Number 4

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
Today's choice won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in College Football.
But this choice is really about one play, in one game, in a monsoon, when this player explained to Joey Ivey, Payton Manning, the Tennessee Volunteers, and the rest of the world, that if your not a GATOR,

YOUR GATOR BAIT

1995 Florida Tennessee, my favorite Gator game of all time
Lawrence Wright - Football - Florida Gators

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hell yeah!!!!!

If you aint gator you must be Gatorbait!!!!

honorable mention Andre Dubose

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Well done today Unc R. Nothing pithy to say about this choice.

As for Debose, who I mentioned yesterday (and who's dreams you crushed despite his record of being on the sidelines during 107 Gator games), I distinctly remember the Zooker in 1994 really struggling to remember not to put Wright on the field at the same time as him since they both wore #4. That really stumped the Zooker on punt returns. Meyer managed his special teams much better and was never penalized for Wondy and AD being on the field at the same time.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Yeah, this borders on #7 territory.

It's Wright by a mile, based on his life turn-around story, on-field performance, championships, off the field work with youths, starting a recognized chant, and his help in establishing the Joey Kent Speech Impediment Foundation.

If there's a better body of work out there, regardless of number, I'd like to see it. He embodies everything that college athletics, and the doors it opens, is supposed to be.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
No love for Marquand Manuel yet

You know, I was thinking earlier that the #4 sort of went dormant for a few years after Wright. I could somehow remember Speer, then LW, then Fason, but couldn’t think of that late 90s/early ‘00s period. Good call.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Today's choice won the Jim Thorpe Award as the best defensive back in College Football.
But this choice is really about one play, in one game, in a monsoon, when this player explained to Joey Ivey, Payton Manning, the Tennessee Volunteers, and the rest of the world, that if your not a GATOR,

YOUR GATOR BAIT

1995 Florida Tennessee, my favorite Gator game of all time
Lawrence Wright - Football - Florida Gators

Joey Ivie played for the Gators. DL.

I think you mean Joey Kent, the Vol WR.

Alex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.