Gator Basketball Next year’s basketball roster: Mike White lands #1 Graduate Transfer Kerry Blackshear

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You’re confusing two things. I’ve always acknowledged recruiting and injuries leading to this lineup. However, once acknowledged it would have been stupid to play hair on fire Basketball that everyone is clamoring for. It would have been far more disastrous and would have detracted greatly from our strength....defense.

To me nothing could be more obvious and I despise slow ball.

But yes the buck should stop with him if he can’t turn over the lineup, transform the offense and consistently get to the elite 8 and beyond.
Thoughts on a more uptempo defense? If you can't do squat scoring wise, part and parcel your own piss poor recruiting, why not allow your defense to create transition opportunities? You've got nothing to lose, right?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Thoughts on a more uptempo defense? If you can't do squat scoring wise, part and parcel your own piss poor recruiting, why not allow your defense to create transition opportunities? You've got nothing to lose, right?

I would have liked to have seen more pressure. I think we could have had more success there. But we also sucked in transition....the ball had to get to Andrew as nobody else could handle the rock. We also were poor finishers going to the rack. Btw, Andrews inclination is not to push in transition. That will need to be addressed next season.

But a selective approach to pressure may have been successful. 40 minutes of hell would hurt us more than helped but if we picked a few more spots...who knows? Especially the frequent droughts would have been a good time to use some pressure.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Game reset. So we lacked big people, we lacked shooters, we lacked ballhandlers AND we lacked finishers. What's left to phuck up?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're in a rebuild with a questionable rebuilder.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Game reset. So we lacked big people, we lacked shooters, we lacked ballhandlers AND we lacked finishers. What's left to phuck up?

If I didn't know any better, I'd say we're in a rebuild with a questionable rebuilder.
Ahhh, but it’s not Coach White’s fault. He’s the best.

Just wait till next year. :rolleyes3:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ahhh, but it’s not Coach White’s fault. He’s the best.

Just wait till next year. :rolleyes3:
Sounds to me like it's a double down on the incoming class. Those are big stakes.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

We do have 3 young freshman who played significant minutes and at times played impressively. They will be joined by 3 more freshmen next year. Just those 6 include an inside scoring threat and defender (Payne), a couple solid ball handlers (Mann and Nembhard), a couple of shooters (Locke and Mann), a slasher and defender (Lewis) and a dynamic player who can score and rebound ( KJ). Pick up a grad transfer with size and get more out of any combination of Ballard/stone/Bassett/Okauru and I think you could say the rebuild is already progressing.

I think that too many do not believe the talent level of the 6 youngins is very impressive. I think it is.

Final piece is more length. Need a strong 2020 class and we’ll have talent, depth and continuity.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We do have 3 young freshman who played significant minutes and at times played impressively. They will be joined by 3 more freshmen next year. Just those 6 include an inside scoring threat and defender (Payne), a couple solid ball handlers (Mann and Nembhard), a couple of shooters (Locke and Mann), a slasher and defender (Lewis) and a dynamic player who can score and rebound ( KJ). Pick up a grad transfer with size and get more out of any combination of Ballard/stone/Bassett/Okauru and I think you could say the rebuild is already progressing.

I think that too many do not believe the talent level of the 6 youngins is very impressive. I think it is.

Final piece is more length. Need a strong 2020 class and we’ll have talent, depth and continuity.
Why are we in a position to acknowledge we had limited talent in 2018-19 and that we're essentially starting over in 2019-20? Am I being overly harsh?

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
We're returning as leading scorers KJ at 10ppg, Nembhard at 8ppg.
8 SEC teams have higher ppg averages than UF. All have at least twice the # of talls coming back.
Not being fatalistic, just expressing urgency towards a major shakeup needed.
The other SEC teams are opening gaps on UF and they're racing ahead while UF lags further behind.
We were 8th in the SEC ... 9-9. Those 8 teams should be as good next year, while teams 9,10,11 may leapfrog us.
It's possible we're being scuttled and White lives to "slow bail".
Maybe our guys will grow? Git that Will Grier special sauce from the GNC.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Nope. Nembhard is one of the best ball handlers in the league, hands down.
Nope. Noah Locke is in the top five, three-point shooting in the league. He's money.
Stokes is coming along. Basset is serviceable. We need more size, surely..
But what we really need is finishers. Clutch players to score at the crucial moments in the game.
Dudes who want the ball in their hands. Next year, My Gators, We Chomp!
Haters are chum, chump.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nope. Nembhard is one of the best ball handlers in the league, hands down.
Nope. Noah Locke is in the top five, three-point shooting in the league. He's money.
Stokes is coming along. Basset is serviceable. We need more size, surely..
But what we really need is finishers. Clutch players to score at the crucial moments in the game.
Dudes who want the ball in their hands. Next year, My Gators, We Chomp!
Haters are chum, chump.
Nembhard had four turnovers yesterday and Locke was 2-7 from three-point land. Anything else you'd like to add?

Wingtee

Mar 11, 2018
Obviously everyone knows the incoming freshmen we have coming in, but what about grad transfers? I’m thinking Ballard, Okauru, and possibly one of Gak/Bassett transfer out leaving us with 3 open spots.

Now, maybe I’m wrong and all stay, but in this day and age I highly doubt it. Anybody have their ear to the ground so to say, regarding potential grad transfers (particularly for the 4/5 spots)?

PG - Nembhard/Mann
SG- Locke/Lewis
SF - Johnson/Stone
PF- Bassett/Payne
C- Gak/Stokes

Thoughts?
Think u hit it

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Nembhard had four turnovers yesterday and Locke was 2-7 from three-point land. Anything else you'd like to add?
Are you implying nembhard is a bad pg and Locke can't shoot based on one game?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Locke needs surgery on his groin and has been injured for months. Before the injury he was shooting 45% for 3 and hitting 4-7 a game and was our leading scorer a bunch

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Are you implying nembhard is a bad pg and Locke can't shoot based on one game?
Would you rather gauge performance against Charleston Southern or North Florida? Nembhard laid an egg yesterday and Locke's a 37% shooter this year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Would you rather gauge performance against Charleston Southern or North Floroda? Nembhard laid an egg yesterday and Locke's a 37% shooter this year.
I wouldn't gauge it on one game at all, dude. We have some holes in our roster for sure but nembhard and Locke are quality players.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
These discussions are somewhat odd. Even through all the frustrations I have not heard anyone disparage Nembhards ability until today. He had 4 turnovers (2 back to back) yesterday and certainly not a stellar performance but just as certainly not a high turnover PG. I think he had a real solid season. Actually needs to be more aggressive scoring rather than pure pass first. But this kid is solid and cerebral. His passing skills are as good as any in the SEC.

Locke is a legitimate shooter. Best on the team and was doing great until getting hurt. Again heard little to no criticism until he got banged up. He needs to work on his ballhandling and become more than a one dimensional spot up shooter. But he should thrive in the lineup mix coming in with inside scoring and a legit slasher.

I’ll go on record and say both these guys were assets this year and will be again nextt year.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Basketball recruiting is stifling. Gotta wheel and deal with AAU "ambulance chasers"?
Can become friendly with a kid (if you spot one) about June 15th his sophomore season.??
Seems once a school gets a commit for a position they shut down recruiting that position. Then later on yhat kid can change his mind and go elsewhere and you've ignored several other players at that position during that passage of time.?? Those guys are going elsewhere.

What's the # of players we can bring in for 2019-2020? I know that we've got 3 good ones coming -- any more?

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Billy Donovan managed to go 36-3 with this roster of non-who's who's:

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 4.43.28 AM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays