Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Zach Evans goes to TCU

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014

Yeah I do....Pierce is a solid back but he's not spectacular and has no ability to be a game changer. Lingard was hurt most of his time with Miami and its not like Diaz/Enos knew how to run an offense. I'll take my chances with a former five star guy any day of the week. Guess you said the same thing about Van Jefferson and Grimes who both were more highly rated and talented than any receiver we had on our team.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I really think that if Lingard gets a red shirt and if we land Evans those guys will take the bulk of the carries by the end of the year. I like Pierce as a back but he's nothing special.
I'd like to see what Pierce can do with an average OL in front of him. Last year's run blocking was embarrassing.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Does anyone really know what happened at UM last season - or why? Not trying to be a dick about it, but it's all speculation either way at this point. We'll see what happens in the Spring Game and the guesswork will finally start to give way to informed opinion. I for one am excited about the prospects for an improved run game next year, and have no intention of bashing any Gator player - regardless of how this plays out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After early signing day, Florida right where it was in 2018 and 2019 - Read and Reaction

With the smoke cleared, Florida ranks eighth nationally according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. More importantly, the Gators rank sixth in the SEC. And more than that, there is a definitive separation between Florida and Alabama, Georgia and LSU, the three teams Florida is going to have to play to win the SEC.

All is not lost. These players are going to do a good job representing the Gators. Florida is going to win a bunch of games with them making big plays and shutting down the opposition.

But if history is any guide, I’m just not sure they’re going to make enough of those plays to win either an SEC or National Championship.

Just more of what most of us know already.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is Dan Mullen’s third recruiting class at Florida.

He has gone 20-5 on the field and turned a terrible offense into a pretty good one. He has helped develop Feleipe Franks into a really good QB. He transitioned to a pass-heavy offense to play to the strengths of backup QB Kyle Trask and his stable of wide receivers.

He’s done all he can to show the results on the field that I was told I needed to wait for when I raised some concerns about recruiting prior to last season.

Yet, this class has zero (!) top-100 recruits on the offensive side of the ball. His 2019 class had zero (!) top-100 recruits on the offensive side of the ball. The Gators have four top-100 recruits on the offensive side of the ball in the last four cycles.

Georgia has six…..this year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But perhaps the biggest flashing warning light is the following:

2019-12-18-Gators-coaches-third-recruiting-classes.png

Third-year recruiting classes for last five Gators head coaches. (Will Miles/Read and Reaction)

Anytime your recruiting is being compared to Jim McElwain, that’s a problem.

Because Florida’s class is pretty full, teams like Texas, Notre Dame and Oklahoma have an opportunity to pass the Gators, potentially sinking the Gators below eighth.

But more critically, there is really a lack of top-end talent.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
But at the close of the early signing period of his third recruiting class, the truth is unavoidable. He struggles to recruit at a truly elite level.

Let me be clear. Florida just got better today by signing a bunch of really good football players. That’s especially true on the defensive side of the ball, where the defensive line recruiting really shined.

I have no doubt that these players are going to represent the university well and lead the school to a bunch of wins. And with Mullen in charge, I’m sure there will be a handful who will overachieve.

But even with all that, competing with Georgia, LSU and Alabama is going to be difficult. Basically, this recruiting class sets Florida up to be exactly what it has been the past two seasons. Good enough to get up all of our hopes, but not quite good enough to run the SEC gauntlet to a championship.

For some fans, that isn’t enough. A bunch of wins over Kentucky and Missouri isn’t going to be seen as a success now that Mullen has established that as his baseline. They want Georgia and they want championships.

And those are expectations Mullen has set for himself. He always references the “Gator Standard” when talking about his program. Like it or not, the Gator Standard means SEC and National Championships.

At the end of the day, Mullen is getting paid $6 million per season to manage a program. That includes coaching at an elite level. It includes developing talent at an elite level. But it also includes recruiting at an elite level.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well, at a minimum, hes laying the groundwork for the next guy - which is more than the last two guys did. Definitely concerning.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, at a minimum, hes laying the groundwork for the next guy - which is more than the last two guys did. Definitely concerning.
Well, what isnt shown there is he isnt taking the 1000th ranked garbage that Butters did. So we got that going for us.

Things are still far from right, though. Way too many misses on top guys.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Well, what isnt shown there is he isnt taking the 1000th ranked garbage that Butters did. So we got that going for us.

Things are still far from right, though. Way too many misses on top guys.
Seems like he’s building a good base but is not landing enough top talent to push us near our rivals - especially on offense. He just refuses to jettison the deadweight on his offensive staff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb