Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Zach Evans goes to TCU

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Portal is new. We do not know what the mean is. That’s sort of the issue - I think you and @BMF are looking at the portal from the old transfer lens. With the NCAA inconsistent but generally lenient attitude towards immediate eligibility, no telling how the portal will play into a team’s strategy. The playoff this year is a great example - 3 teams found their most important player in the transfer portal. That’s not normal historically but who knows if that is where we are trending?

But do not mistake this for a portal heavy argument. I just think it has more merit than strictly hole filler in today’s game.

I look at it like NFL Free Agency, it was the shiny new toy until people realized it was still easier to develop your own talent. Use Free Agency as roster filler, but unlike the draft where you get -6-12 players a year, recruiting you get 20+, but also have to fill roughly twice the size roster.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The playoff this year is a great example - 3 teams found their most important player in the transfer portal.
I'll give you LSU & tOSU, but it's a stretch to say Alabama's most important player came from the portal; I will give you "an important player." I don't recall any of Clemson's key guys having come out of the portal, though I'll admit I don't follow them much, but once again it was not "the" guy for them either.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll give you LSU & tOSU, but it's a stretch to say Alabama's most important player came from the portal; I will give you "an important player." I don't recall any of Clemson's key guys having come out of the portal, though I'll admit I don't follow them much, but once again it was not "the" guy for them either.

Ohio State, Oklahoma (grad transfer) and LSU

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I love how you are mountain out of mole hill man. Please list where on this thread I believe Mullen is a failure or should be fired...
I didn't mean to say that you were, and I'm not trying to antagonize you or start an exchange of insults. If that's how I came across, I'm sorry, that was not my intention. I'm actually interested in where you are in the continuum of opinion on DM's prospects for success or failure - as a direct result of his difficulties in recruiting at a top-tier level. Some of your previous observations SEEM to indicate that you're pretty down on the current regime and I was wondering why you had drawn that conclusion. Thank you in advance for a civil response.

Last edited:

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
I'm pretty sure that's why most coaches use the transfer portal - grad transfer or not. DM is not unique in how he's used/using it. UGA just went out and landed their starting QB and probably a starting TE. Ohio State landed their starting QB last year. LSU did the same thing two years ago. The transfer portal has been good to a lot of teams and is something that will be a big boost to fixing short comings in recruiting.

I agree, but would further note that UF has the added incentive to go that route because of the urgent need to pump as much talent into the program as quickly as possible - by any means available. UGA, OSU and LSU weren't facing a wholesale shortage of high-quality talent across the board. Their needs were more specific and centered around the QB position. We of course have similar needs, but on a much broader scale - plus the fact that UF has much more to prove than the programs you cited. It boils down to win now, and there's at least a better chance that the 5* HS recruits will come.

beteez

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
How many times has mullen.lost to uga? Where do the 3 L's come from?

And how could you feel Mullen had a team to beat them last year? Does recruiting not matter to you?

3 once at cow bell twice in wlocp

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's not that difficult to understand. Teams like LSU, OSU, OU etc use the portal to shore up a position or two as they make a playoff run. Mullen is using the transfer portal to fill out the roster. Not a position or two, but several. The reason...his recruiting blows. He is having luck in the portal because guys see playing time due to crappy recruiting.

I'm glad we got Brewster, but he's an incremental improvement. Still have too much dead weight at positions more important than TE.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I'm pretty sure that's why most coaches use the transfer portal - grad transfer or not. DM is not unique in how he's used/using it. UGA just went out and landed their starting QB and probably a starting TE. Ohio State landed their starting QB last year. LSU did the same thing two years ago. The transfer portal has been good to a lot of teams and is something that will be a big boost to fixing short comings in recruiting.

I’d like to see the recruiting services determine a way to rate & rank transfers. I feel pretty good about the ones we’ve gotten - those who have played and the ones who are on tap.

But how do they compare to others’?

Edit: Also worth noting is why Mullen has been so effective with transfers. Seems like once the shine of HS recruiting has worn off and guys look at things more clearly, our coaches etc. look better.

Kind of like how my wife wouldn’t have given me the time of day at 19, but once she wised up after her first marriage I looked like a real catch.

Last edited:

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Edit: Also worth noting is why Mullen has been so effective with transfers. Seems like once the shine of HS recruiting has worn off and guys look at things more clearly, our coaches etc. look better.

Kind of like how my wife wouldn’t have given me the time of day at 19, but once she wised up after her first marriage I looked like a real catch.

This all reminds me of an SNL skit -

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/settl/2949238

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I think our arguments compliment each other more than disagree. I’m guessing the friction point is the transfer portal (which is not calculated into recruiting rankings). It will be interesting to see where we are in team composite talent and if it continues to ascend.
My favorite subject.

Just for giggles lets look at UF's and UGAy's composite the last four years
2017 2017 2018 2019 2020
UGAy
Recruting finish 6th, 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 1st
Composite 872, 930, 964, 960

UF
Finish 12th, 11th, 14th, 9th, 8th
Composite 798, 796, 836, 836

Delta -74, -134, -128, -124 (2020 TBD)

So we won't know until the fall when 247 tallies the rosters if we've closed the gap with UGAy.

Note: A 5 star's worth about 20 points and a 3 star maybe 5. So UGAy has quite a few more quality players than us. LSU had a composite of 906 this year.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't mean to say that you were, and I'm not trying to antagonize you or start an exchange of insults. If that's how I came across, I'm sorry, that was not my intention. I'm actually interested in where you are in the continuum of opinion on DM's prospects for success or failure - as a direct result of his difficulties in recruiting at a top-tier level. Some of your previous observations SEEM to indicate that you're pretty down on the current regime and I was wondering why you had drawn that conclusion. Thank you in advance for a civil response.

Mullen is a good to very good coach, and in my opinion the 2nd or 3rd best Xs and Os coach in the SEC. The issues I see with him are as a CEO. The time has past where you can have a great Football guy, who is a marginal CEO to complete against the elite schools. That's not to say Mullen is a bad CEO, just there is a difference between being the CEO at the different tier of schools. I mentioned earlier in the thread to compare ourselves against the 130 D1 schools is a false dataset to measure against, because the tier our organization is on only has roughly 10-20 peers. In year three, the issues with have assistants not pulling their weight in recruiting on the field should have been fix being they were on the initial staff. That is part of being a CEO, though as guys have left he has brought in better guys. He currently shown a lack of detail and a lack of fortitude to make the hard decisions that need to be made by removing those who can't hack it. He complains about it to the media, but stands pat. To me that shows the difference between a coach/CEO that is good (2-4 lose coach on average) and great/elite (1-2 loss coach on average). This is year three, the excuses about the previous staff are now null and void.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb