NIL discussion: Saban accuses A&M of buying every recruit; Jimbo RIPS Saban in response

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It's unfortunate he apologized.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
A&M will have 4 losses AGAIN because their head coach sucks.
Even if Jimbo wasn't a TPOS, he'd still be a step ahead of the Mullens on the SEC merry-go-round and two full steps behind the Sabans, Bryants, Spurriers and Meyers types who reshaped and redefined the SEC in the modern era. It irks the schytt out of me that we seem to lose to this carnival geek wherever we've faced him. TBH, I probably despise this slime bag even more than I despise the player-buying, recruit-lying-to, QB development-bungling, low-potential / achiever cretin in dwagville.

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Well here you go. Either do what A&M is doing or forget about ever winning anything ever again.

Not that I don’t agree with the concept, but I’ll bet you $1643 oxbux that Dumbo doesn’t win shyt with this class. Not now and not three years from now.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Not that I don’t agree with the concept, but I’ll bet you $1643 oxbux that Dumbo doesn’t win shyt with this class. Not now and not three years from now.
One wonders how much patience those wealthy boosters will have if their shelling out all those bucks don't produce a title by then.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Granted. But the point isn't Dumbo.
The point is what it will take if we want to be competitive.
We aren't going to out-evaluate or out-organize or out-coach ourselves into any championships.
Talent wins championships. And in 15, 16, 17 week seasons that talent needs to be 2-3 players deep.
Talent costs $$$$. Spend it or wallow in mediocrity forever.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Granted. But the point isn't Dumbo.
The point is what it will take if we want to be competitive.
We aren't going to out-evaluate or out-organize or out-coach ourselves into any championships.
Talent wins championships. And in 15, 16, 17 week seasons that talent needs to be 2-3 players deep.
Talent costs $$$$. Spend it or wallow in mediocrity forever.
Or give up on the whole mess and stop supporting d-leage crap under the guise of student athletics.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Or give up on the whole mess and stop supporting d-leage crap under the guise of student athletics.

A couple of years ago this comment would have been labeled as far fetched but now it is beginning to feel like a viable alternative.

Although I am hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel, at this point college football has never been less attractive in my 60+ years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

Good luck with that.
Before the decade is out CFB will be forced to share TV money with athletes.
The other conferences will not be able to compete with SEC salaries.
The ACC is locked into a TV contract that requires an expensive buyout. But once that ends (or when the buyout gets affordable) Clemson, Miami and FSU will bolt for the SEC "league". OSU and Michigan will have no choice but to follow. Any team not in the super conference will be irrelevant.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
However these speculations turn out, if aTm wins the CFB playoffs, what will the national celebration be like.? How proud will the aTm fans be.?
How confidently will Aggie fans boast.? Would they be favored to repeat with added great player purchases the next year.?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin says that there will be no NIL deals to entice recruits to sign. NIL deals will only be for current players.

Also - He said that the NIL deals that are being thrown around are all BS. They’re not nearly for that much. It’s a marketing campaign by agents to drive up NIL value demand.

“Stricklin calls BS on NIL impact, gives BHG Stadium updates, and other tidbits'”

AD Stricklin calls BS on NIL impact, gives BHG Stadium updates, and other tidbits

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Stricklin says that there will be no NIL deals to entice recruits to sign. NIL deals will only be for current players.

Also - He said that the NIL deals that are being thrown around are all BS. They’re not nearly for that much. It’s a marketing campaign by agents to drive up NIL value demand.

“Stricklin calls BS on NIL impact, gives BHG Stadium updates, and other tidbits'”

AD Stricklin calls BS on NIL impact, gives BHG Stadium updates, and other tidbits

But I call BS on Stricklin...there will be plenty of back deals...play for us and you and your mom will be taken care of. Now it's allowed.

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I don't like the idea of reducing seating capacity to 65K.

I don't think it will get below 75. It will be up to the Nation...they sell out and the seats will be there.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I don't like the idea of reducing seating capacity to 65K.

That not what he said in the podcast, what he said is that the infrastructure around the stadium is meant to support about 65k seating and that is the challenge of doing upgrades to the stadium to create a more enjoyable fan experience. He didn't say the goal was to reduce seating to 65k.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
- Many states are creating NIL laws that allow the schools to be directly involved with NIL deals. Florida is not one of them. He thinks this is an advantage to UF because he thinks there will be Title IX issues that stem out of schools creating NIL relationships.
What title ix problems? NIL by it's nature, has zero to do with a University.

- Things the conference competition is really about to heat up. SEC vs Big 10. Thinks these will continue to distance themselves from other conferences and thinks the SEC is going to continue to grow.
It's pretty much a given that this is heading towards a huge SEC vs the also-rans.

