NIL discussion: Saban accuses A&M of buying every recruit; Jimbo RIPS Saban in response

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Is it hard for you to understand that? Does Brady get paid by Subway to play football or to use his reach to sell their sammies? Again, duh...they are not getting paid to play football at Florida and they are not getting paid by the University of Florida.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Is it hard for you to understand that? Does Brady get paid by Subway to play football or to use his reach to sell their sammies? Again, duh...they are not getting paid to play football at Florida and they are not getting paid by the University of Florida.

How much is tuition and food and free housing worth? Many thousands. To me, thats getting paid. I understand its not NIL but its being paid none the less.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
How much is tuition and food and free housing worth? Many thousands. To me, thats getting paid. I understand its not NIL but its being paid none the less.
You are correct. Its not NIL. Its part of the athletic scholarship. They get an education, room and board to play football for UF.

But lets flip this scrip since you are only seeing one side of it. How many millions does UF make off the football players? More than those thousands you are referencing for sure. How much of that $ that UF makes off the players do the players see beyond the thousands for the education, room and board? Zilch. So whats your point?

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
You are correct. Its not NIL. Its part of the athletic scholarship. They get an education, room and board to play football for UF.

But lets flip this scrip since you are only seeing one side of it. How many millions does UF make off the football players? More than those thousands you are referencing for sure. How much of that $ that UF makes off the players do the players see beyond the thousands for the education, room and board? Zilch. So whats your point?

I dont mind players getting some kind of compensation but the NIL is the worst thing to happen to college football and could possibly be its downfall. It looks like its already causing strife and division and it has the likeliness of causing jealousy and division within team ranks. I dont see it ending well.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I dont mind players getting some kind of compensation but the NIL is the worst thing to happen to college football and could possibly be its downfall. It looks like its already causing strife and division and it has the likeliness of causing jealousy and division within team ranks. I dont see it ending well.
Thats a separate point that Im not going to get into replying. I was only pointing out that the University is not paying players for their NIL. Im sure they are acting at some level as a proxy to 'assist' the players with NIL, but the University is not compensating players beyond scholarship, room and board. However, the University is, and has been, making millions off the players NIL for a long time. So the whole make them pay their scholarship, room and board angle is wrong.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Thats a separate point that Im not going to get into replying. I was only pointing out that the University is not paying players for their NIL. Im sure they are acting at some level as a proxy to 'assist' the players with NIL, but the University is not compensating players beyond scholarship, room and board. However, the University is, and has been, making millions off the players NIL for a long time. So the whole make them pay their scholarship, room and board angle is wrong.

Do you think that TAM paid anybody to get the top class? If the university is the one making millions off of the players maybe they should be the ones to foot the bill.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

You can blame the NCAA. They're like the NFL owners, they had it all their own way until the courts got involved.

Universities can spout all the "elite" education they want but most of these kids could barley make it through JUCO let alone UF. The education "generally" is not the same unless you are in the Ivy League or similar.

NIL or not, most of these players will not get compensated to the level of their worth to the UAA and NCAA...just the facts.

And there will never be parity in Div-1 Football. I like Napier's attitude...these are the rules for today...deal with it or move on.

Last edited:

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Do you think that TAM paid anybody to get the top class? If the university is the one making millions off of the players maybe they should be the ones to foot the bill.

The school itself directly? Probably not.. Did the football program direct "boosters" to those they were targeting? I suspect so...

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Do you think that TAM paid anybody to get the top class?

Not TAMU directly. What, you think Bama and "The OSU" hasn't been buying players since before Bear and Woody?

If I were rich, I'd buy UF the best OL and DL money could buy. With NIL, no one could stop me.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Rumor has always been that Saban was paying players and I believe it. I also believe that Jimbo learned it from him. I think its highly possible they have figured out how to do it. Going forward the rich will only get richer. It will no longer be a football dynasty but rather a money dynasty full of football players that only care about getting rich. Wo cares if they produce or not right?

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Rumor has always been that Saban was paying players and I believe it. I also believe that Jimbo learned it from him. I think its highly possible they have figured out how to do it. Going forward the rich will only get richer. It will no longer be a football dynasty but rather a money dynasty full of football players that only care about getting rich. Wo cares if they produce or not right?

I believe this is why Saban was upset... Not at Jimbo specifically, but at NIL in general.. It has upset his talent stream and equalized the playing field somewhat..

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018

Where have you been...It's always been about money. Now the players get a share. You are correct, OL will never make what a skilled player makes. And what about a situation like Franks and Trask? We all knew Trask was worth way more than Franks.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Where have you been...It's always been about money. Now the players get a share. You are correct, OL will never make what a skilled player makes. And what about a situation like Franks and Trask? We all knew Trask was worth way more than Franks.

Its more about the money now than ever. The Trask / Franks thing is what I mean when I say it will cause jealousy and division. Egos will be difficult to overcome.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Its more about the money now than ever. The Trask / Franks thing is what I mean when I say it will cause jealousy and division. Egos will be difficult to overcome.

It will be like the NFL...players will have to deal with it. And like fee agency, let the bidding begin

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
First: Why does this not shock me?

Second: It's NIL, haven't the courts said NCAA can't stop this?

Third: Why is the NCAA even relevant today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.