Gator Basketball Next year's recruiting class ready to bring Gator Hoops back

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Will Sammon's latest piece at The Athletic ($$$) talks to Scottie Lewis about next year's class bringing the Gators (and especially their offense) back.

“I know the fans are wanting some change,” Lewis said, “and we’re ready to come in and bring that change.”

Florida's star-studded recruiting class is ready to bring...
(Subscription required)

Sammon goes on to point out that the incoming Gator class (currently 7th) is a big difference than the 18th or 20th best class.

This is why Mike White is not going anywhere this season. He is going to get to see this class in the door and see what results on the court.

Discuss.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It won't let me read it unless I sign up. Great class coming in. Hopefully we can find another big man or 2 via transfer or recruiting. It will be a much different team with 3 seniors leaving and possibly 2 transfers leaving too. We will see how it all shakes out. Go Gators!!

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am so happy to hear that next year’s class plans to restore a program that White destroyed. Maybe he can maintain it this time

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hope that these guys can cause White to be a good coach next year. We'll need "right-away" minutes from Payne.
If whatever is wrong with Stokes had better be fixed next year. As "talls" we've got Stone?, Payne, Gak?, Stokes, Bassett, ?? Do we have any incoming "talls" besides Payne?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
White has not proven to be a very good coach. Not by any stretch. But he’s not going anywhere for a year and he should get a chance to coach this class he is bringing in next year. If next year flops, then he can be ousted.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I love Will Sammon's work. He is why I bought a sub to "The Athletic." However, I think this is a bit of a pumper article in a time when things are slowing down.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I love Will Sammon's work. He is why I bought a sub to "The Athletic." However, I think this is a bit of a pumper article in a time when things are slowing down.

Agree -- but since it is really formed around an interview with Lewis, with comments from White, there is almost no other path that can go except the Pumper Way.

That said, you do want your elite recruits feeling this way: The incoming class is a tight one. On their collective official visit, they were shown highlights of past Florida stars. Joakim Noah. Corey Brewer. Al Horford. The Class of 2019 then all committed around the same time. Lewis knows the program’s history; he’s ready to recite the success from 2006 and 2007, the Final Fours and the runner-up finish in 2000. The class talks about bringing back that lore, those packed crowds. For a program experiencing the kind of ho-hum season Florida is, it’s the kind of hope fans can cling to over the next few months.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Bring back Gator hoops? The problem isn’t the players, it’s the Head Coach. Why would anyone believe anything different?

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Will Sammon's latest piece at The Athletic ($$$) talks to Scottie Lewis about next year's class bringing the Gators (and especially their offense) back.

“I know the fans are wanting some change,” Lewis said, “and we’re ready to come in and bring that change.”

Sammon goes on to point out that the incoming Gator class (currently 7th) is a big difference than the 18th or 20th best class.

This is why Mike White is not going anywhere this season. He is going to get to see this class in the door and see what results on the court.

Discuss.
I cant read it

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought highly of White until observing what he keeps trotting onto the court this year. Our style of basketball looks uncoached. Players have no excitement that comes from expecting to win. Then that time on TV with the miked huddle when White's advice to keep our dwindling lead was "shoot, shoot, shoot!". Then he publicly lay blame on his players and admitted publicly "I've tried everything. I don't know what to do." Those occurrences may show just the tip of the iceberg of coaching collapse?

I think White disappoints me as much as Stokes does.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
DM me and I'll give you my login....

Lee, what's your take on White? Is he going to make it here?
White has shown a large improvement in recruiting once he began to establish relationships on the recruiting circle. The class we have coming in rivals any top program in the country and imo is better than UK and Duke currently. We have an open scholarship with Chase Johnson having transferred and potentially 1-3 more after the season. If we can get a grad transfer big and/or 1 of the remaining top big men we have a shot of having a top 5 or top 3 roster based on talent next season....in the country. If White can not develop a top 10 team next year, I highly doubt he will last here unless he changes his offensive philosphy. The dribble drive he "wants" to run requires top end talent and athleticism. He will have that plus some next year. It's time to see results. 2019-2020 will be the defining year for White.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I thought highly of White until observing what he keeps trotting onto the court this year. Our style of basketball looks uncoached. Players have no excitement that comes from expecting to win. Then that time on TV with the miked huddle when White's advice to keep our dwindling lead was "shoot, shoot, shoot!". Then he publicly lay blame on his players and admitted publicly "I've tried everything. I don't know what to do." Those occurrences may show just the tip of the iceberg of coaching collapse?

