No practice Tuesday of week of WLOCP

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
NCAA says no practice or athletic events on Election Day, which is same week as the cocktail party.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
fkv jawja

Just one day of missed practice, both teams in the same boat... no biggie

We'll be in great shape and in command of the playbook by that time, i'd be more worried about personnel possibly missing due to covid quarrantine time.

fvk jawja

just beat them damn dawgs

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Why was this new rule implemented? Why this election and not the over one hundred that came before it?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Staff will be shopping for a new recruitmobile after the last one done burned up.

Kirby's likely getting a fresh bowl cut.

macNCheeseB

Mar 1, 2016
This is a stupid rule. With vote early locations and vote by mail, you could have the whole team and support staff have already voted ahead of time so they could focus on the game week.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Which day do they usually go over wristbands?

9912158.gif

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
Good for the NCAA. Hopefully the players actually go out and vote.
Most of you probably oppose this measure. You can share your justifications, and fool yourself into believing your justification, but it'll all just be code for "I don't want too many young black people voting".

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
Most of you probably oppose this measure. You can share your justifications, and fool yourself into believing your justification, but it'll all just be code for "I don't want too many young black people voting".

You are an idiot.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

9912158.gif

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So it's ok, for athletes to have day off to vote even through there are so many other avenues to vote, being most their perm. addresses are not in the town they are going to school in. If the day was a national holiday, I would have no problem with the measure because then people who have jobs (similar to what having a athletic scholarship is) would be afforded the same measure. But this is just lazy and self serving by the NCAA. A way the placate the masses. As an adult you have to make the time in your schedule to make voting a priority, not have it spoon fed to you.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Me too. I found this article from the futuristic 2004 season/election when players were able to vote and coaches even encouraged it. Sure wish we could speed things up and see this in real life one day.

Gators get out to vote

It’s also cool how players vocally talked about their support for one candidate while the head coach was known to support the other. And yet, no issues. Again, one day waaaay down the line maybe, if we’re lucky.

QueenCityGator

University of Florida Alumnus
Aug 12, 2014
So it's ok, for athletes to have day off to vote even through there are so many other avenues to vote, being most their perm. addresses are not in the town they are going to school in. If the day was a national holiday, I would have no problem with the measure because then people who have jobs (similar to what having a athletic scholarship is) would be afforded the same measure. But this is just lazy and self serving by the NCAA. A way the placate the masses. As an adult you have to make the time in your schedule to make voting a priority, not have it spoon fed to you.
Thank you for your logical response. That is a valid point about where athlete goes to school vs where they can actually vote. The NCAA's action isn't going to mean all of sudden 80% of athletes are gonna vote, due to either being out of state, not registered, no desire to vote, etc.
But where is the harm in providing this day off from athletics in order to vote? Even if it means just one more student athlete voted than compared to having no "voting day off", then it's worth it.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
You never cease to disappoint when it comes to assuming what others motives are. @Gatordiddy actually nailed it in his post above: it's just optics. Stop and think for a moment; how many college students are actually registered to vote in the same district as their college? Unless it happens to be where they are from, I'll wager it's not very many. Perhaps it's anecdotal, but I'm a parent of two college kids, one in Florida and one in North Carolina and they are registered to vote in Georgia.
It might be more effective if they had a team meetings (like this week) and all the players were provided with instructions (or better still the universities provided the info to all students) on how to get an absentee ballot from their local registrar. But then the NCAA couldn't signal how virtuous they are....

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
It’s also cool how players vocally talked about their support for one candidate while the head coach was known to support the other. And yet, no issues. Again, one day waaaay down the line maybe, if we’re lucky.
Ah the good old days, when it was acceptable to have differing opinions about politics without it leading to drama. I bet there's not many coaches today that will voice a differing opinion from their players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator