No Good Deed Goes Unpunished?

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Sometimes I wonder what am I doing? While browsing the posts on Craigslist, I came across a post
from some guy asking for a handout. Seems like while trying to get back out west somewhere the junky old Dodge he had blew the transmission. They were holed up in a local fleabag hotel, no food, no money, no nothing. His girlfriend was almost 9 months pregnant and looked ready to pop. She hadn't seen a doctor in 3 months. I met up with them and gave them $100. No big deal, right? God has been very good to me. I have money. Several hours later, he called me and asked if I could somehow help him retrieve the old Dodge. Maybe he could sell if for a few bucks. I hitched up my tow dollie to the back of my truck and went about 20 miles with him and loaded up the old junker. For some unknown reason, I decided to give him $600 just to help him out. Of course, he didn't have the title with him, but he promised faithfully to mail it to me ASASP. They bought some Saturn from some sled lot and headed off into the sunset. Naturally, I never heard from them.
No title, no phone call. I did manage to find someplace to give me $175 (sans title) for the old turd, so I guess it wasn't a total bust.

Last edited:

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Sometimes I wonder what am I doing? While browsing the posts on Craigslist, I came across a post
from some guy asking for a handout. Seems like while trying to get back out west somewhere the junky old Dodge he had blew the transmission. They were holed up in a local fleabag hotel, no food, no money, no nothing. His girlfriend was almost 9 months pregnant and looked ready to pop. She hadn't seen a doctor in 3 months. I met up with them and gave them $100. No big deal, right? God has been very good to me. I have money. Several hours later, he called me and asked if I could somehow help him retrieve the old Dodge. Maybe he could sell if for a few bucks. I hitched up my tow dollie to the back of my truck and went about 20 miles with him and loaded up the old junker. For some unknown reason, I decided to give him $600 just to help him out. Of course, he didn't have the title with him, but he promised faithfully to mail it to me ASASP. They bought some Saturn from some sled lot and headed off into the sunset. Naturally, I never heard from them.
No title, no phone call. I did manage to find someplace to give me $175 (sans title) for the old turd, so I guess it wasn't a total bust.
You did a good thing, Nova. Who knows how the ripples from your generosity and care will play out through how many lives?

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There’s nothing wrong with being a Good Samaritan and showing some love and generosity to the less fortunate. The world would be a better place if there was more of this spirit.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but I think you’re idiot to fall for scams like this. People “down on their luck” in this day and age are there for a reason. It’s usually drugs.
Fuch em, I say.

heavychevy

water bottle holder
Sep 8, 2014
I’m a cynical person, mostly due to my... work experiences. People suck, and schitty people really suck and are dangerous by nature. you dealt with a schitty person. You actually may have ended up in the “best” case scenario for the situation you put yourself in.

step 1: don’t answer ads on CL looking for handouts. many charities will gladly take your money for vetted causes.

b; no one heads west for prosperity anymore, unless you’re at the beach.

7 - don’t get let a desperate dude with clearly nothing to lose inside your car with you unless you’ve made it well known that he’s got a 9mm brain tumor on the way shall he decide to not play by the rules.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hope you gave him a PO Box address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb