O-Line or Sow's Ear?

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Can Summers make something out of transfers and jucos? FAMU, really? A lotta turnstile reports out of open practices. BRING IT

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n29542 said:
Can Summers make something out of transfers and jucos? FAMU, really? A lotta turnstile reports out of open practices. BRING IT

It isn't sounding great right now even though the coaches act like they have 7 decent ones. It seems in the practice reports you hear the word sack a lot (or would have been a sack in a game).

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
At this point, all we can do is hope either our DLine is just that good, or our QBs get rid of the ball so fast our OLine doesn't have to be great. Either one will work for me.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I think it says more about our defensive line skills than anything else. Not to mention 1-on-1 drills between OL and DL are heavily skewed towards the DL.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Then the words Driskel and quick decision come into play.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
Then the words Driskel and quick decision come into play.
I can understand Fowler, but not some of the others that have been unabating. We have no shot without solving this problem IMO. Hope for the coaches to develop a workable 5.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch said:
I think it says more about our defensive line skills than anything else. Not to mention 1-on-1 drills between OL and DL are heavily skewed towards the DL.
Hope you're right.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well we have recruited pretty damn well on defense the past few years so im hoping that this is more to do with them. From all the reports i have read Fowler is unstoppable, Brantley is really stepping up in the middle, and Willis has been playing damn well for a true frosh. We could have a hell of a Dline this year.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't sound too promising, but hopefully our starters are serviceable. That would be an upgrade over last year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
We have more talent on the defensive side of the ball.......period. Of course they are getting sacks. We have a stockpile of studs on the defensive line. We have more talent in the defensive backfield than ANY team in the country. Good coverage(DB's) + good penetration(DL)= Sacks and defense looking ahead of the offense so far.
Look at the components of the equation and it becomes even clearer. Average and inexperienced WR's, at this point anyway, average or inexperienced QB's, again to this point, average at best offensive line, at least and very good RB's. VS. Very good DL, average but very experienced LB's, and probably the deepest and most talented, on paper anyway, Defensive backfields in all of CFB going against the same plays and looks over and over everyday......who do you think would have an advantage ?
I don't see us going for long pass after long pass this year anyway. Ropers style is more of taking what is given you. He also knows that his best position group is RB and that leads me to believe we will see a ton of read option runs and quick seam throws with drag routes and throwing to the backs out of the backfield. These things all lessen the load of the offensive line and will be the core of this years offense. Yes, we will uncork several deep balls or attempt to every game to keep the short passing lanes and running lanes from getting to congested but I wouldn't expect us to be airing it out all game long.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n29678 said:
We have more talent on the defensive side of the ball.......period. Of course they are getting sacks. We have a stockpile of studs on the defensive line. We have more talent in the defensive backfield than ANY team in the country. Good coverage(DB's) + good penetration(DL)= Sacks and defense looking ahead of the offense so far.
Look at the components of the equation and it becomes even clearer. Average and inexperienced WR's, at this point anyway, average or inexperienced QB's, again to this point, average at best offensive line, at least and very good RB's. VS. Very good DL, average but very experienced LB's, and probably the deepest and most talented, on paper anyway, Defensive backfields in all of CFB going against the same plays and looks over and over everyday......who do you think would have an advantage ?
I don't see us going for long pass after long pass this year anyway. Ropers style is more of taking what is given you. He also knows that his best position group is RB and that leads me to believe we will see a ton of read option runs and quick seam throws with drag routes and throwing to the backs out of the backfield. These things all lessen the load of the offensive line and will be the core of this years offense. Yes, we will uncork several deep balls or attempt to every game to keep the short passing lanes and running lanes from getting to congested but I wouldn't expect us to be airing it out all game long.

This pretty much sums up both were we stand talent wise plus our offensive game plan. Roper has stated that he builds his playbook by what the capabilities of the personnel are. In this case he has to heavily factor in the the weakness of the Oline and not just look at the QB/RB/WR abilities.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet said:
Nice post. :thumbup:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Out of the reports I've read the starters seem fine, but the backups are a real worry.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30;n29811 said:
Out of the reports I've read the starters seem fine, but the backups are a real worry.

Well, lets hope they can figure it out quickly because some of those guys will be on the field by October, no doubt.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
maheo30 said:
That's what I'm inclined to believe from what I've read, as well. Gotta hope we stay healthy and maybe a few more start to come along as the season progresses.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like they're getting worked in practice hopefully going up against our d line every day makes them better

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every year we say it's bc our defense is so good and that they can't get worse. And every year they have gotten worse.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator said:
Every year we say it's bc our defense is so good and that they can't get worse. And every year they have gotten worse.
You can't expect them to drastically improve over night

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.