NIL ruined football. Playoff Committee, “Hold my beer”

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
College football playoff triples in size to 12 teams for 2024 season.The importance of regular season games is severely diluted and conference championships are as prized as a Cracker Jack toy.

Gone are the days of every game matters, but at least more money is made for our “student athletes”.

College ball is nothing more than the NFL, Jr., and I don’t like it.

Now, get off my lawn and discuss.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
So, the only way this works is if all the Power Five champions are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs and then the next highest ranked 7 teams fill out the card. I'd be willing to bet 4 or more of the fillers are from the Power Five.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Combine the play-off, with the portal (free agency) , NIL (pay for play), and (rumor) no scholarship limits or coaching limit ... and it is truly NFL minor league (not in the Kitna kind of way).

Last edited:

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Regular season games will still mean a lot for teams fighting for a playoff bye or home game. And at least you won’t see entire junior/senior classes opting out of bowl games as often.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
8 was the correct number but I'm sure they wanted to be assured a non-power 5 got in and 8 probaly wouldn't do that. I'm also not sure I would want a bye before playing a top team that just won a big playoff game the week before.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
8 was the correct number but I'm sure they wanted to be assured a non-power 5 got in and 8 probaly wouldn't do that. I'm also not sure I would want a bye before playing a top team that just won a big playoff game the week before.

2 was the correct number.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
I disagree about this ruining "every game matters."

Maybe that's just me from the mid 90s-mid 00s talking though...

I remember feeling like none of the games mattered if we had already lost to Tennessee. There wasn't going to be any SEC championship game or national championship game at that point All we could do is sit and hope that Tennessee lost two SEC games.

it literally felt like none of the games really mattered after that point except maybe FSU...

Same with this year... what did those games mean to you after we already had two SEC losses? Do any of us really get excited about the prospect of going to a BCS bowl after not making it to the SEC championship game?

I do think 12 is way too many though and that 8 is appropriate

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I remember feeling like none of the games mattered if we had already lost to Tennessee.
Thats b/c of how much losing a single game means when your entire season was your championship game resume. You knew it was likely over after that first loss.

While i agree that now you can have a couple L's and still feel good about getting in, the magic and visceral electricity you feel during that every once in a while special season is likely gone. Sure it feels good to keep winning, but does it really matter when the guy with 3 losses will end up in the same position you will? The answer is no. And because of that, those incredible feelings we had in 96 and 08 and still remember vividly to this day are all but gone for good.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to me that many have complained about the fact that many of the current playoff games are not competitive.
The response, add more even less competitive games.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Seems to me that many have complained about the fact that many of the current playoff games are not competitive.
The response, add more even less competitive games.
For the most part, even 1 of the 2 semis under the existing 4 team system has been a total snoozer.

cincinatti?
washington?
mich st?
notre dame?

What do all these teams have in common? They all had their :kiffin: pushed in by an actual contender in the semifinal.

Only teams to ever win have been bama, clemson, ohio st, georgia and lsu. Worse, besides those winners, only 1 other team ever made it to a final (oregon) and that happened once, the very first year.

Anyone think that's changing because st mary's school for the deaf, dumb, blind, and f###n retarded now has a shot?
If so, you've got something in common with st mary's.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
12 is almost half of the top 25. It devalues the regular season. I think it should have been 6 with a first round bye for the top 2 teams or 8 teams at most. The good news is that now we have a much better chance of making the playoffs each year and the number of useless bowl games where players skip it is over now. No one will skip the playoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb