Gator Basketball ***Official Basketball Thread - Florida vs Loser State University***

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Some of it could be in Locke's head. He had an open 3 that he dribbled into a contested 2 in this game. I think he needs to get some of his confidence back. He's not going to suddenly become a good defender or more athletic, but if he is going to be on the floor he has to get and take his shots to help the team. You are right that he has to move more without the ball and coaches have to help him get open looks.

Of course if we can keep playing up-tempo and scoring inside like we did in this game, his 3's aren't going to be so make or break for team success and his minutes might decrease in order to get a better defender on the floor. Especially if Tre and Scottie can get their 3 pt percentages up. SL has been shooting the 3 with a lot more confidence of late.

I think it is in his head. He dribbled out of an open three and passed out of a couple more. Shooters have to shoot with short memories.

He can’t create shots or shoot near as well off the bounce so he has to catch and shoot. If we keep attacking the rim like last night it will create plenty of opportunities for Locke to sit on the 3.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
IF the Gators win out (and if they play like last night they beat UK) then I think they grab a 7-9 seed in the tourney.
If we winning out included winning the SECT we will be no worse than a 5 and possibly a 4. Of course winning out and winning the SECT would mean we finished winning 10 of our last 11 and 12-2 since Feb 1st making us one of the hottest teams in the country. But I think it is very unlikely we win out from here.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If we winning out included winning the SECT we will be no worse than a 5 and possibly a 4. Of course winning out and winning the SECT would mean we finished winning 10 of our last 11 and 12-2 since Feb 1st making us one of the hottest teams in the country. But I think it is very unlikely we win out from here.

No shiit...

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I see some are minimalizing the win over LSU, no surprise there. The fact is that this was a HUGE win for our tourney hopes and a win over a team ahead of us in the SEC standings, and was also a QUAD 1 win which is what you want to get. Definitely a feather in the cap kind of win. Go Gators!!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I see some are minimalizing the win over LSU, no surprise there. The fact is that this was a HUGE win for our tourney hopes and a win over a team ahead of us in the SEC standings, and was also a QUAD 1 win which is what you want to get. Definitely a feather in the cap kind of win. Go Gators!!
FWIW, it was also a pretty dominant win.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
As for me, I'm not ready to apologize to Mike White yet.

Me neither, but the team has started to gel and IF they continue to play at this level and have a decent showing in the tourney, then he did what he needed to do which was to get the team tournament tough before the tournament starts.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Me neither, but the team has started to gel and IF they continue to play at this level and have a decent showing in the tourney, then he did what he needed to do which was to get the team tournament tough before the tournament starts.
I have thought that those terrible lulls where everyone stands around might have been the result of cmw trying, unsuccessfully, to teach them how to hold a lead late in the game. I can still remember Dean Smith teams doing that so well.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nice win against a quality opponent. No need to cry about the "what if's"...... Just take the win for what it is and act like we've been here before.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I thought he was going to average 20 pts and 8 boards? Sorry Rog :D, couldn't resist, but it was one of the more absurd posts I've seen here in a long time.

Please do not nickname me "Sorry Rog" though. :cool:

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
LSU was not a Quad 1 win

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
a Quad 1 win

= = = ==
The quadrants are defined as follows:

• Quadrant 1: Home games vs. RPI teams ranked in the top 30; neutral games vs. 1-50; away games vs. 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home vs. 31-75 teams; neutral vs. 51-100; away vs. 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home vs. 76-160 teams; neutral vs. 101-200; away vs. 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home vs. 161-plus teams; neutral vs. 201-plus; away vs. 241-plus.[7]
The quadrant system is still in use under the new NET system, with RPI ranking replaced by NET ranking.[3]
= = = == = =

Lee is correct. But I can see where LSU was considered 'ranked' a lot earlier and aren't now. One question that doesn't answer = a top 30 ranked team meaning at the time of the game, or at the end of the season?

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
I believe it is the end of the season. So we want LSU to go on a streak now. That's also why it seems like our net ranking shifts for no apparent reason. Because teams we played slide up or down the scale.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
What happened to that LSU team that played so well against us?
The Gator team that shined Wednesday is not our actual team?? Scottie Lewis excelled. Now is this like Payne, a one-game wonder?
I like best this group, Nembhard, Lewis, and KJ approaching 20 each. Add Blackshear at 12, and Locke at 14. That's 86 ... with our defense, we would cruise, IMO.

I hold in abeyance crediting coach White too much. It would be great if White had instructed our guys to play driving BBall? IDK about Payne? It looks to me like he may be transferring out.? How many snubs by his coach will Payne tolerate? You just don't throw away a 6'10" center. You find a way of making him play himself into the development that he needs & the team needs. Do it again Gators.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
= = = ==
The quadrants are defined as follows:

• Quadrant 1: Home games vs. RPI teams ranked in the top 30; neutral games vs. 1-50; away games vs. 1-75.
  • Quadrant 2: Home vs. 31-75 teams; neutral vs. 51-100; away vs. 76-135.
  • Quadrant 3: Home vs. 76-160 teams; neutral vs. 101-200; away vs. 136-240.
  • Quadrant 4: Home vs. 161-plus teams; neutral vs. 201-plus; away vs. 241-plus.[7]
The quadrant system is still in use under the new NET system, with RPI ranking replaced by NET ranking.[3]
= = = == = =

Lee is correct. But I can see where LSU was considered 'ranked' a lot earlier and aren't now. One question that doesn't answer = a top 30 ranked team meaning at the time of the game, or at the end of the season?
For purposes of the NCAA Tournament, at the time of the selection

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I believe it is the end of the season. So we want LSU to go on a streak now. That's also why it seems like our net ranking shifts for no apparent reason. Because teams we played slide up or down the scale.
Yep, Auburn is borderline top 30 as well, so we need then to keep winning (beating UK at Rupp)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator