Recruiting NSD 2020 Thread: Zach Evans goes to TCU

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
God forbid the Qb carries the ball 8-10 times a game...and besides that we’re probably gonna run even more with a competent Oline...the numbers don’t make sense unless you’re trying to come up with an argument to argue for the sake of it...other than that I’d like to hear how OSU and the other schools that run a similar offense predicated on a mobile QB get all these high profile RBs...they do and it do it year after year...an Oline and elite recruiter is all we’re missing and hopefully Brewster and as the season goes on some experience will help the Oline gel

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
RB is being devalued in the NFL more and more. Outside of a select few can’t miss studs most are being drafted after the 1st round. The day of the workhorse back is dying except again for a select few. Most teams are running a committee approach...and splitting carries with an NFL QB is starting to pop up more and more now too. The NFL is changing.

Outside of bama, uga, OSU, and Wisconsin what college teams are churning out stud RB at a high rate? Maybe Oklahoma and LSU...but there’s not many.

Is Wisconsin actually churning out stud RBs? I mean once they leave Wisconsin they're never heard from again or are major busts...system guys.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is Wisconsin actually churning out stud RBs? I mean once they leave Wisconsin they're never again or are major busts...system guys.

Wisconsin doens't churn out running backs, but they do churn out linemen.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Is Wisconsin actually churning out stud RBs? I mean once they leave Wisconsin they're never heard from again or are major busts...system guys.

Melvin Gordon is a stud, James White is a very solid back and they have several others in the league. About to have another one drafted high again this year. Wisconsin’s problem is they put 200-300 carries a year on their backs and are spent shortly after getting to the NFL. Are they all studs no but neither are all the other backs from the teams I listed. The point is getting RB to the league is hard and very few teams can do it because unless you’re an all world talent you’re a dime a dozen to the NFL

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Melvin Gordon is a stud, James White is a very solid back and they have several others in the league. About to have another one drafted high again this year. Wisconsin’s problem is they put 200-300 carries a year on their backs and are spent shortly after getting to the NFL. Are they all studs no but neither are all the other backs from the teams I listed. The point is getting RB to the league is hard and very few teams can do it because unless you’re an all world talent you’re a dime a dozen to the NFL

The last statement is the most accurate, outside of maybe 5 guys, the rest are a dime a dozen. Playing at Wisconsin wears down your body after 3/4 years of 200-300 carries because they don't have a passing game. You get guys like Melvin Gordon with his body already breaking down.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
God forbid the Qb carries the ball 8-10 times a game...l
The fact that we dont run much with Trash doesnt mean that is what the offense will be.

You can bytch about bytching all you want, but Mullinz track record w RBs is clear.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So you are saying that with a good O-line we don't need elite RBs.
Youre better off with a good line and average or below average backs (or skill players) than vice versa.

Our OL will never look good at run blocking until we change OCs. People figured out this offense in 2009.

Last edited:

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
The fact that we dont run much with Trash doesnt mean that is what the offense will be.

You can bytch about bytching all you want, but Mullinz track record w RBs is clear.

The fact is though he’s never had an elite RB unless you consider Percy a hybrid back to game plan around...the whole scheme of offense is malleable as we saw last year to an extent

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
.the whole scheme of offense is malleable as we saw last year to an extent
:lmao2:

Holeee foook. You think Trash running the option on 80% of the plays is evidence that it is malleable?

That is almost impossible to believe you said that.

How about instead of running a fake option THAT FOOLS NO ONE ON THE PLANET then throwing a screen, we just throw a fukking screen? if we HAVE TO THROW SIDEWAYS that is.

Last year was the absolute epitome of stubborness and unwillingness to change scheme.

Urban must have been the one who made Mullinz give up the option with Leak, add a FB and run conventional power and counter. He damn sure didnt learn the lesson.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i did enjoy the option play fakes to air and trask attempting to juke the edge defender. i chuckled numerous times... right before crying :lol:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Limited carries in our offense, should equal to limited pounding taken on their body. Which should help lengthen any pro career they have. Obviously this thinking has not helped us land any stud RB's in this spread option offense in the past. I wonder why a kid wouldn't consider that as kind of a positive for them to come here, all these guys want to do is put in their 3 years and turn pro anyways. Why not do it in a system where you don't take near the pounding? I'll admit it's not the best selling point since most of the recruits probably think their invincible and will play for 20 years while getting 400 touches per year.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
If we get a dominant Oline, not good, dominant. It changes the life for all skilled positions.
I don't disagree, but I'd happily settle for merely good this season - that would be a massive step forward, in and of itself. The pass blocking last season was "OK" but the run blocking stunk to high heaven no matter how you slice it. I don't think "dominant" is in the cards this year, but hopefully a combination of Pierce, Lingard and possibly Evans can get it done behind an "improved/good OL. I sure as heck hope so.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'll admit it's not the best selling point since most of the recruits probably think their invincible and will play for 20 years while getting 400 touches per year.

You answered your own question, they all think they are the type that will go on like Emmitt Smith, Frank Gore, they will have these decade long careers.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don't disagree, but I'd happily settle for merely good this season - that would be a massive step forward, in and of itself. The pass blocking last season was "OK" but the run blocking stunk to high heaven no matter how you slice it. I don't think "dominant" is in the card this year, but hopefully a combination of Pierce, Lingard and possibly Evans can get it done behind an "improved/good OL. I sure as heck hope so.

I expected a good OL by the end of last year... and hope for it this year. More raw talent than in 18, but didn't come together.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'll admit it's not the best selling point since most of the recruits probably think their invincible
That's it. These are 17 year old kids. They arent thinking about limiting number of touches as a postive. They are thinking about maximizing their chances of making big plays, and thinking about maxing their stat line - chances of doing that decrease as touches do. These kids arent mature enough to think long-term, and honestly, they are probably making the better decision for them, in that moment, going to an offense that will really feature them vs one where they will, at best split carries. As much as we feel they'd be better off thinking long-term, we have to realize that that position basically assumes they are getting to the NFL. They dont have the luxury of that assumption. They are thinking what can I do NOW to maximize my chances. If the play that maximizes their chances also means their shelf life once there is decreased, in that moment, that's a factor that is low on the totem pole. Shelf life doesnt matter if you dont get there, so doing what maximizes their chances has to be the priority, even at the cost of wear and tear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying playing for mullen can't get you to the league. But what I am saying is that playing for running back featured offenses increases your chances to get on the field, and increases your chances of touches, allowing you more opportunity to get game reps, and more opportunity to develop and make big plays that NFL scouts notice.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's it. These are 17 year old kids. They arent thinking about limiting number of touches as a postive. They are thinking about maximizing their chances of making big plays, and thinking about maxing their stat line - chances of doing that decrease as touches do. These kids arent mature enough to think long-term, and honestly, they are probably making the better decision for them, in that moment, going to an offense that will really feature them vs one where they will, at best split carries. As much as we feel they'd be better off thinking long-term, we have to realize that that position basically assumes they are getting to the NFL. They dont have the luxury of that assumption. They are thinking what can I do NOW to maximize my chances. If the play that maximizes their chances also means their shelf life once there is decreased, in that moment, that's a factor that is low on the totem pole. Shelf life doesnt matter if you dont get there, so doing what maximizes their chances has to be the priority, even at the cost of wear and tear.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying playing for mullen can't get you to the league. But what I am saying is that playing for running back featured offenses increases your chances to get on the field, and increases your chances of touches, allowing you more opportunity to get game reps, and more opportunity to develop and make big plays that NFL scouts notice.

Big Plays that get on ESPN 3000 times a day.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018

Holeee foook. You think Trash running the option on 80% of the plays is evidence that it is malleable?

That is almost impossible to believe you said that.

How about instead of running a fake option THAT FOOLS NO ONE ON THE PLANET then throwing a screen, we just throw a fukking screen? if we HAVE TO THROW SIDEWAYS that is.

Last year was the absolute epitome of stubborness and unwillingness to change scheme.

Urban must have been the one who made Mullinz give up the option with Leak, add a FB and run conventional power and counter. He damn sure didnt learn the lesson.

I saw some big differences in the passing game out of necessity and the use of RBs was diminished due to that necessity as well...so I think some of it was stubbornness yes...I also see that Trask was hurt in the Auburn game and when he ran against UVA it was enough to make the defense honest...the big difference is the RPO where a 5* type talent would come in handy especially with a Jones/AR type to complement them

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator