Founding Member
4e3ec2d81fb4708946e5be36eb53a6a0.jpg

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Verne is ****ing awful and i can't believe there are actually people here that will miss that guy
Agreed. I don't get this AT ALL. He adds zero unless you consider the comedy value of him not knowing which teams are playing and barely knowing the name of the sport being played.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Beth Mowins called our game against Vandy last year. I'd take drunk, mouth-breathing Verne and inappropriately creepy Brent over that any day.

images

Worst ever. In addition to sucking in terms of content, she has this weird nasally, upstate NY thing going on. Listen to her A's in Swamp and yards. Turrible. Just turrible.

If you have the stomach for it, here's a reminder (full disclosure, it painful to watch and even more painful to hear):

Alex.

Last edited:

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Beth Mowins called our game against Vandy last year. I'd take drunk, mouth-breathing Verne and inappropriately creepy Brent over that any day.

images

Worst ever. In addition to sucking in terms of content, she has this weird nasally, upstate NY thing going on. Listen to her A's in Swamp and yards. Turrible. Just turrible.

If you have the stomach for it, here's a reminder (full disclosure, it painful to watch and even more painful to hear):

Alex.

And to top it off she's ugly as 400 hells.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
As bad as she is, and northern accents are always unbearable, she knows football, a thousand times more football than Verne.

She is perfect for the Big 10. They deserve her.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Seriously, I know Vern can be clueless, but I don't get the hate. There are several other commentators who either openly pull for the Gators' opponent, or just don't have a clue about UF. There are idiots out there who actually defended chump last year - like chump left Mac plenty of talent... Morons...

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Why? Speelmen is an annoying big 10ish homer.

Just my opinion CG. I like the guy's genuine knowledgeable enthusiasm for the game. I find him neither annoying nor a homer. Would you like to see Danielson replaced and, if so, by whom?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
idk, Verne's like napping after a huge Thanksgiving Dinnner... kind of a tradition listening to him struggle. :lmao2:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Just my opinion CG. I like the guy's genuine knowledgeable enthusiasm for the game. I find him neither annoying nor a homer. Would you like to see Danielson replaced and, if so, by whom?

Spellmon is definitely enthusiastic and entertaining. He's easier to listen to when it's a big 10ish conference game. He about lost his mind when UF played iowa in meyer's first bowl game (Outback?) and maybe that tainted my view of him, but I've seen it creep up on other occasions to a lesser degree.

I think Danielson is fairly objective, though at times he'll fixate on a star player. His man crush on Tebow was great, but then became almost embarrassing. Anyway, if I picked his replacement, I'd like to see Kevin Carter in a game. He's done well in the studio so far. And yes, that is a blatant homer pick. Sue me.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As I have said, Verne is awful and he does provide a humorous look at the game due to his incompetence.
However, I will take that over the alternatives which include front running slurpers like Brent Musberger or SEC haters like Speilman or Kanell.

You guys rail on Verne but I don't look to him for insight into the game, he doesn't have any nor does he need any, he is a play by play guy only. Musberger fancies himself an analyst when in reality he knows nothing about the game.

I do believe that Nessler will be an upgrade but I will miss the Verne gaffs in the future.
Why is that so hard to accept?

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Spellmon is definitely enthusiastic and entertaining. He's easier to listen to when it's a big 10ish conference game. He about lost his mind when UF played iowa in meyer's first bowl game (Outback?) and maybe that tainted my view of him, but I've seen it creep up on other occasions to a lesser degree.

I think Danielson is fairly objective, though at times he'll fixate on a star player. His man crush on Tebow was great, but then became almost embarrassing. Anyway, if I picked his replacement, I'd like to see Kevin Carter in a game. He's done well in the studio so far. And yes, that is a blatant homer pick. Sue me.

No need to sue. KC is an intelligent articulate studio commentator and it would be interesting to hear him do color in the booth.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I like Double Gator Dad's take on this in his post above. I don't look to Verne as an analyst. It is good to have a balance between one announcer in the booth who is an analyst and one announcer who is more of a play-by-play guy. I love Verne for the tone of his voice, for his love for the game, for his interjections, "WOW". A football game is more than just analysis. You can analyze a game to death. A football game is also about excitement, color, momentum. A dull analyst can take all that away.

A football game is poetry in action. A critic can pick a poem apart. A lover of poetry does not try to analyze a poem but just experiences it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.