I think White disappoints me as much as Stokes does.
Couple of thoughts.

1. White complains the players don't get mad after a loss...I wonder if White has and more importantly has he shown that anger and passion to the team. Break a clipboard throw a basketball....yell...something to fire them up

2. If Stokes isn't 250 lbs by next season he will just be a body imo. His offensive potential is large, but he needs to get serious and lose the weight

Last edited:

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Bring back Gator hoops? The problem isn’t the players, it’s the Head Coach. Why would anyone believe anything different?

Unfortunately, Stricklin will not deal with this problem for at least another year.
I honestly hope that White turns the program back around to where it was before he arrived but I am not sure he has the capability.
For the life of me, I cannot understand why Fooley felt that he needed to pursue a "training wheels" coach for a speed racer program.......

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Couple of thoughts.

1. White complains the players don't get mad after a loss...I wonder if White has and more importantly has he show that anger and passion to the team. Break a clipboard throw a basketball....yell...something to fire them up I agree 100%. I have been screaming for three years now for a coach with some passion. The refs respond to passion and the players respond to passion. Unfortunately, White comes from a family of Athletic Directors and that is his demeanor.

2. If Stokes isn't 250 lbs by next season he will just be a body imo. His offensive potential is large, but he needs to get serious and lose the weight Tell Stokes to "fish or cut bait." Either get into real playing shape or find another place to waste a scholarship. You think Tennessee regrets not signing him two years ago? I think not.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014

(Subscription required)

Discuss.
This is an awesome article. One of the best about Florida basketball I have seen in awhile. It is a bit of an optimist slant, but it encompasses a lot of what i believe next season can bring. Biggest takeaway is the attitude from the incoming freshman. They want to play for the name on the front of the jersey and bring excitement back to Gator basketball. They have swagger and are not afraid of showing it

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I still think the Stokes problem goes deeper than xs weight or "out of shape"? It is mysterious??
Stokes had preseason practices 4 weeks, then 14 weeks of season practices plus 23 games. All that running, all with his friends and teammates influencing him in the right direction. Surely a team nutritionist controls and guides what players eat. What HC would fail to put Stokes right? So Stokes is the first player in Gator basketball history to have uncontrollable weight problems and the problem of staying out of shape? Tell me you don't think those 'terms' sound ridiculous?

White is in charge of the properly called Gator Basketball Program and I'm sure Program involves a nutritionist applying scientific "tried & true" player-specific diets, portion controls etc. White has directed 4+ months of practices and drills and natural peer pressure. How can a player be around that and not shape up? Something is wrong with a Coach and his program if he cannot fix the flaws in it or in certain players. Can't pay millions $ and not demand accountability.

I too celebrate the 'bestest" players coming in next year. But I want a coach that brings the best out of all players and that includes the prior year's players to help these new guys next season. Freshmen should be integrated into an established team framework. It is not a good coach that thinks his new players are gonna make him a better HC.
Just watch and conclude the rest of this season. Watch and conclude next year too.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I hope they work out but that center probably needs a year to bulk up and the highest rated one Lewis its hard to say. Not 100% sold Lewis is just going to come in and light it up the first year. Mann looks like a player that will be pretty good for sure right off the bat however. Maybe combined with this year's freshmen it will be a pretty good team.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I hope they work out but that center probably needs a year to bulk up and the highest rated one Lewis its hard to say. Not 100% sold Lewis is just going to come in and light it up the first year. Mann looks like a player that will be pretty good for sure right off the bat however. Maybe combined with this year's freshmen it will be a pretty good team.
Lewis is projected to be a top 4 draft pick in 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator