Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Zach Evans goes to TCU

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
What has he done at the running back position that makes you think he can get you into the NFL? You say he has done enough he has been here for two years, no backs in the league. Was at Mississippi State for a decade, I don't remember any notable backs in the league. I agree when need a dynamic back, and to show recruits we can have a solid OL for run blocking. But your statement he has shown enough, seems very devoid of actual facts.

It didn't seem like he was referring directly to bringing in top-flight RBs - just the general uptick offensively. LP was good and got better as an all-around back with Mullen, but he was a McEldoosh recruit and doesn't really count. However, if Lingard pans out and Evans comes to UF and balls out, the paradigm will at least begin to shift. We won't have to guess or speculate whether DM can bring in and then utilize premier RBs much longer - we're about to find out, one way or another.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The lack of history there... when you are looking at the NFL landscape how many CDM running backs do you see? Now I do believe Perine should be drafted, if you are a 14-18 year old watching NFL football right now which CDM running back to you notice on Sundays.
It isnt just the lack of history and lack of production, it is the scheme.

The elite RBs dont want to come here to an offense that features the QB as the primary or, at least secondary RB. They know they at least going to split carries w the QBs.

It will never be more attractive than tailback centric offenses at most SEC ground and pound schools.

This isnt a new problem and isnt changing.

The flipside is it doesnt matter that we are never landing the CJ Spillers, Trent Richardsons, Trey Sanders, or D Bowmans bc all that matters in this offense are the legs of the QB.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It didn't seem like he was referring directly to bringing in top-flight RBs - LP was good and got better as an all-around back with Mullen, but he was a McEldoosh recruit and doesn't really count. However, if Lingard pans out and Evans comes to UF and balls out, the paradigm will at least begin to shift. We won't have to guess or speculate whether DM can bring in and then utilize premier RBs much longer - we're about to find out ,one way or another.

Once we get a guy who we can point to in the league that will change. How easy was it for us to get top end talent at the Running back position, when we were able to point to having Neal Anderson, Emmitt Smith, Eric Rhett, Fred Taylor, etc... then barren waste land after Zook. Meyer wasn't bringing guys in due to fit. Muschamp had a terrific style for a Road grater especially with the '12 offense, but with Taylor Jr being a bit of a underachiever (still solid career due to the coaching). What do we have to sell?

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Once we get a guy who we can point to in the league that will change. How easy was it for us to get top end talent at the Running back position, when we were able to point to having Neal Anderson, Emmitt Smith, Eric Rhett, Fred Taylor, etc... then barren waste land after Zook. Meyer wasn't bringing guys in due to fit. Muschamp had a terrific style for a Road grater especially with the '12 offense, but with Taylor Jr being a bit of a underachiever (still solid career due to the coaching). What do we have to sell?
Not much at all at this moment. IF - and it's a big IF, we get a couple of early rounders into the league in the next 2-3 years, that drought could finally come to an end. The only glimmer of hope for now would be that if Lingard DOES excel at UF after doing ZIP at scUM, that would at least be a start. And IF Evans does suit up for UF and has a really good career, that could be the watershed moment we have been without for so long. I know - IF, IF, IF. But it is the off-season and ifs and buts are a staple this time of year. Hope in one hand...

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
The lack of history there... when you are looking at the NFL landscape how many CDM running backs do you see? Now I do believe Perine should be drafted, if you are a 14-18 year old watching NFL football right now which CDM running back to you notice on Sundays.
None, to answer the question. I just wasn't understanding the part I quoted.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
None, to answer the question. I just wasn't understanding the part I quoted.

Recruiting is selling what you are to offer, and the best sales pitch for recruiting is history. You look at it UF's last 3000 yard passer was Tebow in 09, the kids we recruited this year were 7/8 years old when that happened. Our last 1000 yard receiver played for Zook. Now Dak Prescott is going to help recruit at the quarterback position, the face of the Dallas Cowboys. But we have to sell a vision, and show that vision is happening. But we are competing against the Bama, Clemson's, etc... who call can point to production on the field, and players in the NFL.

Dunder

Dec 31, 2014
Zach Evans...

What are the prevailing theories of what really happened with him & UGA? Had to be something big for them to release him from an LOI.

What are his off the field issues?

Percy had a lot of issues too.... but he kept his nose mostly clean. Well, clean enough anyway.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There are probably a few RBs that played for mullen in the league, but none starting, and none notable to us who are paying attention. If we can't name one, no one else can. I'm not being negative or positive with this post, just providing facts. I dont think there's any reason to believe a good back cant shine in this offense, but so far it just hasnt happened. The good back usually ends up being the one that starts with the letter Q, and that's probably why the 3 studs we've had in the last 25 were crooted and played under other coaches.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zach Evans...

What are the prevailing theories of what really happened with him & UGA? Had to be something big for them to release him from an LOI.

What are his off the field issues?

Percy had a lot of issues too.... but he kept his nose mostly clean. Well, clean enough anyway.

Clean enough to get GPD and UPD to look the other way... but he sure did have a number of "ankle/generic leg injuries" for other issues

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There are probably a few RBs that played for mullen in the league, but none starting, and none notable to us who are paying attention. If we can't name one, no one else can. I'm not being negative or positive with this post, just providing facts. I dont think there's any reason to believe a good back cant shine in this offense, but so far it just hasnt happened. The good back usually ends up being the one that starts with the letter Q, and that's probably why the 3 studs we've had in the last 25 were crooted and played under other coaches.

You mean all three haven't been on campus in over 15 years or 4 coaches ago.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I was just trying to bring something to ignite the conversation relative to recruiting, and the whole Zach Evans thing seems to be the last question mark for this class.

I get that the NFL is a selling point to these recruits, but I wasn't referring to that. I think that a RB has an opportunity to be a playmaker and shine in this offense, and although I agree with Donk that the idea of splitting carries with the QB is probably not enticing, I'm not sure how that would affect the way NFL scouts evaluate them.
But I don't know much about all that NFL stuff. It seems to me that if a player shows tremendous skills on the field, and kills it at the combine, then the NFL guys are going to take notice.
On another note, how many of the great 5* RBs have been successful in the NFL? The one that comes to mind the most is Ezekiel Elliot, but of course that was a different system.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was just trying to bring something to ignite the conversation relative to recruiting, and the whole Zach Evans thing seems to be the last question mark for this class.

I get that the NFL is a selling point to these recruits, but I wasn't referring to that. I think that a RB has an opportunity to be a playmaker and shine in this offense, and although I agree with Donk that the idea of splitting carries with the QB is probably not enticing, I'm not sure how that would affect the way NFL scouts evaluate them.
But I don't know much about all that NFL stuff. It seems to me that if a player shows tremendous skills on the field, and kills it at the combine, then the NFL guys are going to take notice.
On another note, how many of the great 5* RBs have been successful in the NFL? The one that comes to mind the most is Ezekiel Elliot, but of course that was a different system.

RB is being devalued in the NFL more and more. Outside of a select few can’t miss studs most are being drafted after the 1st round. The day of the workhorse back is dying except again for a select few. Most teams are running a committee approach...and splitting carries with an NFL QB is starting to pop up more and more now too. The NFL is changing.

Outside of bama, uga, OSU, and Wisconsin what college teams are churning out stud RB at a high rate? Maybe Oklahoma and LSU...but there’s not many.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.