NFL Cowboys, 'Stand for Anthem or you're off the team'

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am glad my favorite NFL team is doing this. Now all those crazed lefties from Austin, TX can stay home instead of attending Cowboy games if they think the players should be allowed to tick off most US Flag loving patriotic fans.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
What if your religion forbids it (Jehovah's Witness, for example)? Is he going to discriminate based on religion? As much as I oppose the "stance" and statement that guys like Kapernick (sp?) were making, I don't see this going well for Jerry.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What if your religion forbids it (Jehovah's Witness, for example)? Is he going to discriminate based on religion? As much as I oppose the "stance" and statement that guys like Kapernick (sp?) were making, I don't see this going well for Jerry.

I would just tell them you still have to stand there and do nothing disrespectful as its part of the official game activities that players have to take part in.

This is a business and employees shouldn't be allowed to bring very bad publicity that can hurt your brand if the owner doesn't purposely allow that conduct. Go do your protest away from the stadium while not in uniform or something.

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member

Standing there....
His team, his rules

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My brother and sister in law are Jehovah Witness. When they come to the baseball games with us, they stand for the anthem. They don't salute or anything. But they are respectful of the people there.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Its called a free market, and free enterprise. You are free to do as you please as an individual, and the company you work for is free to do as it pleases regarding you and your choice of behaviors. My employer has a dress code, my other has not just that but a code of standards punishable by the ucmj. I am of course free to show up in shorts and flops, and they are in turn free to punish and or remove me from my position.

Freedom of choice does not mean freedom from consequences and one person's freedom does not get to negate or undermine another's.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I haven't liked anything about the Cowboys since Emmitt left, but I do like this a lot. I hope more teams follow suit.

Mgnihilo

Founding Member
South Carolina Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@DurtySwamp. That's the best response I've ever heard or read on this argument. Our society today says that it's all about me and what I want. Even parents today are afraid to punish their kids because of what might be said or done to them. We have somehow forgotten that even though we do have Freedom of choice, there still can and should be consequences for some of those choices that we make.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
@DurtySwamp. That's the best response I've ever heard or read on this argument. Our society today says that it's all about me and what I want. Even parents today are afraid to punish their kids because of what might be said or done to them. We have somehow forgotten that even though we do have Freedom of choice, there still can and should be consequences for some of those choices that we make.
Bingo hilo... but don't worry. No matter what society tries to do, there are ALWAYS consequences for every decision and action. This is universal no matter how bad snowflakes want to pretend otherwise.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
This is possibly fake news. I can't find it anywhere else and usually something like this is huge news. He was reported as saying this about 6 months ago and it turned out to be false.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
What religion prohibits you from standing for the national anthem?

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015

I've never heard of one, but if an employee can prove it exists and he follows that religion, he would not be required to stand.

You can't prohibit employment if his religion does not permit activities which are not germane to his job functions.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know how accurate the initial article is, being it is based on a tweet mentioned July 28th 2017. But the Snopes article is based on something that happened after the first game of last season. I do not think the two are related. The tweet might be part of the reference to the Cowboys picking Luke McCown over Kapernick this past weekend as a 3rd quarterback. Which coaches said was due to coachability.

Chomper

Lifetime Member
Aug 5, 2014
Totally agree with Jones on this. Every employer has the right to set workplace rules as long as they are equally applied. And if you don't like the rules, find a job elsewhere. And contrary to common belief, this is not a First Amendment issue. The Bill of Rights was created to provide protection from government intrusion, not from company rules. Some things are just common sense but unfortunately there seems to be a shortage of that these days,

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member

I didn't do a ton of research. I grew up with a JW kid that lived on my street, and he said he didn't do pledge of allegiance or stand for the anthem because it was considered worshipping a false idol. It appears that isn't a strict rule according to someone here that knows.

I wasn't taking sides, I was just offering up a scenario and asking a question. Apparently that's worthy of a dislike, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.