NIL discussion: Saban accuses A&M of buying every recruit; Jimbo RIPS Saban in response

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Pay for play is against the rules regardless of what Title IX has to say about it. Me thinks Stricky is using that as an excuse. Title IX has nothing to do with NIL because NIL is not administered by the University. It's like blaming Putin for high gas prices.
bingo. he's making excuses to not do what needs to be done. this has Foley written all over it.

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Pay for play is against the rules regardless of what Title IX has to say about it. Me thinks Stricky is using that as an excuse. Title IX has nothing to do with NIL because NIL is not administered by the University. It's like blaming Putin for high gas prices.
Dude, you guys see what you want to see. So you're telling me, you don't think that a coach, who is an employee of the University who directs a collective to pay a player to attend the university is not a potential liability for the university as in fact administering NIL?!! I'm just asking from a technical standpoint. I feel pretty confident an attorney could make that case. NOW is it a big liability? Does the NCAA have any teeth to it? And it only becomes a liability if someone chooses to try a Title IX case. Those are all separate discussions.

Fine, you are comfortable operating in this grey area, and feel we should be more aggressive in this manner. But you asked the question and you got a reasonable answer.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, you guys see what you want to see. So you're telling me, you don't think that a coach, who is an employee of the University who directs a collective to pay a player to attend the university is not a potential liability for the university as in fact administering NIL?!! I'm just asking from a technical standpoint. I feel pretty confident an attorney could make that case. NOW is it a big liability? Does the NCAA have any teeth to it? And it only becomes a liability if someone chooses to try a Title IX case. Those are all separate discussions.

Fine, you are comfortable operating in this grey area, and feel we should be more aggressive in this manner. But you asked the question and you got a reasonable answer.
What part of your post or anything that has happened so far indicates the school or coach "directing" anything? Nothing, that's what. You are the one seeing what you want to see. The rest of us recognize the situation for what it is, a big nothing.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

I might be wrong but I thought a coach could NOT be involved with NIL?

Now I am sure the $$$ suppliers know exactly who the staff is looking for but NIL has nothing to do with the UAA.

It's like off season coaching. S&C know what Napier needs and wants but it's not the on field coaches.

Or am I wrong?

Last edited:

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
And if I have $$$, I can pay a super star kicker to come to UF even if we have a kicker.

Or a BB catcher, a world class sprinter, or a Nigerian distance runner.

We might see 5* walk-ons before this is over.

Last edited:

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like the Ohio minor league football team has a payroll of about 13 mil

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
They are given a scholarship. If they are receiving large sums of money they should have to repay the cost of the scholarship.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I agree, but all it takes is one bamuh, ugaly or atm to offer both schollies and cash... and the rest of us will continue to miss out on top recruits.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
They are not being paid by the University of Florida to play football. They are being paid for use of their NIL by others to promote whatever it is they want to promote. I think the only thing UF has to do with it is making sure what is going on is on the up and up and assisting the players much the same as the nutritionist makes sure they dont take illegal substances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.