarding potential grad transfers (particularly for the 4/5 spots)?

PG - Nembhard/Mann
SG- Locke/Lewis
SF - Johnson/Stone
PF- Bassett/Payne
C- Gak/Stokes

Thoughts?
PG: Nembhard/Mann
SG: Mann/Locke/Lewis
SF: Lewis/Keyontae/recruit or transfer 1/Ballard or Okauru (Whoever is left if either are)
PF: Keyontae/Transfer 2/Stone
C: Stokes/Payne/Transfer 2/Gak/Bassett

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Would that be accurate?

'78, should we give him a pass or a bounce? :cool:

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Would that be accurate?

Yes to the first and absolutely not to the 2nd.

Coach is responsible for the recruitment of said players. If he wants to play aggressive (which his history would suggest) then he must find the talent to do so. Sure he has had some setbacks with injuries but it still falls on him to field a team with the appropriate balance. Hayes is a 4 playing 5, Stone is a 3 playing 4, Allen is a 2 in a 1’s body, KJ is a 3 playing 4.

White has taken a huge step with this next class. More talented and far better fits. Chemistry is so important in basketball and we just didn’t have the right pieces. Next year looks like a big step forward in getting the right guys on the bus. Back to back stellar classes will put us in contention for a NC.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
But I had the same thoughts as everyone else....we run clock on nearly every possession.

Turns out not to be true. What really becomes clear is how many times we get the shot we want....chip shots in the paint or open 3’s and miss them.

For those arguing we secretly do run anything other than a slow down pace, check out Kenpom’s adjusted tempo ratings. We are the 344th slowest offense in all of college basketball (out of 353). No, our eyes are NOT deceiving us (or Barkley who was yelling at halftime that this pace is destined to lose and that you have to try to score more often).

The offense everyone keeps pointing to as one of Donovan’s worst at Florida was still only 266th.

Florida was lower in the very good 2014 season, though the overall offensive efficiency was top 20, with a top 3 defense.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
For those arguing we secretly do run anything other than a slow down pace, check out Kenpom’s adjusted tempo ratings. We are the 344th slowest offense in all of college basketball (out of 353). No, our eyes are NOT deceiving us (or Barkley who was yelling at halftime that this pace is destined to lose and that you have to try to score more often).

The offense everyone keeps pointing to as one of Donovan’s worst at Florida was still only 266th.

Florida was lower in the very good 2014 season, though the overall offensive efficiency was top 20, with a top 3 defense.

I’ve never argued otherwise. In fact, I thought it was much worse than it is. I’ve only argued the why.

Nobody likes slow ball.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
What concerns me is White took two pretty good young players (Allen, Hudson) and they seem to get worst with time. At least with those two it seems they were never developed to their potential.
Another concern is his sideline demeanor, hell fire get in a refs face sometime, throw a cup of gator aid on the crowd , show some damn emotion. His players play with the same attitude , like Oh well maybe we'll win the next one.
Now as far as next year goes, all you can do is hope White has better players and Coaches better.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yes to the first and absolutely not to the 2nd.

Coach is responsible for the recruitment of said players. If he wants to play aggressive (which his history would suggest) then he must find the talent to do so. Sure he has had some setbacks with injuries but it still falls on him to field a team with the appropriate balance. Hayes is a 4 playing 5, Stone is a 3 playing 4, Allen is a 2 in a 1’s body, KJ is a 3 playing 4.

White has taken a huge step with this next class. More talented and far better fits. Chemistry is so important in basketball and we just didn’t have the right pieces. Next year looks like a big step forward in getting the right guys on the bus. Back to back stellar classes will put us in contention for a NC.
You're going to have to excuse me for thinking this all sounds like so much kick the can. And next season, when the new components don't mesh, the call will be that we're young, give it more time.

Good coaches find a way to make the best use of their hand. I'm not seeing it here.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
You're going to have to excuse me for thinking this all sounds like so much kick the can. And next season, when the new components don't mesh, the call will be that we're young, give it more time.

Good coaches find a way to make the best use of their hand. I'm not seeing it here.

That’s my argument too. He had to play the hand that he had. Several here wanted him to take these non ballhandling catch and shoot streaky jump shooters and scream up and down the court with their hair on fire as if he were Paul Westhead or the showtime Lakers.

It’s on him to get the right players on the bus. If he does you will see an entirely different offensive philosophy.

KronoGator

Aug 28, 2014
Speaking of Stone, is he gone already? hasn't been seen since he got hurt, even Gak hangs around to cheer the team on.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Speaking of Stone, is he gone already? hasn't been seen since he got hurt, even Gak hangs around to cheer the team on.

He’s out until mid season next year from what I hear.

It would not totally surprise me if he actually left. Sit out next year (going to be out most of it anyway) and then play somewhere else.

Stone came in with Kevarious and Kavaughn and they have become inseparable friends over the past 4 years. Without them he could leave imo. He’s from Deerfield and would be a nice pickup for FAU or FIU. Possibly a much better fit there anyway. He’s got some size but is not a leaper. He’s also much more like Allen tempermently. Not a vocal leader like Hayes. He’s never going to be the 3 that he should be at Florida.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That’s my argument too. He had to play the hand that he had. Several here wanted him to take these non ballhandling catch and shoot streaky jump shooters and scream up and down the court with their hair on fire as if he were Paul Westhead or the showtime Lakers.

It’s on him to get the right players on the bus. If he does you will see an entirely different offensive philosophy.
My friend, you're moving the goalposts by acknowledging in your previous post that his own recruiting is his own doing. The buck needs to stop somewhere.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
My friend, you're moving the goalposts in spite of acknowledging in your previous post that his own recruiting is his own doing. The buck needs to stop somewhere.

You’re confusing two things. I’ve always acknowledged recruiting and injuries leading to this lineup. However, once acknowledged it would have been stupid to play hair on fire Basketball that everyone is clamoring for. It would have been far more disastrous and would have detracted greatly from our strength....defense.

To me nothing could be more obvious and I despise slow ball.

But yes the buck should stop with him if he can’t turn over the lineup, transform the offense and consistently get to the elite 8 and beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.