- Says he overvalued the schematic, X and O component with coaching hires in the past.

About time. It's 80% talent acquisition and 20% don't be a moron.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
- Many states are creating NIL laws that allow the schools to be directly involved with NIL deals. Florida is not one of them. He thinks this is an advantage to UF because he thinks there will be Title IX issues that stem out of schools creating NIL relationships.
What title ix problems? NIL by it's nature, has zero to do with a University.

- Things the conference competition is really about to heat up. SEC vs Big 10. Thinks these will continue to distance themselves from other conferences and thinks the SEC is going to continue to grow.
It's pretty much a given that this is heading towards a huge SEC vs the also-rans.

- Says he overvalued the schematic, X and O component with coaching hires in the past.

About time. It's 80% talent acquisition and 20% don't be a moron.
In regards to Title IX, in my layman understanding, if Universities are involved in directing funds to athletes, then they will need to be in compliance with Title IX which basically says universities receiving federal funds have to provide "equal access" to education and educational experience. So if University X tells booster A to pay althete C so much money, the University by injecting themselves in the process which now makes it a University educational experience and then they have to provide the same opportunity to female "student" athletes. If they don't, then they are potentially exposed to lawsuits, etc around Title IX compliance. That's why in the podcast he was talking about its a matter of time till someone files a suit against Universities that might do this.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
However these speculations turn out, if aTm wins the CFB playoffs, what will the national celebration be like.? How proud will the aTm fans be.?
How confidently will Aggie fans boast.? Would they be favored to repeat with added great player purchases the next year.?

They will celebrate just as hard as Yankees fans do every time they spend $250+ million to buy a World Series championship.
College athletics has been somewhat like this already but now it will be nearly identical to all the worst parts of professional sports

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
In regards to Title IX, in my layman understanding, if Universities are involved in directing funds to athletes, then they will need to be in compliance with Title IX which basically says universities receiving federal funds have to provide "equal access" to education and educational experience. So if University X tells booster A to pay althete C so much money, the University by injecting themselves in the process which now makes it a University educational experience and then they have to provide the same opportunity to female "student" athletes. If they don't, then they are potentially exposed to lawsuits, etc around Title IX compliance. That's why in the podcast he was talking about its a matter of time till someone files a suit against Universities that might do this.
University X isn't allowed to tell booster A to pay anybody. Legally "boosters" can't give players money directly for any reason. Legally University X is not involved. Just like they aren't involved in what an athlete gets paid if he works for McDonalds. Getting paid by NIL is no different than getting paid by McDonalds. There's no University control over that.
Worst case scenario is that if Universities are required (by Title IX) to equally distribute TV revenue to every athlete then that's what they'll do. But because of the lucrative TV contract the SEC will have still have more money to distribute than any other conference.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
University X isn't allowed to tell booster A to pay anybody. Legally "boosters" can't give players money directly for any reason. Legally University X is not involved. Just like they aren't involved in what an athlete gets paid if he works for McDonalds. Getting paid by NIL is no different than getting paid by McDonalds. There's no University control over that.
Worst case scenario is that if Universities are required (by Title IX) to equally distribute TV revenue to every athlete then that's what they'll do. But because of the lucrative TV contract the SEC will have still have more money to distribute than any other conference.

You asked why Strickland thought there was a potential Title IX issue. The scenario Strickland described in the podcast was TAM coaching staff was telling the collective organization, which athletes they were targeting and then the collective went off and did their thing. So ya this could be construed as agents of the University X directing payments to athletes. This is what he was referring as a potential Title IX issue since the staff was directly telling which athletes they wanted. And then the potential cascading effects of running afoul of Title IX

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
You asked why Strickland thought there was a potential Title IX issue. The scenario Strickland described in the podcast was TAM coaching staff was telling the collective organization, which athletes they were targeting and then the collective went off and did their thing. So ya this could be construed as agents of the University X directing payments to athletes. This is what he was referring as a potential Title IX issue since the staff was directly telling which athletes they wanted. And then the potential cascading effects of running afoul of Title IX
Honestly that's such a lame excuse to avoid getting serious. Who any d1 legit contender is targeting is well freaking known. Hell, we know most everything about every potential that this staff is targeting and were a bunch of dumbasses on a message board. If this is the crackerjack oversight and ingenuity we can expect from Stricklin, then he should just pack his bags now.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Pay for play is against the rules regardless of what Title IX has to say about it. Me thinks Stricky is using that as an excuse. Title IX has nothing to do with NIL because NIL is not administered by the University. It's like blaming Putin for high gas prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.