Next year's QB competition

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Something about "million posts" triggered a part of the Asperger's Vulcan brain, think Bucky to Winter Soldier, to post like a fire hydrant with the cap broken off.

I think you're best to just let it flow. I doubt there is any stopping it.

tenor.gif

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I think you're wrong on this assessment w/ Franks. The biggest reason the offense moved the ball so well after Missouri is Mullen finally let Franks run. He didn't look like a natural all the time, but he picked up big chunks of yards on plays he would have been forced to hand off earlier in the year. IMO, this is why the offense looked so much better post-Missouri blowout loss. If Franks continues to run like he did and improves his completion percentage it'll be hard for him to lose the job - unless he has a total meltdown game. EJ needs to add weight plain and simple. If he comes in at 200 or less he'll be injured within a game or two of SEC play. I do agree w/ Law that JJ will redshirt (hopefully he gets in his 4 games though).
Hopefully our experts (and I am not being facetious; I am very ignorant to a lot of the intricacies that many of you know intimately) will forgive this if it's stupid question, but outside of the QB designed runs, aren't most of the QB runs in CDM's offense based on the QB's read? I thought FF's running improved when he started reading the DE better as well as him finally realizing that at his size faking guys in the open field or trying to leap over them is not going to happen, and his best bet is to try trucking them or going OOB. I know in the Peach Bowl he gave the ball to one of the RBs when he should have kept it (with the back getting crushed of course) and immediately after the play he looked over at the bench while pointing at his own chest and nodding as if to say I read that wrong and should have run with it.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hopefully our experts (and I am not being facetious; I am very ignorant to a lot of the intricacies that many of you know intimately) will forgive this if it's stupid question, but outside of the QB designed runs, aren't most of the QB runs in CDM's offense based on the QB's read? I thought FF's running improved when he started reading the DE better as well as him finally realizing that at his size faking guys in the open field or trying to leap over them is not going to happen, and his best bet is to try trucking them or going OOB. I know in the Peach Bowl he gave the ball to one of the RBs when he should have kept it (with the back getting crushed of course) and immediately after the play he looked over at the bench while pointing at his own chest and nodding as if to say I read that wrong and should have run with it.

Yes and no (and I'm no "expert" - although I was the 3rd string QB on my HS JV team (true story!)). - On the "designed runs" early in the season - imo - Franks was told to absolutely hand the ball off. He did often where he could have gained 5 or more yards (more than the RB he handed it to). I'm not sure if it was Mullen's lack of confidence in Franks or what. But after the Missouri debacle/blow out, Franks started keeping the ball on many of those read-options - where he would 100% hand it off earlier in the season. ltraz is right that EJ and JJ are completely different runners, but they too would run the read-option and have to decide to keep or hand it off. Franks proved he could run and the offense looked significantly better.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Players want to play.
He had exactly zero other scholarship offers last time after sitting on the bench for four years in high school.

What makes anyone think he has more options now that he has sat on a bench for seven years?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

But it would be for only say one year, so I bet his options are limited unless he wants to move down. I hope he stays, but support him if he wants to play.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What is truly of interest, to be reported on:
1) Franks is improving by leaps & bounds.
2) EJ is doing fine ... or EJ is gaining on Franks.
So, both are hitting WRs very well, almost as well as Jalen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: yeah, sure. The demand has been incredible. Every team even mighty Central Fl, the destination of all transfer quarterbacks, has been chomping at the bit to get a chance at Trash.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

Good point especially about Ga Tech. I had not thought of that.

ChiefGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
What is truly of interest, to be reported on:
1) Franks is improving by leaps & bounds.
2) EJ is doing fine ... or EJ is gaining on Franks.
So, both are hitting WRs very well, almost as well as Jalen.

That would mean someone would have to find and report on player (QB) run activities. I always wonder why either the Sun or the student paper can't do this.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
SEC DC's have a full season of film of the improved form of the mental midget. If he starts, he will be benched by game five when he shows his true ability.

EJ or bust, or else we are 7-5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.