Obscure Gators history

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
I've always thought Tim Paulk getting hurt cost us the Sugar Bowl against ND.

Yes losing Paulk was big. Also Carlton Miles got knocked out for most of the second half, Wasn't Culpepper dinged up as well? No answer for Bettis .

Spurrier made some comments well after the game that he felt that the boys needed to have some fun after the championship year. Had we cashed in on TD'S in the first half we might have hung on.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Loudest moment I've personally experienced at the Swamp was Andre Debose's TD on the first play against Bama in '11. The rest of the game was a sh*t show, but the noise that emanated from that building when he caught that pass made me go deaf for a moment.

Hang on a sec- I thought you said Fla-UT (Grier to Calloway) was the loudest?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I remember getting excited in the late 70s in the south end wooden bleachers when Mr Two Bits might come by.

This was when you could let your 11-13 yr old sit with their friends. Boy were they stupid!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I've always thought Tim Paulk getting hurt cost us the Sugar Bowl against ND.
I had this conversation tonight with a ND cheerleader. From his perspective it was the dropping 8 back. From my perspective when they realized all we had was a 180 safety playing mlb all they had to do was run it up the gut.

I did not realize it was called the Cheerios bowl!

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stephen PE's post about the 91 season bought back a lot of memories. The high point for me was being at the game in Ben Hill when we finally won an SEC championship that we could keep. The lows were being at the 2 games we lost in 91-92. My boss at the time was a big SU alumni and he invited me to come up from Fort Lauderdale to the 91 game. First time and hopefully the last time I saw a game in the Carrier Dome. I knew we were in trouble when Kirby Dar Dar (real name) ran a reverse back for a TD on the opening kick off. I found a copy of an old Sun Sentinel article written by our boy Robbie Andreu. Pretty much sums up the bad day at the Dome.

Then I made up for that game by going to the 92 Sugar Bowl . That was a game we should have put away early but as said, injuries and a guy named Jerome Bettis, gutted us up the middle.

GATORS GET 'TAIL KICKING' SYRACUSE VICTORY REVERSES FORTUNES OF NO. 5 FLORIDA
I watched this game on St Johns Island. Great beach day but horrible football day. It was a good evening though.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The 1991 F$U game was the loudest game, start to finish, I’ve ever seen. The crown and Darren Mikell were on Casey Weldon’s back the whole game. Place exploded when Frier the Crier got cut down as a tipped ball drifted his way, preserving the 13-9 win. GREAT year, great game.

There have been loud moments (1997 F$U, 2006 SC, 1995 & 1999 Ut), but I think that was the loudest game.
This is one of my favorites!

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017

1/4 of the crowd had left before that play. Though that moment was very, very loud (granted I don’t know what games Squatch has been to so he might be accurate with how poor it’s been for years overall.

His comment about so loud he went deaf (I describe it as so loud it went silent), has definitely happened on occasion. First time I remember this was the game sealing pick against FSU in ‘97. UT was loud in ‘99, but I don’t remember that explosion, the Cock Block did it in ‘06, and yea probably Bama ‘11. I don’t think theSwamp explodes like that on the Heave to Cleve.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
1/4 of the crowd had left before that play. Though that moment was very, very loud (granted I don’t know what games Squatch has been to so he might be accurate with how poor it’s been for years overall.

His comment about so loud he went deaf (I describe it as so loud it went silent), has definitely happened on occasion. First time I remember this was the game sealing pick against FSU in ‘97. UT was loud in ‘99, but I don’t remember that explosion, the Cock Block did it in ‘06, and yea probably Bama ‘11. I don’t think theSwamp explodes like that on the Heave to Cleve.

This is correct. I’ve actually met people who’d already left in 2015. Add that to the just general glum feel of recent years, including what was actually on the line, and there’s no way a game under WM or JM are competing with the Meyer or Spurrier years.

The other thing to consider with crowd noise is the nature of the play. Naturally when we’re on offense, the crowd would have to go from virtually nothing to loud in an instant. It happens, but it it’s not the same as a big defensive play where the crowd is already yelling and just takes it up a notch. Final drive plays like ut ‘99, the ‘06 block, Thomas’ INT in ‘97, etc. will always have an advantage.

On loudest moments, I’d add as honorable mention, Stewart’s pick-6 last year, Bennie Alexander’s pick-6 against FSU in ‘99, and the seconds before Ward hit Dunn in ‘93. All for the reason listed above. Those last two games don’t get mentioned much because we lost, but were some of the loudest in general as well.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
That moment was loud, but thousands had already left the stadium when UT went up by 13 early in the 4th. Bama game was packed to the gills and everyone was still drunk from tailgating all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator